Collapse

Barrie area trip!!

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barrie area trip!!

Me and a bud are going up to the Barrie area this year to do a three day golf trip. What courses are a good deal that way??

Re: Barrie area trip!!
    • Harbour View
    • Heritage Hills
    • Horseshoe Valley

...Tangle Creek is better than all 3, but it's pricier too!
    Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Out of 10 what would rate these courses??

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post
      • Harbour View
      • Heritage Hills
      • Horseshoe Valley

...Tangle Creek is better than all 3, but it's pricier too!

Comment

It's all relative to what your expectations are

• Harbour View 6/10
        • Heritage Hills 7/10
        • Horseshoe Valley 7/10

...Tangle Creek 8/10 is better than all 3, but it's pricier too!
        Among my favourite courses to play in Southern Ontario would include: Otter Creek, Glen Cedars, Lakeview, Chedoke Beddoe, Mystic, Shelter Valley Pines, Humber Valley and Lakeridge
        ....if money was no object, I would play a lot of Higher End tracks more often. Of the ones listed above, I have played Harbour View at least 20 times in the last 3 years, the other 3 listed, maybe 10 times in the last 10 years!

Comment

It's all relative to what your expectations are

Among my favourite courses to play in Southern Ontario would include: Otter Creek, Glen Cedars, Lakeview, Chedoke Beddoe, Mystic, Shelter Valley Pines, Humber Valley and Lakeridge
          ....if money was no object, I would play a lot of Higher End tracks more often. Of the ones listed above, I have played Harbour View at least 20 times in the last 3 years, the other 3 listed, maybe 10 times in the last 10 years!
          Thanks Big Shooter, money is and isn't a issue. Seen heritage hills on underpar
          But don't know how they say it's 166 for two to play there but their website says it's only 47 per person with cart weekdays.

Comment

If you want a rough one, try Oak Bay in Severn. Bring lot of balls.

Drive about a hour away to CWOOD area, you have Cranberry, Batteauex Creek and Oslerbrook.

Comment

Originally posted by ripley502 View Post
              If you want a rough one, try Oak Bay in Severn. Bring lot of balls.

Drive about a hour away to CWOOD area, you have Cranberry, Batteauex Creek and Oslerbrook.
              I 2nd this line up!
              Better courses. Worth the money.

Comment

Just south west of town are the 2 at Bond Head; there is Tangle Creek (nice course but it is very slow); as others have said go north west to Collingwood for several very nice courses.

Comment

....another 35 mins away from CWood, Lora Bay in Thornbury. ..a must play if you are in the area.

Comment

you might want to try Settlers Ghost . Nice layout at a good price.

Comment

All within 30mins from Barrie
                      Settlers
                      Horseshoe
                      Hawk Ridge (has two 18s)
                      Bear Creek
                      Tangle Creek

Comment

I should pointed out I got the underpar for settlers ghost so that's why we are going that way

Comment

Midland Golf and Country Club - in my opinion the best course in the area, it ought to be a private course with how good the layout is, and the trees are huge and mature and a fair challenge.
                          Tangle Creek - modern style course, sort of links going into parkland. Some quirky holes but one to check out, I personally love it but traditionalists usually don't.
                          Borden - very nice old school course with some of the quickest public greens in the area. Can be found for cheap too on golfnow or if you are military you get a discount.

Personally I wouldn't bother checking out the courses super central to Barrie...in my first year of golfing I was a golfnow only person and have played all the courses a lot of times and my thoughts really are:

Settlers Ghost - way too tight, 10 yards offline and your on another hole, close calls for getting hit with balls too.
                          Heritage Hills - front 9 is interesting, some stupidly placed trees in the middle of fairways, back 9 gets very repetitive with the links style. Depending on the weather greens can get very bumpy and slow.
                          Simoro Links - cheapo only course, enjoyable track and decent greens but really its just for a cheap round, you can find it on golfnow for $10-15 often.
                          Springwater Golf Course - a nice track buts conditions are rubbish, believe me...I was a member for one season as it is super close to me, great place if you want to get smashed though as it is usually empty.
                          Shanty Bay - only go for price, often filled with casual golfers so long rounds. Layouts don't make sense, no hazards, hardly any sand. Greens have sprinkler heads on them.

Honorable mentions you should consider:

Innisbrook - shorter track but in great shape and a lot of fun par 4's and 3's. I think only one par 5.
                          Bear Creek - 27 holes, plain jane but very good conditions and each 9 is quite different from the other, also great for short hitters.
                          Batteaux Creek - little bit of a drive towards collingwood, quite challenging modern style course, lots of undulations etc.
                          Allendale - 9 hole Stanley Thompson, just a very very enjoyable track.

But if you only had to play one, I would say Midland Golf and Country Club.
                          "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott

Comment

Horseshoe Highlands
                            Tangle Creek
                            Heritage Hills

If you're playing on a weekend, Tangle Creek is super slow!

If you know any members, I'd recommend Vespra Hills or the Country Club.
                            LC

Comment

Originally posted by lchammer View Post
                              Horseshoe Highlands
                              Closed permanently now I believe?

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard