Collapse

Pebble Beach

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pebble Beach

So it looks as though I'm going to be able to check this off the bucket list! Haven't done a ton of research so I figured I'd start here and see if anyone has any tips/suggestions. I will be taking my father and will just be the 2 of us. I was thinking we would just stay on the property and also do a couple other rounds including Spyglass. Again, suggestions on other courses would be appreciated! Also, when is the best time of the year to go? Not super familiar with the climate changes in California. Any info is much appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Pebble Beach

Congrats!

Have a look through here:

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
    TM SLDR 10.5*
    TM SLDR 3W & TM V-Steel 5W
    TM Rescue 22*
    4-PW Mix of Mizuno MX-25's and TM RBZ's
    Wedges: Titleist SM 53* & 56*
    Ping Ketch
    Ball: What's on sale?

Comment

We were there last August...while the rest of California was warm Monterey was cold and foggy.

I played the Del Monte course (the cheapest of the four Pebble Beach courses) - teed off at 730 in early August and it was 6 degrees out. The gentleman I was paired up with said that was typical weather for August. They don't warm up until late September/ early October.

Comment

If you are going to stay on the resort, they have packages you could look at..... 2 nights/3 rounds of golf include 1 at Pebble usually starting at $2,800 USD.

When I went I stayed offsite, I pre-booked my tee time calling 3 weeks in advance (I may have been lucky as sometimes you hear that you can't do it, but give the reservation agent some good Canadian charm and they should help you out).

I didn't play any other course on the peninsula but Spyglass would be next on my list, if you are a member at club your pro could probably call/send a letter to MPCC to get you one of the courses but will be $400USD. I heard Blackhorse &Bayonet courses are the best bang for your buck, I think under $100.

I would suggest playing Pasatiempo in Santa Cruz (1 hour away), it's a Alister MacKenzie course which has similar green complexes to Augusta National.

Comment

Pacific Grove is good fun and great value...

Pacific Grove Golf Links is a historic, 18-hole golf course featuring both parkland and links-style nines. Situated on the tip of the scenic Monterey Peninsula, overlooking Point Pinos and the Pacific Ocean

Comment

Thanks guys.. so early October is going to be my best bet by the sounds of it and other posts I've read. Is flying into San Francisco/San Jose my best bet for flights? We will be renting a car to do some site seeing while we're there. I'll also add Pasatiempo to the list by popular demand. This is a one time thing so may as well go all out! As for booking does anyone know the best route? We will likely do the 2 night with 2 or 3 round package then stay off site the rest of the week.

Comment

I did PB 5 years ago and still remember every shot....you will love it.
              They told me the weather is the same every day from April to October about 19 degrees in the afternoon. I teed off in the fog (820am) but by the second hole it had burned off and the day was perfect. Don't forget the sunscreen even if it's foggy at the beginning....I found out the hard way.
              Walk it and take pics.

Comment

Late September/Early October is the best time of year for San Fran area. There's always a chance of cooler, foggy and rainy weather, but that time gets the least.

It will be a great time. San Francisco and Monterey are my favourite places.

Comment

Originally posted by AverageJoe View Post
                  Late September/Early October is the best time of year for San Fran area. There's always a chance of cooler, foggy and rainy weather, but that time gets the least.

It will be a great time. San Francisco and Monterey are my favourite places.
                  We visit SF yearly and have had great weather in October up to mid-November.

The marine layer is not as much of an issue then...

Bladerunner

Comment

It's definitely a great experience - I played there a few years back when visiting with my wife in early November and we had an amazing day. Agree with the comments about walking the course - it plays as cart path only all year so you'll be doing a fair bit of walking if you take a cart (I'm not sure what the cart policy is for the other courses there is). I'd even suggest getting a caddie for the round as well as you'll get the benefit of local knowledge which will help out with lines and reading the greens and you may get to hear some great stories (in my case I was a single paired up with a threesome so I chatted a lot with the caddie to not infringe on the others I was paired with). It added a bit to an expensive already round, but figured it was a once in a lifetime experience and would splurge.

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5*
                    Adams Tight Lies 16*
                    Adams Idea Pro Gold 20*, 23*
                    Adams Idea Pro Gold 5 - PW
                    Titleist Vokeys 52*, 56*, 60*
                    Odyssey 9

Garmin Approach G6

Comment

I posted this before, but, the best way to get a deal for Pebble Beach, if you guys are up for it, is to play it as a 2nd round of the day. It's half price if you play it as the 2nd round. So, play Spyglass for example in the morning, and then play Pebble in the afternoon. Definitely recommend Pasatiempo but, you might want to call them to get an update on their grass condition. I know in the last few years they had drought issues.

Comment

Nobody having drought issues in Nor Cal this year.

Comment

Originally posted by MizunoEd View Post
                          I posted this before, but, the best way to get a deal for Pebble Beach, if you guys are up for it, is to play it as a 2nd round of the day. It's half price if you play it as the 2nd round. So, play Spyglass for example in the morning, and then play Pebble in the afternoon. Definitely recommend Pasatiempo but, you might want to call them to get an update on their grass condition. I know in the last few years they had drought issues.
                          Pasatiempo should not be missed. It is an Alister MacKenzie gem, and it is where Juli Inkster played when she was young.

It is in Santa Cruz (about half-way between SF and Pebble), and it was in good shape when I played there last year.

Comment

Originally posted by LongLefty View Post
                            Thanks guys.. so early October is going to be my best bet by the sounds of it and other posts I've read. Is flying into San Francisco/San Jose my best bet for flights? We will be renting a car to do some site seeing while we're there. I'll also add Pasatiempo to the list by popular demand. This is a one time thing so may as well go all out! As for booking does anyone know the best route? We will likely do the 2 night with 2 or 3 round package then stay off site the rest of the week.
                            October is beautiful there. I played PB at Christmas, got on as a single booked 4 days before. You're staying at the lodge so you can book in advance. Take a caddy, you can share one with your dad. Listen to the caddy as well. There know their stuff. Plan for drinks on the patio at The Bench after. It does get cool in the evenings and the mornings. You can get fog delays as well. Flying directly into Monterey can be cheaper than a direct flight to San Fran or San Jose. The drive down from San Francisco isn't bad (about 2 and 1/2 hours) MRY can sometimes get fogged in. So best to connect in San Fran so you have the option of driving from there if you get stuck. Try if you can to get on at the 2 MPCC courses. Dunes just opened their remodel, Shore course was done a few years back. Both are great tracks. Spyglass, Poppy Hills and Spanish Bay are all good choices.

Also, the Gnocchi at The Bench is beyond belief.
                            NSST golf
                            Never the same swing twice!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nosechug View Post
                              October is beautiful there. I played PB at Christmas, got on as a single booked 4 days before. You're staying at the lodge so you can book in advance. Take a caddy, you can share one with your dad. Listen to the caddy as well. There know their stuff. Plan for drinks on the patio at The Bench after. It does get cool in the evenings and the mornings. You can get fog delays as well. Flying directly into Monterey can be cheaper than a direct flight to San Fran or San Jose. The drive down from San Francisco isn't bad (about 2 and 1/2 hours) MRY can sometimes get fogged in. So best to connect in San Fran so you have the option of driving from there if you get stuck. Try if you can to get on at the 2 MPCC courses. Dunes just opened their remodel, Shore course was done a few years back. Both are great tracks. Spyglass, Poppy Hills and Spanish Bay are all good choices.

Also, the Gnocchi at The Bench is beyond belief.
                              Thanks for all the great info! much appreciated.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X