Collapse

Cape Breton Trip Interest

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cape Breton Trip Interest

I have been discussing doing a large trip with my Rotary friends next September to Cape Breton to play Cabot and Highlands. I am trying to gauge interest in doing a large trip including flight, land transportation, golf and accommodation. Cabot Cliffs will be open mid/late summer next year. For those of us who have played Cabot Links and Cape Breton Highlands, it is an unbeatable trip. The opening of the Cliffs will put it over the top. September is wonderful time of year on Cape Breton.

We are looking at a core trip in mid September 14-20. Add-ons can be personal vacation extra days, non golfing spouses, extra rounds, fly fishing on the Margaree, cycling, hiking etc. I have priced out the following at today's dollars: flight, land transportation, four rounds of golf, four nights(Celtic and Cabot), food and entertainment for @ $1,800 give or take depending upon double or single occupancy. Depending on flight arrivals/departures, an additional round at Bell Bay may be inserted.

It is not your quick hit Myrtle Beach Trip but, is an amazing trip. At this point, I am just looking for a general idea of interest from TGNers. If I get enough, I will go onto step two.

thanks
    Last edited by bobby Jones; Sep 8, 2014, 08:37 AM.

Re: Cape Breton Trip Interest

No interest??

Comment

great idea...if i wasn't doing a similar trip with my wife and in-laws i would be all over this.

good luck with herding the cats
      What's in the Sunmountain 4.5?

10.5 M2 with Speeder 77 Stiff 3 wood shaft
      TM Rescue 17*
      TM M2 4-AW
      TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60
      Odyssey 2 Ball with Superstroke Fatso

Comment

That would be awesome. The price is too much for me though. Have a good trip.

Comment

No joke, it is not a bad price. Anyone who hasn't been should jump on this!

Comment

Originally posted by kich View Post
            That would be awesome. The price is too much for me though. Have a good trip.
            Same with me ....but you never know
            Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

This trip really Sounds great .

Unfortunately it's the week after my annual trip to Arizona so not a good time.
              "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

It's definitely not a cheap buddies trip akin to a few days in Myrtle or Michigan. It's more akin to a Pebble pilgrimage. It is pretty special. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of decent discount accommodation for large groups out there at this time and Cabot isn't discounting prices in any way.

I have priced it out ten ways backwards for an all inclusive type of trip and you can't do any better. Even with a smaller group, when you add it all up you are not much cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by bobby Jones View Post
                  ... At this point, I am just looking for a general idea of interest from TGNers. If I get enough, I will go onto step two.
                  Very much intrigued by this idea. While it is difficult to plan with a firm commitment a year in advance, I for one would be interested in more details.

This would be of particular interest if the stay could be extended on a reasonable basis.

The bottom line number was an eye-opener at first, but upon reflection seems justifiable considering that you seem to have included nearly everything including food. Are we going to be stuck with hard tack for every meal?

Looking forward to more info as it becomes available.

_______
                  NQRfPT

Comment

trip now worth $18,000 ... :

Matt Ginella recently revisited Cabot Cliffs in Nova Scotia, Canada, the Coore and Crenshaw course slated to open in 2015. He says it's bound to be mentioned in any discussion of the world's best golf courses.

Comment

I know the price scares a few but, a basic breakdown (taxes in) works out @ to this:

Flights (Halifax or Sydney) $575

Cabot golf and accommodation $939

Highlands golf and accommodation $185

Ground transportation $100

4 Dinners $150

Total $1,900

Cabot does not give group discounts between Jun-Sept. Can possibly get flight discounts.

This is based on a four day excursion. Flight schedules dictate the amount of play but, based on current schedules, the flights to Sydney (direct or transfer) amount to a wasted travel day on Cape Breton. I envision a flight to Halifax followed by play on the day of arrival at something like Glen Arbour near the airport (host of Cnd ladies Open) or perhaps Bell Bay at Baddeck. There is probably not enough time to get a round in at either Cabot or Highlands on arrival day unfortunately.

Following the arrival round would be a journey up to Ingonish for a night at Keltic Lodge.

The next morning would be one morning round at Highlands followed by lunch and an trip down the Cabot trail to Cabot Links.

The next morning would be a round at Cliffs followed the next day at Links and the final day Cliffs or Links.

Second rounds at Cabot are discounted for those who like to add on.

Dinner/evenings would be divided between Cabot/ Glenora distillery and the Red Shoe.

If we could get enough people, a bus could be chartered to look after ground transport. If it ends up being just a few then the standard van/auto options will be used. Having a charter takes care of the driving worries but, removes flexibility.

Anyone would be able to add on at the beginning or end to do their own thing. If a bus is chartered then those adding on would would have to meet up or keep their own transit. If it ends up being a smaller group then to each his / her own.

Comment

Just returned from a week vacay in Cape Breton with emphasis on Salmon fishing the Margaree and golfing Cabot Links and Le Portage. All I can say is EPIC EPIC EPIC place. My last round at Cabot was Wed and the lady on the par 3 14th told me former NY Mayor Rudi Guliani and about 100 guests were coming in on private jets for a charity golf event on the Friday. Unfortunately for them by Friday it was blowing 50km/hr and gusting 80km/hr, raining, hail, and you couldn't be outside. When I drove by the next day (Sat) the course was RAMMED and a sunny 18 degrees. Was 24 degrees by Sunday. I called a month ago and secured the first twilight times (130pm) for several days for $105 plus tax. We rented a 3500 square foot 5 bedroom house on the ocean for $1500 for the week. Flights were $400 into Halifax. The Jeep we rented was $360 for the week (gas was $150).

Comment

Cape Breton Trip Interest

Cabot lists the caddy fees as $60 for a Class A and $45 for Class B.
                          The price seems fair.

Have any of you fellows taken a caddy for your round(s)?
                          Swing slow, walk fast

Comment

Only planned on doing 1 round with Caddies, ended up using them for 3 out of 5 rounds. A must for the first round.

Price doesn't include tip, which given how nice they are I would feel terrible for not giving one.

Comment

We played four rounds and used a caddie for one round. I would definitely recommend using a caddie for the first round, for reading the greens and blind shots. The weather for the other rounds were horrendous, wasn't worth taking a caddie, the only thing that made golf possible was my rain gloves!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X