Collapse

Sterling SL Iron Review - Rick Shiels

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sterling SL Iron Review - Rick Shiels

FINALLY... a year after everyone else he reviews them.

Haven't watched it all yet... but thought I would post here so it didn't get lost in all the other SL threads.

Bag: PING Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Floral
    Driver: TM SIM2 MAX @ 10.5*
    Wood: TM SIM2 MAX @ 15*
    Hybrids: TM SIM2 22*
    Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW
    Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60*
    Putter: SGC WB Northwood
    Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Re: Sterling SL Iron Review - Rick Shiels

Thanks for posting this Jeff.

Kind of a weird review. Guy hits the ball really straight and consistently yet finds something to complain about with every club - 7I is five yards shorter than he would like (really, 5 yards??), 5I flies too low, G wedge flies too high (really???), and get off my lawn you kids!

My problem with these reviews, and its obviously not your fault, is that unless they've played several rounds with the clubs I'm not sure how useful they are. If I picked up some clubs, hit them dead straight and within 2 - 3 yards on every shot, the first time I tried them in the sim, I'd being heading to the checkout yelling "start the car." It can likely only improve when you've used them more. Instead they get kind a wishy-washy review.

I know you are looking at the Sterlings and I would take the positives out of this; soft feel, consistent yardages and very accurate. YMMV.

Sadly not made by PING though.

Comment

Originally posted by Smittyman View Post

Kind of a weird review. Guy hits the ball really straight and consistently yet finds something to complain about with every club - 7I is five yards shorter than he would like (really, 5 yards??), 5I flies too low, G wedge flies too high (really???), and get off my lawn you kids!

My problem with these reviews, and its obviously not your fault, is that unless they've played several rounds with the clubs I'm not sure how useful they are. If I picked up some clubs, hit them dead straight and within 2 - 3 yards on every shot, the first time I tried them in the sim, I'd being heading to the checkout yelling "start the car." It can likely only improve when you've used them more. Instead they get kind a wishy-washy review.

I know you are looking at the Sterlings and I would take the positives out of this; soft feel, consistent yardages and very accurate. YMMV.

that's why we need hackers to do reviews

Comment

Originally posted by nearace View Post
        that's why we need hackers to do reviews
        Happy to step up! The Sterling went 8 yards further into the bushes than my gamer and the standard deviation for carry was 18 yards versus 22 with my PINGS.

Comment

I assume he'll get his mid cap buddy to test them in the next few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by jburns View Post
            FINALLY... a year after everyone else he reviews them.

Haven't watched it all yet... but thought I would post here so it didn't get lost in all the other SL threads.

I really don't think these are for you, I don't see enough space to stamp PING on the heads.
            Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
            Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
            Ping G400 7W 20.5* or 3H 19*
            Ping G400 4H - 22*
            Ping G400 5 - UW
            Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
            Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
            Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
            Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

Originally posted by jburns View Post
              I assume he'll get his mid cap buddy to test them in the next few weeks.
              It'd be nice to see Sterling 5 hybrid vs Sterling 5 iron(both have the same loft)

For those of you that play 36 inches 9 iron and wedges 36.5 is not going to make a significant difference in ball flight imho

Comment

rick makes a good point at the end though that because he's in the UK where it's windy, the flight of the irons are important to scoring. he's testing this in a closed environment and is linking the ball flight numbers to actual course experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Kobegolf View Post
                  rick makes a good point at the end though that because he's in the UK where it's windy, the flight of the irons are important to scoring. he's testing this in a closed environment and is linking the ball flight numbers to actual course experience.
                  Agreed. However on a very windy day here and if you have 100-120- yards shot will you go for a punch shot or use your gap or pitching wedge?

Comment

Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post
                    I really don't think these are for you, I don't see enough space to stamp PING on the heads.
                    Maybe Ping iron covers can be custom made. Haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Tintin View Post
                      Agreed. However on a very windy day here and if you have 100-120- yards shot will you go for a punch shot or use your gap or pitching wedge?
                      Yeah, I was wondering about that comment too.

He talked about yardages being different to his regular clubs - I would expect that of many different clubs. What's important is gapping and he didn't test the whole set so that wasn't addressed.

I thought the big selling feature to SL was the consistent setup and swing - so I was surprised when he decided to move the ball forward for his 5i. Defeats the purpose, does it not?

The one thing that I got out of this was that the 5i has a lower flight than he's used to. Since I have trouble getting enough height on long irons that would be a big concern.

I also agree with those who think you need to play a number of rounds with them to get used to the differences before you can make a judgement.
                      "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                      ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Smittyman View Post

I see some of your points but...
                        He did say he lives & plays where it's windy links golf and coming in low to a long iron shot wouldn't work and coming in high with a wedge wouldn't work for him.

I think that Dan the custom man is probably closest to what he wants with his TLT.

I'm interested as I have slower swing speed and I have narrow gaps in long irons and I bend over too much in short irons.
                        I think I might be a good candidate which is why I want rob Potter his little buddy (crashtestbobby) to try them.

He did say what u think. Ugly irons. All the wishon stuff looks generic almost like a Walmart iron. Regardless of performance you do need to like the look. I don't at all. Now the cobra forged version? Now that's sexy.
                        PING CAMO BAG...
                        WEAPONS...
                        SRIXON ZX5 10.5
                        3W TM M2
                        HYB 19 deg Callaway Epic
                        5-aw Callaway Epic Forged

SW TM Milled Grind 56
                        LW TM MILLED GRIND 60

PUTTER Rotation TM Spider Tour, Scotty np2 ,
                        3 ball Fang, RIFE TOUR

Comment

I don't think they look that bad... I'd remove some of the red/black paintfill and mess around a little but overall they look nice to my eye. I have a 23* 5 iron now and I can't get it in the air unless it's off a tee and I hit it perfect. I'll definitely be going with the 5 hybrid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
                            The one thing that I got out of this was that the 5i has a lower flight than he's used to. Since I have trouble getting enough height on long irons that would be a big concern.
                            If you read the comments below the video(take some-leave some) some point out that he hits his 7 iron really low to begin with. If that's the case then why would he expect to see as 5 iron soar like a hawk?

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhark View Post
                              (crashtestbobby) to try them.

He did say what u think. Ugly irons. All the wishon stuff looks generic almost like a Walmart iron. Regardless of performance you do need to like the look. I don't at all. Now the cobra forged version? Now that's sexy.
                              Beauty in the eyes of the beholder. If you ask me I will take performance over looks any day( Golfwise needless to say) You might be disappointed in the forged 4 iron. Tough club to game imho unless your cap is below 5

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X