Mike Weir Revitalization.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mike Weir Revitalization.

Originally posted by Johnrw View Post
    I think that 90% of us would agree that there is no chance that he makes the Fed Ex playoffs, and unless he can move up into the 150 category, then what status does he have anywhere? Would he be granted spots on the Canadian (Mackenzie) tour? What else is there other than perhaps sponsors exemptions and past champion status?
    At this point he's becoming Canada's premature Jack Nicklaus.

Is that bad?
    "Confusion" will be my epitaph
    ...Iggy

Comment

More on Weirsy:

This is a strange one. He bogeyed the par-4 first hole, teed off on the par-5 second, and then walked off. With a 2-over 73 on Thursday, the lefty was 3-over through 19 holes and facing a mountain to climb to make the cut. That he didn't cite an injury is telling, but we don't have the information necessary to determine if his actual reasoning is regarding himself or something else in his life. What we do know is that this is his 11th mid-tournament WD in 423 PGA TOUR starts as a professional; it's his third this season. A T21 at the CIMB Classic remains his only payday in 18 starts in 2014-15. He's full exempt via the 2013-14 money list, so at least he's not burning exemptions a younger talent could use. For the time being, Weir is scheduled to play in next week's Barbasol Championship.
      Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Out of the Canadian Open - taking time off for personal reasons

I have decided to take some time off from golf competition for personal reasons. Thanks to my fans for their support.

Comment

I hope everything is ok and he's just taking a break.

XCR Cart | 915 D2 | 716 MB 5-PW | SM6 52.12 F | SM6 56.14 F | SM6 46.08 F | Eye2 Gorge L | Classic Manganese Bronze Anser

Comment

Originally posted by dciccoritti View Post
            I hope everything is ok and he's just taking a break.
            I think that the family excuse is just that, an excuse. Playing extremely poorly all year and entering a week stretch where he has a ton of focus on him and won't likely even make the cut.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwelfgulfer View Post
              I think that the family excuse is just that, an excuse. Playing extremely poorly all year and entering a week stretch where he has a ton of focus on him and won't likely even make the cut.
              I think you read between the lines.
              Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
              Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
              Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

There are reports that he has primary custody of his two children following his divorce. I have 12 and 6 year old daughters full time on my own and it is tough to keep on top of everything. If I had his resources I would be taking as much time off as possible.

Comment

Tiger should follow suit, his showings are even worse.

Comment

To me this is the first step he has taken on the road to recovery. Being with family for an extended time will refresh him and he needs to make sure his kids are doing the right thing, and having their dad around will make that easier. Will I don't think he is making an excuse I think the decision is based on how his personal life has been affected by the game of golf. One thing for certain is that the very best have the mental strength to be great and making this change will hopefully help him in his belief about himself. Being a great parent IMHO is just as important as being a great golfer. I have been critical of his decisions in the past, but I do thing this is the best one he could have made.

Comment

Originally posted by Zebb View Post
                      There are reports that he has primary custody of his two children following his divorce. I have 12 and 6 year old daughters full time on my own and it is tough to keep on top of everything. If I had his resources I would be taking as much time off as possible.
                      ^^ This
                      Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

His daughters are both teenagers, but Weir did get custody of them last year. I suspect his problems on course and off led to this decision, though I haven't spoken to him in some time.
                        Golf blog: canadiangolfer.com/g4g

Comment

Family first, everything else comes second.

Hope Mike sorts things out and comes back and finds some form again.
                          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

There're things in life that take precedence above all else. Good luck to him in his time off with family.

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                              Family first, everything else comes second.
                              On a side note, what does this quote actually mean? People seem to recite it upon severe illness, accident, or family turmoil. Otherwise career comes first for many. This is incredibly true for anyone with fame IMO.

Who knows, maybe Mike put family second and that led to his divorce? Wouldn't surprise me nowadays.

I hope he is sincere in his love and focus on family. Wish him the best.
                              Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Comment

Originally posted by xrox View Post
                                On a side note, what does this quote actually mean? People seem to recite it upon severe illness, accident, or family turmoil. Otherwise career comes first for many. This is incredibly true for anyone with fame IMO.

Who knows, maybe Mike put family second and that led to his divorce? Wouldn't surprise me nowadays.
                                Famous or not, to me it means you place needs of family ahead of anything else in life, and that includes a career.

As for his divorce, no idea, this is the first I've heard of it and I'm a Weir fan
                                "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X