No announcement yet.
Collapse

My honest Modern Golf Fitting Review...

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My honest Modern Golf Fitting Review...

Originally posted by Hammer9 View Post
    My factor is currently 2.4 and I know what numbers I was/am looking for.
    Wow, this is truly a shock for me to read.

You are obviously a very good player....for MG to struggle to fit you as you say they did, wow, I just don't know what to say. I was honestly expecting to hear you'd be a 20+ handicap or something like that.

You never mentioned wedges; are they not included in the full bag fitting?

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
      these moan threads never go well because we are exposed to one side of an argument only. We are left to interpret his post as he sees fit to portray his side of it. I took it upon myself to "read between the line" as he was clearly given the opportunity to redo the test, no less than 3 times, but he refused.
      At some point the Op reveals he's a lowcapper and the tone changes.

Modern Golf cannot in good faith respond to this because like many business they have either a written or an inferred client confidentiality agreement.

If the Op request them to release the data tfor us to see they might or he can do it himself if they disc it for him.
      OP will have the data himself....they give it to you when you leave.

I don't really get what happened here. If I went in just for an iron fitting I'd expect to hit at LEAST five different heads and hopefully 3-4 different shafts; I don't think 15 combinations would be unreasonable. When I did my driver fitting the fitter asked me if there was anything else at all that I wanted to try, several times. I felt like I could have stood there all day and hit every single club/shaft they had if I wanted to.

Comment

Originally posted by mrusse01 View Post
        You never mentioned wedges; are they not included in the full bag fitting?
        Full bag fitting is either wedges or putter.
        And for the wedges it needs to be outdoors at Pipers.

Comment

One of my good friends works at MG, I will not say who he is, but the comments about MG catering to a more elite level player are wrong. This is coming from a guy lives and breathes this stuff every day. The majority of their client base is the average golfer, and they actually see the most benefit to the fitting. The better players are the ones who do see some benefit, but it is mostly just being able to hit those predictable shots when they need to.

The higher handicaps are the ones who see the 15+ yard increases with the woods and irons. They're the one's that see the putts suddenly dropping from 10 or more feet away and cut the amount of three putts down to a fraction of what they used to be. I work at a GT store now, and as I've stated many times, have been fitting for at least 7 years (it's been so long I've forgotten). I am now an elite level fitter through GT, and have been for 2-3 years.

From my experiences as a fitter at a so-called "chop shop with little to no knowledge of a fitting process", I would echo my friend's statements that elite level players see little gains compared to the 10 and higher handicaps after a fitting. You MG devotees can gripe and complain about GT all you want and how lackluster our fittings may be, but as this thread hints, sometimes it is the fitter doing it, not the establishment as a whole.

This year alone, I've gained a guy 50 yards over his old driver, gained two guys 10-20 yards over their old drivers. Gained a guy 15 yards with a set of irons and cut his dispersion in half using the same set of MP-54's just by tweaking the shaft slightly. The list goes on. Yes, MG facility is impressive, but I really, really, really beg to differ that they could find a combination that would fit someone heads and tails better than I could using their facility and me using mine.
          Last edited by Phatchrisrules; Jun 11, 2014, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Man, it seems no one can come on here and say anything negative about a sponsor without getting jumped. Can we even talk about other companies on this website? I've been to both Modern Golf and The Golf Lab and I like The Golf Lab better. So, what? I don't need all these MG supporters giving me reasons how MG is better or how I could improve my MG experience. If it sucked for someone, it sucked.

Comment

Originally posted by Phatchrisrules View Post
              One of my good friends works at MG, I will not say who he is, but the comments about MG catering to a more elite level player are wrong. This is coming from a guy lives and breathes this stuff every day. The majority of their client base is the average golfer, and they actually see the most benefit to the fitting. The better players are the ones who do see some benefit, but it is mostly just being able to hit those predictable shots when they need to.

The higher handicaps are the ones who see the 15+ yard increases with the woods and irons. They're the one's that see the putts suddenly dropping from 10 or more feet away and cut the amount of three putts down to a fraction of what they used to be. I work at a GT store now, and as I've stated many times, have been fitting for at least 7 years (it's been so long I've forgotten). I am now an elite level fitter through GT, and have been for 2-3 years, and was actually offered a job at MG but couldn't make the commute feasible.

From my experiences as a fitter at a so-called "chop shop with little to no knowledge of a fitting process", I would echo my friend's statements that elite level players see little gains compared to the 10 and higher handicaps after a fitting. You MG devotees can gripe and complain about GT all you want and how lackluster our fittings may be, but as this thread hints, sometimes it is the fitter doing it, not the establishment as a whole.

This year alone, I've gained a guy 50 yards over his old driver, gained two guys 10-20 yards over their old drivers. Gained a guy 15 yards with a set of irons and cut his dispersion in half using the same set of MP-54's just by tweaking the shaft slightly. The list goes on. Yes, MG facility is impressive, but I really, really, really beg to differ that they could find a combination that would fit someone heads and tails better than I could using their facility and me using mine.
              with the old sims how were you guys able to fit people if the simulator couldn't read proper spin numbers. from what I was been told the spin numbers weren't correct

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                a consistent 7-12 h/c for the past 11 years.
                Is this consistent? I figure if you can get down to mid singles, you are likely going to be able to get around a course without huge damage for much of your life as you have good shot selection, decent putting, decent short game, likely have some tricks in your bag etc. I don't see you coming back and being a 17 unless you broke your arm off and they re-attached it ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by petvan View Post
                  Is this consistent? I figure if you can get down to mid singles, you are likely going to be able to get around a course without huge damage for much of your life as you have good shot selection, decent putting, decent short game, likely have some tricks in your bag etc. I don't see you coming back and being a 17 unless you broke your arm off and they re-attached it ;-)
                  I guess right now I am consistently inconsistent
                  "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by chachi1984 View Post
                    with the old sims how were you guys able to fit people if the simulator couldn't read proper spin numbers. from what I was been told the spin numbers weren't correct
                    Quite simply, actually. X driver goes 250 w/ 3500 RPM and 15* launch. Driver Y goes 256 w/ 3000 RPM and 15* launch. Driver Z goes 265 w/ 2600 RPM of spin and 13.5 launch. Driver Z wins. Whether or not the numbers are exactly correct, driver Z still hits the ball farther with less spin while still maintaining optimal launch characteristics. Could there possibly be a better fit out there if the numbers were bang on spec? Absolutely.

However, every launch monitor has its pros and cons. Sims are there to get feel and relational numbers between certain products. Foresight is apparently a very good monitor, but not one of the best. Trackman is argued as the best, but is only perfect if it is done outside. So, MG's monitor is not perfect either. Sure, it's better than our sims, but I wouldn't say it's light years ahead of our Foresights. I've hit on both, and total distance was within 3 yards, launch was within .75 of a degree and spin was ~300 RPM different. Not too shabby IMO.

Comment

When talking about custom fitting nothing replaces knowledge. A good fitter can almost "eye" you up and pretty much put you into something that works. You can hide a lot of incompetence behind a simulator and fitting programs.

I have my last two sets of clubs made by an independent fitter and will not go back to big retail outlets. Any moron can operate a fitting system like Mizuno's (which IMO is a good system) and point out on the screen what your specs are.

But the guys who know their stuff will shy away from that. They do that by using components that have tried and tested and know how they react. There are many builders on this forum and I don't understand why people don't go to them?

When i was still in hockey I had my skates sharpened by the same guy for almost 20 years. He worked in a little pro shop in a rink. He'd ask what you want put a dime on the blade and cut it perfectly everytime. You don't get that kind of consistency at National Gym or even Just Hockey for that matter (although you did when they were just a little store in Scarborough).
                      WHAT SITS ON MY CLIC-GEAR
                      Alpha Golf C830.4 SP700 Plasma 10* Platinum 65 gr
                      Alpha Golf Version 5 3wd 15* Platinum 65gr
                      Alpha Golf C830 19* Platinum 60 gr
                      Alpha C2 Fly 4- G/W Platinum 60 gr
                      Snake Eyes 675 WB 54* & 58* FST 90 gr
                      Heavy Putter A1 33"
                      " The secret is in the dirt "....... Ben Hogan

Comment

Originally posted by hogannut View Post
                        When talking about custom fitting nothing replaces knowledge. A good fitter can almost "eye" you up and pretty much put you into something that works. You can hide a lot of incompetence behind a simulator and fitting programs.

I have my last two sets of clubs made by an independent fitter and will not go back to big retail outlets. Any moron can operate a fitting system like Mizuno's (which IMO is a good system) and point out on the screen what your specs are.

But the guys who know their stuff will shy away from that. They do that by using components that have tried and tested and know how they react. There are many builders on this forum and I don't understand why people don't go to them?

When i was still in hockey I had my skates sharpened by the same guy for almost 20 years. He worked in a little pro shop in a rink. He'd ask what you want put a dime on the blade and cut it perfectly everytime. You don't get that kind of consistency at National Gym or even Just Hockey for that matter (although you did when they were just a little store in Scarborough).
                        I agree with this
                        When I did my driver fitting at modern we went away from the SLDR and got back into an r1 with lower setting and 3 open face
                        I have been fit by basically every manufacturer at some point and never had this combo even close to being handed to me

Comment

Just an update for everyone following this post. Modern Golf did reach out to me and offer for me to come back in free of charge. This is what great companies do; I am impressed for them reaching out to me as they definitely could have waited for me to contact them. They took the initiative to make things right in my opinion and stand by their brand at the same time. Great custom service highlighted here guys.

Comment

Just an update for everyone following this post. Modern Golf did reach out to me and offer for me to come back in free of charge. This is what great companies do; I am impressed for them reaching out to me as they definitely could have waited for me to contact them. They took the initiative to make things right in my opinion and stand by their brand at the same time. Great custom service highlighted here guys.
                            Not surprised (but glad to hear!). They really are 2nd to none. Here's a video they posted today featuring the aforementioned Ian Fraser.

Comment

Glad to hear it, but not surprised. I don't see myself going back for another fitting at MG until my swing and overall game improves, but I have nothing but praise for how they run their after sales and customer service programs.

Comment

Originally posted by Phatchrisrules View Post
                                Quite simply, actually. X driver goes 250 w/ 3500 RPM and 15* launch. Driver Y goes 256 w/ 3000 RPM and 15* launch. Driver Z goes 265 w/ 2600 RPM of spin and 13.5 launch. Driver Z wins. Whether or not the numbers are exactly correct, driver Z still hits the ball farther with less spin while still maintaining optimal launch characteristics. Could there possibly be a better fit out there if the numbers were bang on spec? Absolutely.

However, every launch monitor has its pros and cons. Sims are there to get feel and relational numbers between certain products. Foresight is apparently a very good monitor, but not one of the best. Trackman is argued as the best, but is only perfect if it is done outside. So, MG's monitor is not perfect either. Sure, it's better than our sims, but I wouldn't say it's light years ahead of our Foresights. I've hit on both, and total distance was within 3 yards, launch was within .75 of a degree and spin was ~300 RPM different. Not too shabby IMO.
                                Chris,

You are talking about club fitting in it's most basic form. At Modern Golf we use Trackman for far more than just the basic Launch Angle, Spin Rate and Ball Speed numbers. Sure its important to optimize the launch characteristics but I want to know about how the golfer delivers the golf club, can i postivley influence his/her swing by altering the characteristics of the club. For example gaining control of the face to path relationship by adjusting the lie of an iron or the face angle on a driver will provide a more predictable ball flight, acheiving an optimal spin loft by altering the dynamic loft (the loft the club has at impact) of the golf club will allow us to dictate what happens in the much overlooked second half of the ball flight where we are looking to acheive a specific angle of decent for that particular club, i could go on and on about the differences as there are many.

It is comendable that you are helping golfers improve and offering good club fitting advice, keep it up as we are all in this for the same reason, to help golfers enjoy the game more.

Ian

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X