TXG

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TXG

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
    I will add to this now that I have had the chance to visit. I went in to do a fitting this week and my first impression was it had the look of Modern Golf (for obvious reasons) but in a much smaller footprint, but still tons of room for what you’re doing.

My iron warm up shots were alright with a slight pull, the I promptly started smoother hooking the tar out of everything, which made it pretty difficult for Ian to get a baseline. Eventually it got a little better, but still was not putting my best forward. I eventually starting putting a playable swing on things, and we did find a good combo that helped keep my swing timing/tempo a bit more consistent though – ending up moving for 90g iron shafts to 115s, without feeling like swinging a piece of rebar. Ian and Mike were both patient through my initial struggles and we made progress despite the C-game swing I brought with me.

Moving into the driver- it’s the worst club in my bag. When I’m playing well, I hit a big low draw that will run out for ages. Carry 215-225, but roll out would give me enough total length. Two problems: 1) lack of carry can make it problematic to take the line I want even on good days, and 2) I’m horribly inconsistent with it and I end up hitting toe hooks that barely go 200, or blocking it off the map. It can ruin a day pretty quickly, and probably the only reason I’m not back in a single digit factor. I promptly started giving a demonstration of my driver woes, and straight up, it was frustrating embarrassing to have this continue on a day when you want to bring a somewhat decent game to get value from the fitting – but we got there. It was obvious that I was consistently putting the ball of the toe, and swinging rather steep with my driver (59 degree swing plane). So, Ian and Mike did exactly what they’re job is – find a way to help fit a club to my swing to get the contact where it needed to be. Came back with a dialed up M2 with an Alpina Veylix 673S, 3/4" shorter than my current driver.

It was like an infomercial miracle cure, and I ripped the first one down the pipe with another 25 feet of height, carrying 220ish and running out to 245-250. I actually smiled and laughed right after the first shot. We switched into a 13.5 degree Callaway Epic and that was it. The feel, balance etc, just made me go after it. Averages were:

SS: 94, BS: 140, Smash: 1.49, LA: 14.2, RPM: 2368, Carry 229, Total 256. Peaked out at 237/265.

Average deviation on smash was .01, carry 4.8 yards, and total only 3.9 yards. Sooo repeatable with the same swing I was hitting dog-sh*t with 5 minutes before. We toyed around a bit with a couple others but this was by and loud the winner. Hopefully this is useful to us mere mortals here that swing driver under 100 MPH.

Things ran on a bit long due to my poor start. We found a little more weight in the FW helped keep things on track for me, and my existing hybrid was still found to be rock solid, so we didn’t do anything with it.

The facility is nice, the service is good, and most importantly, the results are there. The value in their fitting service is without question. I would definitely recommend the place.

Thank you to Ian and Mike for their time and generosity.
    So, after all that, what did you buy?
    In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
    Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, KuroKage 606 S
    TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
    TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
    PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
    TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
    Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
    TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

Originally posted by rgk5 View Post
      So, after all that, what did you buy?
      Currently trying to hock old driver(s) and other things kicking around to finance said purchase (See BST) Mrs. is on maternity leave also, so I can't have it all at once and will be happy enough when I save enough pennies for 1 part of it. Hoping to land either driver or irons (Callaway Apex CF 16 x Project X LZ 5.5) for season's open, but likely will only be 1 new toy for this season. Economics prevail.

Or feel free to start of GoFundMe page in my honour!
      Driver: Callaway BB Epic 13.5, Veylix Alpina 673S - WILDEYE!
      16.5* 4W: Ping G25, Fujikura Pro Wood 63R
      20* 3H: Callaway Apex, Accra CS1 HB-M4
      4-A: Callaway Apex Combo, Project X LZ 5.5
      Wedges: TM TP 54/60-ATV, DG Spinner Wedge
      Putter: SC Sqaureback No. 1
      Bench: Ping Anser UST VTS TourSPX Hybrid Silver 75R
      RCGA Factor: 11.6 (75 up to....)

Comment

Currently trying to hock old driver(s) and other things kicking around to finance said purchase (See BST) Mrs. is on maternity leave also, so I can't have it all at once and will be happy enough when I save enough pennies for 1 part of it. Hoping to land either driver or irons (Callaway Apex CF 16 x Project X LZ 5.5) for season's open, but likely will only be 1 new toy for this season. Economics prevail.

Or feel free to start of GoFundMe page in my honour!
        Sounds to me like from your initial post, I would focus on the driver. You admit it is the worst club in your bag. Also, being ~$800 less will help with economics, provided the Epic wasn't shafted up with some exotic after market. If it was, don't forget to check the list of free shafts for the Epics on Callaway's website and cross compare with the shaft manufacturer's specs. For instance, if you were fit into an Accra that was mid-launch and low spin, you could always look towards to the Fuji Green or Speeder Evolution II, the Diamana S+ or Kuro Kage, and Matrix Red Tie/X-Con 6 all for free that would probably get you close enough to what you needed for significantly less coin. Provided, economics is your #1 focus.

Comment

Anyone know when the Toronto location is going to open?

Comment

Amazing....see you soon!
            Last edited by Mule56; Mar 23, 2017, 06:02 AM. Reason: Removed deleted quote

Comment

Went for a driver fitting at the new TXG Toronto location today.

The reason I went was because of December 2016 article in My Golf Spy which compared different low spin shafts.

Great experience, great facility and Ian is quite knowledgable. I ended up with a Accra Tour Zx for my M2 which showed a significant difference in distance, spin and dispersion to other shafts tested. Waiting for the first tee off in the spring!

Comment

I had the extreme pleasure of being fitted by Ian himself at the new TXG facility in Toronto. I’ve never been to a facility like this and I was blown away. The options are endless and the Foresight GCquad simulator is unreal. The data that this device picks up is amazing.

Thank you Ian for helping me select an iron and shaft combo that fits me best. I wouldn’t have never been able to piece together this combination without you. I will be back when I get my new tools so you can tweak them for me. Congratulations on the new space and best of luck!
                Last edited by Slickstick78; Mar 19, 2017, 08:41 AM.

Comment

An add on to my earlier driver fitting....

How TrackMan Combine can improve your game The average USGA handicap for male golfers has been between 14.0 and 15.0 since 2005. GHIN reported the average male handicap at 15.3 in 2003 and 14.3 in …

The above link is a great article about what the "average male amateur" is leaving on the table performance wise with the driver.

The combo that Ian/Mike got me into actually has me "optimized" for my swing speed, according to Trackman.

My numbers below.

SS: 94.0, BS: 139.9 Launch Angle: 14.2, Land Angle: 35.4, RPM: 2368, Carry 229, Total 256. (Peaked out at 237/265 with 95.3 MPH)

AMA (Optimized)

SS: 93.4, BS: 140.1, Launch Angle: 14.7, Land Angle: 34.8, RPM: 2300, Carry 226, Total 255.

So, if anyone wonders what a fitting can do for them, these guys can literally help you get all you've got out of your game, numbers to prove it.
                  Driver: Callaway BB Epic 13.5, Veylix Alpina 673S - WILDEYE!
                  16.5* 4W: Ping G25, Fujikura Pro Wood 63R
                  20* 3H: Callaway Apex, Accra CS1 HB-M4
                  4-A: Callaway Apex Combo, Project X LZ 5.5
                  Wedges: TM TP 54/60-ATV, DG Spinner Wedge
                  Putter: SC Sqaureback No. 1
                  Bench: Ping Anser UST VTS TourSPX Hybrid Silver 75R
                  RCGA Factor: 11.6 (75 up to....)

Comment

An add on to my earlier driver fitting....

How TrackMan Combine can improve your game The average USGA handicap for male golfers has been between 14.0 and 15.0 since 2005. GHIN reported the average male handicap at 15.3 in 2003 and 14.3 in …

The above link is a great article about what the "average male amateur" is leaving on the table performance wise with the driver.

The combo that Ian/Mike got me into actually has me "optimized" for my swing speed, according to Trackman.

My numbers below.

SS: 94.0, BS: 139.9 Launch Angle: 14.2, Land Angle: 35.4, RPM: 2368, Carry 229, Total 256. (Peaked out at 237/265 with 95.3 MPH)

AMA (Optimized)

SS: 93.4, BS: 140.1, Launch Angle: 14.7, Land Angle: 34.8, RPM: 2300, Carry 226, Total 255.

So, if anyone wonders what a fitting can do for them, these guys can literally help you get all you've got out of your game, numbers to prove it.
                    Judging by the Trackman charts, the "hundreds" of guys on WRX who swing at 115+ must make up 99% of the 1% listed with that swing speed.

Comment

we are defiantly out there, the majority of golfers are middle aged which is where that stat comes from; with the younger generation if you can't hit it 300 you can't really compete at any level.

Comment

Originally posted by Geeve1008 View Post
                        we are defiantly out there, the majority of golfers are middle aged which is where that stat comes from; with the younger generation if you can't hit it 300 you can't really compete at any level.
                        Defiantly? Which stat? The great average or the 1%. Your assertion of needing 300 is not true. Check out guys like Furyk and the PGA Tour driving stats from #52 Johhny Vegas on down.
                        Last edited by rgk5; Mar 23, 2017, 06:44 AM.

Comment

I am curious does TXG carry Cobra?

I know Modern Golf doesnt (least they didnt) which is one reason I would never goto Modern Golf, as I feel Cobra is one of the best wood brands and make great irons nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post

I know Modern Golf doesnt (least they didnt) which is one reason I would never goto Modern Golf, as I feel Cobra is one of the best wood brands and make great irons nowadays.
                            I just got fitted into forged tec irons. Not sure about the woods but I would think so.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post

When we did my fitting back in April (Burlington location), they didn't carry the cobra heads yet, but was told they'll have it soon. Saw an IG post showing an LTD wood, i'm sure they carry the cobra heads now. Haven't dropped by Toronto HQ but from the IG posts it looks really great.
                              Cobra King F7
                              Cobra Bio Cell+ 12.5
                              Cobra Bio Cell+ 16*
                              Cobra Amp Pro 6-AW + KBS C-Tapers S
                              Cobra Tour Trusty Dual (56/60)
                              Bettinardi Studio 6

Comment

Originally posted by rgk5 View Post
                                Defiantly? Which stat? The great average or the 1%. Your assertion of needing 300 is not true. Check out guys like Furyk and the PGA Tour driving stats from #52 Johhny Vegas on down.

PGA tour driving distance is based on selected holes on a given day, I can bet pretty much all of the PGA tour can bust it over 300 on a trackman with no wind and no elements guys like Rory get 360 on trackman it doesn't mean it hits it 360 on course.

The fact that you tried to use that stat to defend your argument is comical

Point is if you can't generate that kind of speed you'll have a hard time competing in events that are well over 7300; not many guys who hit it 275 can tee it up from the back tees at some of these courses.

I find it entertaining when people who can't hit it deep make fun of the fact they're is a lot of people who can. If you look at the percentage in the world of people who can break 100 it's pretty low, does that mean that the majority of tng is lying and can't break 100 because it's statistically impossible...no your in a community of players who take the game more serious then most your gonna find a lot of people that fall into these small percentages

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
                                X