Collapse

How to stop hitting off the heel

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to stop hitting off the heel

Went to GT yesterday to try some of the new drivers. The tape on the heads all showed heel strikes with the drivers. What causes heel strikes? Is it an over the top swing? Standing too close?

Any help is appreciated. Any suggestions that might help me hit the ball more squarely on the face are greatly appreciated.

Doucer

Re: How to stop hitting off the heel

Try to hit at the center instead.

Comment

There are many possible causes for your issue. Here's a good place to start.

Hitting the ball off the heel can often be caused by allowing your focus to be "trying to hit the ball". When your focus is on hitting the ball instead of swinging to a target, extension will occur early and cause those heel hits.

Have a look at this video to get an idea of getting more through the ball.

Complete Golf lessons; no holds barred! VERY insightful lessons and tips from Shawn Clement, PGA TOUR COACH AND GOLF CHANNEL ACADEMY world-renowned CLASS A PGA certified and specialized in golf instruction! A complete golf learning channel including instruction, equipment reviews, on-course golf vlogs, and more! Shawn is unmatched in his use of anatomy, neurology, physics, and sports analogies to help golfers of all levels improve their golf swings! To understand more of what the Wisdom In Golf mindset is all about, I highly encourage you to check out https://wisdomingolf.com/ FOR NEXT LEVEL 1-1 COACHING, please go sign up onto our premium website where you will obtain phenomenal golf lessons you have never experienced before, you don't want to miss out!: https://wisdomingolfpremium.com/ See our new French Channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1r44JNpxeOBngDjxiCHtg
      Matt Blois
      Associate Professional
      Richmond Hill Golf Club
      (905) 889-4653 Ext. 417
      www.richmondhillgolf.com
      facebook.com/richmondhillgolfclub
      mblois@richmondhillgolf.com

Comment

Most of the time its the ball position, you are probably standing too close. If you watch how the pros line up to the ball, they position the ball outside the centre marker of their driver (alignment dot on head). In other words, they line up with the ball closer to the toe than too the heel. When you swing, the head of your club will always go wider than how you lined up. Give it a try, if this is the problem it's a quick fix.

Search a few PGA clips on youtube. Watch a few where the camera is behind the pro, and hes driving into a straight fairway.
        Mizuno MP 57
        Titleist Vokey 54* 60*
        Odyssey Tour #1
        Pro V1/Burner TP

Comment

Originally posted by bunkertobunker View Post
          Most of the time its the ball position, you are probably standing too close. If you watch how the pros line up to the ball, they position the ball outside the centre marker of their driver (alignment dot on head). In other words, they line up with the ball closer to the toe than too the heel. When you swing, the head of your club will always go wider than how you lined up. Give it a try, if this is the problem it's a quick fix.

Search a few PGA clips on youtube. Watch a few where the camera is behind the pro, and hes driving into a straight fairway.
          Actually Butch Harmon addresses this way placing the ball more towards the toe. Phil Mickelson is being taught by Butch so maybe Phil does this too - I am not sure.

But I have a couple Butch Harmon DVDs and he always sets up this way.
          DRIVER : Callaway FT-iQ Driver 10*
          FAIRWAY : Ping i15 3W 15.5*
          HYBRID : Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood Hybrid 20*
          IRONS : Tom Wishon MC560 (4-AW), KBS Steel Shaft, Winn Tour Velvet Grip
          WEDGES : Tom Wishon PCF Micro Chrome Wedges (56, 60)
          PUTTER : Scotty Cameron California Monterey 33"

Comment

One problem that causes "heel" contact with the driver is coming too far from the inside on the downswing.
            U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

Centrifugal force...your arms extend fully as you swing moving the club out a bit more that your relaxed arm position at address. George Knudson recommended setting up with the ball off the toe of the club for this reason.

Could also be your weight moving out towards your toes or flipping your wrists through impact as well.
              Geek No Brainer 7.5 VS Proto 70X
              Adams Super Proto *16
              Adams Super Proto *19
              Srixon Z745/545 X100 5-PW
              Callaway Jaws 50* 54* 64*
              Flannigan designed by Flannigan putter
              Wilson FG Tour

Comment

I had the exact same issue (forum search turns up my post, and my resultant cut down of the driver to 44")
                In the end, the quickest solution was to actually line up with the ball at the toe. Takes some conscious effort to do that since it looks odd, but the extra distance I get from the center strike reinforces the setup.
                I can concur with the AP - my case was coming from inside too much and the ball position was a little too far back of front, and close for my inside out path.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickspin View Post
                  Centrifugal force...your arms extend fully as you swing moving the club out a bit more that your relaxed arm position at address. George Knudson recommended setting up with the ball off the toe of the club for this reason.

Could also be your weight moving out towards your toes or flipping your wrists through impact as well.

It's ironic that George did this because he was one of the best to fight the outward forces of CF and pulled inward. one of the reasons he was one of the best ball strikers ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Doucer View Post
                    Went to GT yesterday to try some of the new drivers. The tape on the heads all showed heel strikes with the drivers. What causes heel strikes? Is it an over the top swing? Standing too close?

Any help is appreciated. Any suggestions that might help me hit the ball more squarely on the face are greatly appreciated.

Doucer

If you are unable to maintain your initial incline to the ball, your path will come too far from the inside and hit the heel. Is your head moving up and away through impact? Video will tell you.

Comment

I'm not a pro instructor, but I wonder if it is a case of poor balance and that your weight is a little too much on your toes.

Just a suggestion.
                      Sometimes starting at the end, is the key to finding the beginning.

Comment

My solution turned out to be a tendency to leave the clubface open through impact - being too tight and not rotating the forearms properly. My teacher simply got me to work on my release and problem solved. I use my left hand to control the angle of descent on the ball (and shaft angle at impact) and my right hand to control the face angle/rotation. Get the feeling before I hit course and it seems automatic thereafter.
                        “No one has as much luck around the greens as one who practices a lot.”
                        Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                        X