Collapse

Putts are fading

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Putts are fading

Maybe the grip isn't square to the putter face?

Comment

I'm a bit confused why so many are surprised at a putt fading. My buddy and playing partner for years before he moved put a slice stroke on every putt he made and they all spun to the right. In scrambles I would account for this and if the putt was 2 balls outside left, I would tell him 4 balls. And I should add, he was a very decent putter.

Comment

Originally posted by RicoSuave View Post
        I'm a bit confused why so many are surprised at a putt fading. My buddy and playing partner for years before he moved put a slice stroke on every putt he made and they all spun to the right. In scrambles I would account for this and if the putt was 2 balls outside left, I would tell him 4 balls. And I should add, he was a very decent putter.
        Completely agree... one of my friend (5 hdcp) does this all the time. He basically cut the ball... outside in path... ball will have a bit of spin on it and fade at the end...
        If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Chambokl View Post
          Completely agree... one of my friend (5 hdcp) does this all the time. He basically cut the ball... outside in path... ball will have a bit of spin on it and fade at the end...
          Sorry...can't see it. The ball will be rolling end over end within the first foot of the putt. Probably 8" actually. The ball is airbourn for a half dozen inches but then it hits the ground and begins to roll. To cut a ball and have it spin where it affects the path late in the putt would blow putts way past the hole.

When Phil Mickelson created his new DVD, he provided some valuable information on the importance of the putter making contact with the ball at the optimum an...

Comment

Originally posted by parskiandhutch View Post
            Sorry...can't see it. The ball will be rolling end over end within the first foot of the putt. Probably 8" actually. The ball is airbourn for a half dozen inches but then it hits the ground and begins to roll. To cut a ball and have it spin where it affects the path late in the putt would blow putts way past the hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQuYAyxUChY
            Have to agree there. I doubt very much that anyone could hit a real putt (i.e. on a green to a specific distance) such that there was 'spin' on the ball.

Comment

The ball can miss even on off center hits and has been proven with robotics. We did testing at Ralph Maltby's and it does happen. Toe up or down can also influence the initial direction as putters have loft. We tested this on 22 foot putts and the robot missed every time.
              Regards
              Dan

True Length Technology TM
              Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
              True Frequency Technology TM
              - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
              - Master
              Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
              - Advanced / Professional
              Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
              - Class 'A'

Comment

Originally posted by danscustomgolfshop View Post
                The ball can miss even on off center hits and has been proven with robotics. We did testing at Ralph Maltby's and it does happen. Toe up or down can also influence the initial direction as putters have loft. We tested this on 22 foot putts and the robot missed every time.
                But that's a straight push or pull. You have to start the ball on the right line, but spin on the ball due to putter stroke causing late breaks?

Comment

what Dan is saying is that the loft of a putter can change the direction of the putt if the lie is not properly set for you.

ie. toe up- the putters face will direct the ball path to the inside, and vice versa.
                  things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

But that's a straight push or pull. You have to start the ball on the right line, but spin on the ball due to putter stroke causing late breaks?
                    I have debated this multiple times on this forum, apparently there is a large number of people who don't understand the concept of friction.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyorbetter View Post
                      I have debated this multiple times on this forum, apparently there is a large number of people who don't understand the concept of friction.
                      You mean like the friction between the ball and grass once it skips and starts rolling end over end?

Comment

You mean like the friction between the ball and grass once it skips and starts rolling end over end?
                        the same friction that prevents the ball from having side spin.

Comment

The friction when the ball skips (usually at the beginning of the putt) is affected by the kinetic coefficient of friction which is lower than the static coefficient of friction that occurs on the part of the putt where the ball is rolling end over end. So the answer is YES, you can impart a slice putt or a draw putt but it looks a little different than the ball flight in air.

The best example I can give is to watch a pro bowler impart a spin on a bowling ball. In golf, the off axis putt due to a non orthogonal stroke is less pronounced but over 20', it is enough for you to miss the hole.
                          What's in my ClicGear-3.5 or Turf Chopper cart?

TM SIM2 Max Driver, 10.5 R shaft
                          TM R5 3FW w/Nunchuk shaft
                          TM Rescue Mid 3, 4, 5 w/E-21
                          Eagle One shafts
                          PXG Gen 1 0311 6 - PW w/E-21 Eagle One shafts
                          '09 Vokey SM 52, 56, 60
                          Scotty Cameron Studio Select 2.0 Putter
                          Pro-V1x

Home Course at CL Glendale - Hamilton

Comment

Originally posted by igoping View Post
                            The friction when the ball skips (usually at the beginning of the putt) is affected by the kinetic coefficient of friction which is lower than the static coefficient of friction that occurs on the part of the putt where the ball is rolling end over end. So the answer is YES, you can impart a slice putt or a draw putt but it looks a little different than the ball flight in air.

The best example I can give is to watch a pro bowler impart a spin on a bowling ball. In golf, the off axis putt due to a non orthogonal stroke is less pronounced but over 20', it is enough for you to miss the hole.
                            I have an economics degree. You obviously have something else so I won't get into that discussion with you, but a bowling ball spins while it glides down the lane. My guess is the weight and speed of the ball and how little friction there is between the ball and lane are the reason why. I'm still not convinced you can put enough spin on a putt to make it break late.

Comment

Yes, I have an engineering degree but it was the guys at The Golf Lab in Vaughan that pointed this phenomenon to me. I was stunned at the notion but the SAM Putting rig can capture my stroke in 3 dimensions and I can purposely skew the putt to make it break. As for when it breaks, it depends on the point at which the skipping part of the roll converts to the end over end roll. This point occurs based on many factors related to the friction between the grass and the ball (turf make up, moisture/dew content, etc). Once a putt is a rolling with no slippage, it has to roll in the axis of rotation however. I don't believe that occurs at the end of a putt but more at the first third to the midpoint of the putt but again, there many factors that come into play.
                              What's in my ClicGear-3.5 or Turf Chopper cart?

TM SIM2 Max Driver, 10.5 R shaft
                              TM R5 3FW w/Nunchuk shaft
                              TM Rescue Mid 3, 4, 5 w/E-21
                              Eagle One shafts
                              PXG Gen 1 0311 6 - PW w/E-21 Eagle One shafts
                              '09 Vokey SM 52, 56, 60
                              Scotty Cameron Studio Select 2.0 Putter
                              Pro-V1x

Home Course at CL Glendale - Hamilton

Comment

I've tried to follow the logic of the points being made here.

If I have a PING putter (purchased on BST, BTW) with a strong arc, and I've been fitted for a slight arc, do I put the lead tape on the heel or the toe to address this problem? Or does lead tape not fix my problem?

Why did I buy this specific putter? It was improperly labelled with the nice shiny PING tag on the shaft and I didn't check the balance.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X