Collapse

Advice on Lessons

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Lessons

I should think about getting an instructor for next season. Someone's probably already posted, but any recommendations on a good teacher around the Steeles/Warden area?

What's the average cost for instructions?

the only one I've tried is "Gary Kent's School of golf" located at Steeles & Markham rd. I believe they also have a winter location at 14th and woodbine area.

I personally didn't have a great experience with them as I felt the lessons were not very professional. But... I've heard good things from other golfers. Maybe it is just not my style. You can probably look them up on the web.

Comment

Originally posted by Milestones
      the only one I've tried is "Gary Kent's School of golf" located at Steeles & Markham rd. I believe they also have a winter location at 14th and woodbine area.

I personally didn't have a great experience with them as I felt the lessons were not very professional. But... I've heard good things from other golfers. Maybe it is just not my style. You can probably look them up on the web.
      I took lessons from an instructor at Elgin Mills & Woodbine, I thought he was a good instructor. He is certified here in Canada and in the USA. I have his contact info if you want it, just PM me.

Comment

Hey Ems, I actually posted in another thread about when to take golf lessons. Everyone told me that it would be best to wait till the 1 or 2 months before the start of next golf season. So I am going to start around March. But right now I don't have a golf school in mind. I'll definitely let you know when I decide on one so that we can compare.
        You may contact me with general questions about the forum.
        Advertising requests should be emailed to advertise@torontogolfnuts.com.
        Contact us to organize a TGN golf day/TGN tournament at your golf course, email events@torontogolfnuts.com.
        Thank you to all our members and sponsors for your continued support. Looking forward to a brand new golf season.

Comment

Originally posted by Mok
          I took lessons from an instructor at Elgin Mills & Woodbine, I thought he was a good instructor. He is certified here in Canada and in the USA. I have his contact info if you want it, just PM me.
          Mok,

At Elgin Mills and Woodbine the instructor there is CGTF. Meaning, NOT CPGA. Now he could be a very good instructor but he lacks the official teaching certification. CGTF is basically not certified. The playing test for the "title" only requires you to shoot in the mid 80's whereas you need to shoot a combined score of 156 over two rounds to gain your CPGA teaching certification in the playing test.

Would you rather go to a doctor that has gone through medical school or taken an online course? Now there is a chance that the online course doctor is a very good one and one that goes through med school can be lousy. However, real doctors would be upset if these fraudulent ones were allowed to go around and practice. This is sort of how CGTF guys are viewed in pro golf's inner circle. They don't get playing priviledges on courses or any perks. They just take lessons away from CPGA professionals.

Now this is just my opinion and nothign personal against the instructor at the driving range and Woodbine and Elgin. I don't know him, have not taken lessons from him. What I DO know is that I would spend my money on CPGA professionals only.

My $0.02.

Kevin
          WITB:
          Driver: Cleveland Classic 290(Miyazaki)
          3W: Callaway XR Pro 3 Deep 14* (Diamana 70 I'Lima)
          2H: Adams Pro Gold(Matrix Ozik Altus)
          4-PW: Callaway X-Prototype (Aerotech Steelfiber I95)
          56: Callaway X-Forged (Dynamic Gold)
          60: Callaway X-Forged (Rifle Spinner)
          Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Mid Slant Pro Platinum

Comment

Oh yeah. and Gary Kent, mentioned above, is a CPGA professional. You basically want someone with all the equipment (e.g., V1 Swing Analysis Software) and experience. Gary Kent has been doing his thing for quite a while. Pretty good player too.
            WITB:
            Driver: Cleveland Classic 290(Miyazaki)
            3W: Callaway XR Pro 3 Deep 14* (Diamana 70 I'Lima)
            2H: Adams Pro Gold(Matrix Ozik Altus)
            4-PW: Callaway X-Prototype (Aerotech Steelfiber I95)
            56: Callaway X-Forged (Dynamic Gold)
            60: Callaway X-Forged (Rifle Spinner)
            Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Mid Slant Pro Platinum

Comment

Thanks everyone, I think I'll follow QB's advice and wait until around March to start taking lessons. But all the feedback on the different instructors around me are good. It'll help when I need to make a decision in March.

Comment

Originally posted by Special_K
                Mok,

At Elgin Mills and Woodbine the instructor there is CGTF. Meaning, NOT CPGA. Now he could be a very good instructor but he lacks the official teaching certification. CGTF is basically not certified. The playing test for the "title" only requires you to shoot in the mid 80's whereas you need to shoot a combined score of 156 over two rounds to gain your CPGA teaching certification in the playing test.

Would you rather go to a doctor that has gone through medical school or taken an online course? Now there is a chance that the online course doctor is a very good one and one that goes through med school can be lousy. However, real doctors would be upset if these fraudulent ones were allowed to go around and practice. This is sort of how CGTF guys are viewed in pro golf's inner circle. They don't get playing priviledges on courses or any perks. They just take lessons away from CPGA professionals.

Now this is just my opinion and nothign personal against the instructor at the driving range and Woodbine and Elgin. I don't know him, have not taken lessons from him. What I DO know is that I would spend my money on CPGA professionals only.

My $0.02.

Kevin
                The reason I took lessons from the guy at Elgin Mills & Woodbine is that I got a good deal from him.

For a golf instructor, I definitely would be impressed if they can shoot a low score, but I wouldn't be using that aspect as a standard as to which governing body is better. I mean, just because someone can shoot better means they are the better teacher? I don't know much about the 2 governing bodies but I just wanted to point that out.

Comment

Re: Advice on Lessons

When I started a few years ago, I took one of Gary's group lessons. It was a great start to the sport and very reasonably priced.

This year, I took lessons with a "new" (very young) CPGA pro at Angus Glen. The price was excellent (4 one-hour lessons plus a round of golf for $200), and the instructor was very good as well. I noticed some immediate improvements in my game. I will be going back for the same thing in the spring.
                  Ping G425 Max 9*, Accra TZ6 55 M3
                  TM Sim 2 Ti 13.5*, Accra TZ6 65 M3
                  TM Sim 2 Max 18*, Accra TZ6 65 M3
                  Ping G425 3h, Tensei Orange R
                  TM P790 5-GW, Modus 105 R
                  Cleveland CBX 56*, wedge flex
                  Cleveland CBX Zipcore 60*, wedge flex
                  LAB Mezz, Accra
                  Current hcp ~ 14

Comment

Originally posted by SW20 MR2
                    When I started a few years ago, I took one of Gary's group lessons. It was a great start to the sport and very reasonably priced.

This year, I took lessons with a "new" (very young) CPGA pro at Angus Glen. The price was excellent (4 one-hour lessons plus a round of golf for $200), and the instructor was very good as well. I noticed some immediate improvements in my game. I will be going back for the same thing in the spring.
                    wow that is a great deal, especially since you get the round of golf at Angus Glen!

Comment

can u give more details and if this deal is available to everyone
                      u said its 4x1hr lessons plus a round of golf at angus glen...
                      can u PM me this guy im looking to get some lessons..
                      thanks
                      You're In Good Hands

Adams speedline f11 9.5*
                      2H nickent
                      4H taylormade rescue
                      5-PW Tourstage Z101
                      52*56*60* vokeys
                      Yes sophia
                      Nike pdsoft

Comment

I will speak to him in the Spring and see if he will be offering the same package to everyone. He was just finishing up his CPGA certification, so it might have been a package to build his clientele for the first little while. If he will be offering the same thing, I'll be sure to pass on the contact info to everyone else.
                        Ping G425 Max 9*, Accra TZ6 55 M3
                        TM Sim 2 Ti 13.5*, Accra TZ6 65 M3
                        TM Sim 2 Max 18*, Accra TZ6 65 M3
                        Ping G425 3h, Tensei Orange R
                        TM P790 5-GW, Modus 105 R
                        Cleveland CBX 56*, wedge flex
                        Cleveland CBX Zipcore 60*, wedge flex
                        LAB Mezz, Accra
                        Current hcp ~ 14

Comment

I will speak to him in the Spring and see if he will be offering the same package to everyone. He was just finishing up his CPGA certification, so it might have been a package to build his clientele for the first little while. If he will be offering the same thing, I'll be sure to pass on the contact info to everyone else.
                          Can you let me know too?

Thanks

Skuller

"It's hard to soar like an eagle when you're surrounded by turkeys!"

Comment

I am taking lessons from frank ford. Does anyone have any info on him.
                            I'm not a pro, but i did stay in a holiday inn express last night

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                            X