Collapse

Essential tools and reading for DIY reshafting/regripping irons

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essential tools and reading for DIY reshafting/regripping irons

I'm looking to reshaft my irons with used shafts and maybe a wedge or two and learn a little bit about putting clubs together.

Reading this article (http://www.golfwrx.com/101072/gettin...om-tom-wishon/) got me started, as promised.

I have access to a vise and workbench, what other (big or golf specific) tools are needed? Heat gun/butane torch, shaft vise clamp(s), drill and bit and solvent to clean left over epoxy, (quick dry) epoxy, ferrules... anything else?

With a somewhat clunky vise and or user, are just those black rubber sleeve clamps (http://www.golfworks.ca/rubber-shaft...20Clamp&c2p=cs) sufficient? How long do they last? I saw a Kijiji ad with them selling for a dollar apiece so I assume they're somewhat disposable.

Also, what are some other good resources for someone doing this for the first time?

Re: Essential tools and reading for reshafting/regripping irons

It's a very simple process to just pull and reshaft a set of clubs, anybody can do it . HAve a look at the videos of who is working in the assembly lines at the factories that assemble OEM 's . ( not the fake advertising ones with guys in white lab coats, the real ones )

To do a basic extraction and reshaft , minimal tools are required.

A good vice
    Rubber shaft clamp ( I have the GW ones and they have lasted over 10 years and still fine)
    A propane torch for steel shaft pulls. You can use the torch for graphite pulls and metal heads as well but might be best to use a good heat gun.
    A leather palmed glove for handling the heated heads.
    Drill and Golf works hosel cleaning brushes and cone sanders to clean out hosels.
    A dremmel , sanding machine or just sandpaper to abrade and clean shafts
    Qtips and solvent to clean hosels out
    Good two part golf club epoxy , measuring cups and stir sticks
    Paper towels and solvent/varsol to clean up excess epoxy.
    Ferrules ( only needed for graphite otherwise just cosmetic in steel shafts)
    Acetone to turn down and make ferrules flush
    Chop saw or tube cutter to cut shafts to length and If using other than .355 shafts you will need a tube cutter or chop saw to properly trim tips.
    Can use a fine toothed hack saw instead of chop saw for graphite, just tape the area cutting forst with masking tape

For gripping
    Vice and shaft clamp
    Compressor or...
    A hook knife to cut off old grip
    Two sided grip tape
    Solvent ( varsol) to activate tape
    Tray to catch excess solvent
    Rag to clean up

This is essentially all you need to start and do a basic job

If you get serious and want to do it right then a swingweight scale, frequency meter , laser flo jig etc can be added.

Golfworks has a few good books but tons of videos out there
    Wishon's clubfitting books are considered the bibles ( Prcatical Clubfitting or the more recent Common sense Clubfitting- worth every bit of the $150 or so it costs)

Enjoy
    Last edited by Weirfan; Feb 4, 2017, 08:59 PM.
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Re: Essential tools and reading for DIY reshafting/regripping irons

Another good read from GolfWRX is this article:

http://www.golfwrx.com/399094/buildi...cks-and-tools/

Comment

There is more than one way to get things done. I prefer butane over propane and I use camping fuel for regripping. Some use varsol but if you do use it you better not do it in the house as the wife might kick you out
        For the shaft clamp imho this is the best:
        GolfWorks Canada is a fully stocked retail store specializing in golf club components, custom fittings and golf club repairs. We offer the largest selection of golf grips, shafts, heads and accessories in the industry.

The GolfWorks is the leader in golf club components and accessories. Grips, Shafts, Heads, Custom Clubs, Clubmaking Tools and Supplies, Golf Balls and more!

It is best to use a graphite shaft puller but
        if you don't have one someone will a little experience can pull it in a vise with a crow bar look alike and the clamp below.

Comment

Originally posted by SundayBag View Post
          Another good read from GolfWRX is this article:

http://www.golfwrx.com/399094/buildi...cks-and-tools/
          Very neat shop.

Comment

In a pinch, an old grip can be used in the vice to hold the shaft. Excuse the pun.

Comment

a hundred bucks will get you a lever vise that will safely hold your club
              for re-shafting, grip installation, shaft trimming etc.(170120)

things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

I'd avoid the cheap all rubber shaft clamps. Spend the couple extra $ on the Deluxe one. Mine is going on 12+yrs and still going strong. Heck, it's only $14.

If you do get a bit more serious into this, get a swing weight scale and a club length measuring guide.

I'd look into the chopsaw with an abrasive blade option for both trimming graphite and steel shafts. Just make sure you tape up the cut point on graphite shafts to avoid damaging the shaft fibers during cutting.

Heck, since you're in Hamilton, next time you're in Buffalo, pop by the HarborFreight store and grab a cheap mini chop saw for $35US and if you plan on doing a lot of steel reshafting, a 1x30" belt sander.

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
                  a hundred bucks will get you a lever vise that will safely hold your club
                  for re-shafting, grip installation, shaft trimming etc.(170120)

http://www.golfmechanix.com/Items.asp?Pdts=Promotion
                  Great website for those looking for decent quality tools at excellent prices

Comment

What is "good" 2 part export? Is it different than what you can buy at CanTire or HDepot?

Comment

pick up this vise @ Canadian Tire for $50

I use this solvent. Less harsh than butane or varsol

This economical solvent activates all solvent-activated tapes.

I use the rubber shaft clamp - been using it for 5 years with no issues

GolfWorks Canada is a fully stocked retail store specializing in golf club components, custom fittings and golf club repairs. We offer the largest selection of golf grips, shafts, heads and accessories in the industry.

but if you want to spend a few more $ then

this tape

this knife with the curved blade - wait for it to go on sale, got mine for about $10

a heat gun will assist in getting off the old tape as well.
                      MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Thanks all. Is the advantage of 2 sided grip tape less risk of slipping? I blew on my grips with frog tape a couple years ago and haven't had any issues with twisting or slippage.

Comment

Originally posted by nubbie View Post
                          Thanks all. Is the advantage of 2 sided grip tape less risk of slipping? I blew on my grips with frog tape a couple years ago and haven't had any issues with twisting or slippage.
                          I think you answered your own question. I use air also with no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by nubbie View Post
                            Compressor is the way to go if you have one

Comment

Golfworks also sell water activated grip tape:

Butane I would use for a heat source:

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X