No announcement yet.
Collapse

Ball Alignment Marker - Do you use it?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball Alignment Marker - Do you use it?

Who puts alignment marks on the golf ball to help them align putts better? If you do, what markings do you use? Examples of markings are

- one straight line down the equator of the ball
    - straight line down the equator with a 2nd perpendicular line to form a cross-hair or "+" marking
    - two straight lines parallel to one another

Any other markings that I've missed and people use?

Re: Ball Alignment Marker - Do you use it?

One line as installed by the manufacturer.
    Using it is a must on tees and greens.
    Aim at nothing and you will hit it every time.

Comment

I use the line the mfg puts on the ball. I line it up to the path I want to aim at and then square my body to that line.

I don't use it on the tee or anywhere else.
      MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

I don't use a line/marker on the ball for anything - putting or tee box...prefer seeing a plain ball with nothing on top and use the topline of my putter blade perpindicular to my target line. Being a feel player/putter that is what works best for me as i find using lines is too mechanical...

Comment

Normally, one straight line around the whole equator of the ball, in line with the manufacturer's alignment line (but not covering it) - I use the safety ring from a Clamato or similar bottle.

More recently, bought a ball line marker that marks the ball like (+)

The two curves are set at a point on the ball so that you can only barely see both curved lines if your eyes are directly above the ball, the equator and perpendicular line are self-explanatory.

Experimenting with the latter to see if I want my eyes on top of the ball or just inside. On top seems to be working pretty well so far. It's an improvement, as I only recently discovered my eyes were ever so slightly outside the ball before!!

Comment

Interesting thoughts.

I just realized that I put this in the wrong sub forum. Maybe it should go under the Golf Instruction sub forum where it's more relevant. Can the mods help me move this thread? Sorry for the error.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead View Post
              I don't use a line/marker on the ball for anything - putting or tee box...prefer seeing a plain ball with nothing on top and use the topline of my putter blade perpindicular to my target line. Being a feel player/putter that is what works best for me as i find using lines is too mechanical...
              Same here.

I tried using a line on the ball, but was never happy that I could place the ball exactly the way I wanted.

I've gone back to visualizing the path, and starting the ball on a line I can see for the first foot or two while trying to hit it true with the right speed.

I'm awfully analytical in most things, but my golf game (such as it is) is feel.
              "Confusion" will be my epitaph
              ...Iggy

Comment

I do not use a line marker. It becomes the focus point when I want to focus on my stroke and speed. I like to keep the white/yellow part of the ball free of any markings and then let feel take over when I am ready to put.

Comment

I moved away from trying to align my ball to just focusing on aligning the shot (i.e. a mark in the ground about 1-3 feet in front of the ball depending on the shot at hand - putt 1-2 feet, tee shots around 2-3 feet). Found it took away any thoughts of worrying about the ball being aligned as well as the shot. Now aligning the shot is the only focus. Also don't care about seeing all white or the markings, however the ball sits up I just hit it.

Comment

sometimes,when my putting gets bad

Comment

(used a Go- Pro before)I switched to a simple black dot on top(COG a la Maltby) inside a red circle.
                      things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Use a 3/4" black line for alignment with two dots above the line and two fangs below for identification

Comment

I'm the opposite - I just want to see pure white when I look down at the ball.

Comment

I draw a line around the ball and use to line my putt on the line and then to line my putter to that line. Once the setup is done I lok at the back heel of my putter and concentrate on the stroke. The reason for the complete line is on longer putts I want to look up and see the ball. If I hit it well then I see a straight line on the ball. If it is woggling, I know I came across the ball and hit it poorly

Comment

I use a line marker as well but only on the greens. It helps, but only if I hit the putt properly...

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X