Collapse

After the fitting...

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After the fitting...

So I have a noob question (although been golfing on and off for while but just casually and off the shelf high 90's golfer).

I have started a thread about which irons to get and got A LOT of good advice.. people were saying to get fitted at GT for $60.. which i think is good enough for me.

BUT!

I have a budget on total funds i want to spend on new clubs... the recommendations people made range from 800-1200 (before tax).

now if i spend the $60 what happens afterwards? i know recommendation of clubs... but if i need to change the length, shaft and lie how much more can this cost?

spending $1100 is probably my max budget at the moment...

Re: After the fitting...

You could do your fitting and maybe buy used if you are okay with older models. Lots of good stuff on here, Sportsyard and online.

Comment

At GT having the clubs made to your measurements shouldn't change the price. They just get put together at the factory with proper sized components before being sent to you. If you're making changes to clubs you already own or are having heavily customized clubs with third party manufacturers shafts and grips being made, that's when it gets pricey.

If I'm wrong someone will correct me

Comment

I always thought the fitting fee was waived if you buy your clubs at GT after being fit.

Comment

Originally posted by WRXgolfer View Post
          .......I have started a thread about which irons to get and got A LOT of good advice.. people were saying to get fitted at GT for $60.. which i think is good enough for me.............BUT! I have a budget on total funds i want to spend on new clubs... the recommendations people made range from 800-1200 (before tax)........
          now if i spend the $60 what happens afterwards? i know recommendation of clubs... but if i need to change the length, shaft and lie how much more can this cost?
          You didn't mention your budget in your other post or I am sure others would have made other suggestions. But getting fit is very important especially when you are going to shell out several hundred. Don't make the mistake of only trying a set because it fits your budget right now and don't mis out trying other brands members suggested because it is just outside your budget.

1. Can't speak to all but I know Callaway, Mizuno, and PING do the custom fit options for loft, lie, length free of charge. Only downside is you will have to wait 10-14 days to get your clubs rather than buying and walking out the door.

2. As I commented in your other post Mizuno is also offering free shaft and grip upgrades for all options they carry. I know vs. callaway that was a savings of $25 per each shaft and $5 saving each grip I wanted x 8 = $240 total savings.

3. The Mizuno DNA swing test fitting and PING (I thnk) is free when you purchase those brands of irons. So while they are at the upper end of your budget it may at the end of the day be the most affordable option. Right off the bat if you go with either brand you save $60..
          Last edited by chrish8; Jun 16, 2016, 01:28 PM.
          In the Bag

Driver: Epic Flash Sub Zero - Accra FX-260
          Fairway Wood: Cobra F8 - Tensei CK Orange
          Hybrid:Mizuno JPX 900 - Accra FX-200H
          Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Tours - KBS C-Taper
          Wedges: Mizuno S7 Blu-ion - 49*, 53.5*, 59* - DG Spinner
          Putter:Bobby Grace Smart Fit F18
          Ball: Bx or Z-Star XV
          --------
          Home Course - Clublink

Comment

Originally posted by chrish8 View Post
            You didn't mention your budget in your other post or I am sure others would have made other suggestions. But getting fit is very important especially when you are going to shell out several hundred. Don't make the mistake of only trying a set because it fits your budget right now and don't mis out trying other brands members suggested because it is just outside your budget.

1. Can't speak to all but I know Callaway, Mizuno, and PING do the custom fit options for loft, lie, length free of charge. Only downside is you will have to wait 10-14 days to get your clubs rather than buying and walking out the door.

2. As I commented in your other post Mizuno is also offering free shaft and grip upgrades for all options they carry. I know vs. callaway that was a savings of $25 per each shaft and $5 saving each grip I wanted x 8 = $240 total savings.

3. The Mizuno DNA swing test fitting and PING (I thnk) is free when you purchase those brands of irons. So while they are at the upper end of your budget it may at the end of the day be the most affordable option. Right off the bat if you go with either brand you save $60..
            Thanks again for being so helpful ; > yah i should mentioned my budget haha... one of the main reasons the Vapor Flys are at the top of my list is the $899 price tag..

i called golf town and they said if you buy clubs from them all the fittings are free except shaft replacements...so if i need shafts it might be the same price to go with the mizunos .. also the $60 is not waived cause it's a third party they use to do the fitting.

he said it takes 2-3 weeks.. i am going on a golf trip july 8th so i am hoping it doesn't get delayed haha

Comment

Thanks again for being so helpful ; > yah i should mentioned my budget haha... one of the main reasons the Vapor Flys are at the top of my list is the $899 price tag..

so if i need shafts it might be the same price to go with the mizunos .. also the $60 is not waived cause it's a third party they use to do the fitting.

he said it takes 2-3 weeks.. i am going on a golf trip july 8th so i am hoping it doesn't get delayed haha
              Yup mentioning the budget would have helped I am sure as I am sure others would have made other suggestions. If the nikes are in your budget then you pretty made up you mind based on $$$.

Hopefully the shafts they fit you for are free.

The Mizuno and PING fitting is totally separate from the Golf Town fitting.

Mizuno uses a device called the DNA (http://www.mizunousa.com/Golf/Custom-Irons ) to get 3 shafts choices you like (which is what the other Chris ref to in your other post) The golf town employee then measures you for loft, lie, length they then put all that into the DNA software and send the order and spec sheet off to Mizuno . Your order number is your serial should you ever need a replacement. When I did mine it took 8-10 days I believe

Ping uses this http://www.ping.com/fitting/cartprog.aspx and they go through the full DOT system and lie board test I believe.
              In the Bag

--------
              Home Course - Clublink

Comment

Originally posted by Kriz View Post
                I always thought the fitting fee was waived if you buy your clubs at GT after being fit.
                It is, but if you utilize the swing labs software, that is not waived. As WRX mentioned, it is a third party system that GT gets charged every time it is used. To be completely transparent, since I work there, if I were to use it to fit myself, I still have to pay to use it as well. It's not GT just tacking on $20, $40, or $60 for the fun of making a little extra cash on top.

i called golf town and they said if you buy clubs from them all the fittings are free except shaft replacements...so if i need shafts it might be the same price to go with the mizunos .. also the $60 is not waived cause it's a third party they use to do the fitting.

As others have said, keep an open mind. You never know what could happen. I will say this though, unless a different shaft is going to make a TREMENDOUS difference in the ball flight of your clubs, and Nike is what you pick, I would forgo special ordering them. They are notoriously slow, and could take up 5 weeks to come from them. They were pretty quick in April/early May, where they were turning stuff around in the standard 3 weeks, but they have since crawled back to their 5-6 week turnaround. I always try and sell Nike from stock if I can due to the delay.

Comment

Originally posted by chrish8 View Post
                  Yup mentioning the budget would have helped I am sure as I am sure others would have made other suggestions. If the nikes are in your budget then you pretty made up you mind based on $$$.

Hopefully the shafts they fit you for are free.

The Mizuno and PING fitting is totally separate from the Golf Town fitting.

Mizuno uses a device called the DNA (http://www.mizunousa.com/Golf/Custom-Irons ) to get 3 shafts choices you like (which is what the other Chris ref to in your other post) The golf town employee then measures you for loft, lie, length they then put all that into the DNA software and send the order and spec sheet off to Mizuno . Your order number is your serial should you ever need a replacement. When I did mine it took 8-10 days I believe

Ping uses this http://www.ping.com/fitting/cartprog.aspx and they go through the full DOT system and lie board test I believe.
                  sweet now it makes sense ; >

Originally posted by Phatchrisrules View Post
                  It is, but if you utilize the swing labs software, that is not waived. As WRX mentioned, it is a third party system that GT gets charged every time it is used. To be completely transparent, since I work there, if I were to use it to fit myself, I still have to pay to use it as well. It's not GT just tacking on $20, $40, or $60 for the fun of making a little extra cash on top.

As others have said, keep an open mind. You never know what could happen. I will say this though, unless a different shaft is going to make a TREMENDOUS difference in the ball flight of your clubs, and Nike is what you pick, I would forgo special ordering them. They are notoriously slow, and could take up 5 weeks to come from them. They were pretty quick in April/early May, where they were turning stuff around in the standard 3 weeks, but they have since crawled back to their 5-6 week turnaround. I always try and sell Nike from stock if I can due to the delay.
                  whoo that is not good.... i need it in 3 weeks ;< there's no option to get it done afterwards?

dang it.... i just got the extra funds and hence started looking now... plus father's day... didn't know or take these into consideration..thought 3 weeks would be plenty ; <

Comment

sweet now it makes sense ; >

whoo that is not good.... i need it in 3 weeks ;< there's no option to get it done afterwards?

dang it.... i just got the extra funds and hence started looking now... plus father's day... didn't know or take these into consideration..thought 3 weeks would be plenty ; <
                    That's really only the case with Nike. So see what happens in your fitting. Don't let the potential to not have them for a golf trip sway your decision at all. Buy what works best for you and also fits your budget.

Comment

Went to golf town here in milton.. the guys were super nice.. made appointment for tmw ; >

they said they would call the company and see if they can get it done in 2 weeks.. if not
                      they said that if my adjustments are only 1/4 inch on length and lies they can do it for me for free... is that recommended?

Comment

if not
                        they said that if my adjustments are only 1/4 inch on length and lies they can do it for me for free... is that recommended?
                        I think that unless you are a single digit handicap you'll do just fine. BTW there are a lot of clubs on sale for Fathers Day so make sure you keep an open mind as there may be more options than Nike. Good luck.
                        - Vessel Cart Bag
                        - Callaway Rogue ST Max LS driver
                        - Callaway UW 17° & 21°
                        - Callaway Apex TCB irons (5-AW)
                        - Callaway Full Toe 54 & 58 wedges
                        - Toulon Chicago putter

Comment

Originally posted by Kriz View Post
                          No. It is added on. If you walk in and say "I want X irons.", there is no fitting fee. For a Club Compare or Ultimate Iron Fit, you pay
                          In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
                          Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, KuroKage 606 S
                          TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                          TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
                          PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
                          TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
                          Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
                          TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

thanks guys.. i think i have idea now what happens after my fitting ; >

i am biased towards nike cause i've been using them for 10 years and i like them, but yes i will definitely keep an open mind..

Comment

Originally posted by Phatchrisrules View Post
                              As others have said, keep an open mind. You never know what could happen.
                              I would have to agree with Chris 100% on this comment and even more so that you have a budget set (which is a good thing as golf clubs can get silly).

You may even want to go on your trip with your old clubs to take some time and think/make a clear choice and reduce the urge to buy a set based on price and time frame.

A set of new irons is a fairly large purchase which you will likely have for a LONG time (unless your RACMBs ). You would not want to make the same mistake that happened with your last purchase just because you placed the majority of your selection on price.

using the nike combos were tough....... i only bought em cause they were $300..................
                              Also most GT have a clearance wall so make sure you check that out as well as you maybe able to pickup old new stock (last years models) or the in store demos

i.e http://www.golftown.com/TaylorMade-R...-Shafts-17265# or http://www.golftown.com/Wilson-Staff...4#.V2P_p7srIdU or http://www.golftown.com/PING-G30-4-P...7#.V2QAjbsrIdU
                              Last edited by chrish8; Jun 17, 2016, 08:52 AM.
                              In the Bag

--------
                              Home Course - Clublink

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...