Collapse

USGA Drive, Chip and Putt Contest

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USGA Drive, Chip and Putt Contest

That was the most riveting four hours of TV this morning that I've ever watched. Those kids were amazing and so very polite when interviewed. And what about it being hosted by Augusta! I've not been a very big fan of the Lords of Augusta but they scored big this time. This event will go a long way to generating increased interest in golf amongst the younger generation.
    If St. Andrews is the home of golf, Askernish is it's soul......!

Re: USGA Drive, Chip and Putt Contest

I watched a bit of the replay on Golf Channel, but found it hard to follow, as they skipped around between age brackets, events & interviews
    Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

It was pretty fun to watch but man I wish the kids would smile more. They seem so uptight........

Comment

Originally posted by sunshiNee View Post
        It was pretty fun to watch but man I wish the kids would smile more. They seem so uptight........
        It was nice to see the kids at Augusta but I fear they're the next generation of 5 hour golfers the way some of them were grinding over their putts.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post
          I watched a bit of the replay on Golf Channel, but found it hard to follow, as they skipped around between age brackets, events & interviews
          Couldn't get into it either, Turned it iff after about 10 minutes
          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by sunshiNee View Post
            Originally posted by bogey5 View Post
            It was nice to see the kids at Augusta but I fear they're the next generation of 5 hour golfers the way some of them were grinding over their putts.
            Can only thank the parents for that.

Great idea and creates a huge goal for kids now, but I think more so for the parents. Can't think to many of them have any clue other then the parents telling them it's a big deal.

Apparently only 15k kids tried out last year, gonna be like 50k next year.

Comment

Watched for about 20 minutes then turned it off. Here're my observations:

- Peter Jacobsen is annoying
              - It is the same as other DCP before other than the location being in ANGC
              - They might want to drop the 14-15 bracket
              - Looking at the faces of the parents, I kept having Sméagol from LOTR's line going through my head 'My precious'

Comment

I get they are trying to find new ways to grow the game which is great but I dont think this is even close to the answer. parents who already love golf are now pushing their kids. I didnt hear one non or even the occasional golf watcher be like "Ooo hey lets watch the kids chip putt drive contest".
                I do agree with Bogey5 though... the few minutes I watched, I saw kids take 5 plus practice swings and then final hit the ball. To me this is a regression in the game. Its getting slower and slower and its starting to make people double think about going out when they know their round is going to be 5 plus hours.
                Driver - Taylormade SIM MAX 9.0 Diamana S
                3W - Taylormade M4
                5 wood - Callaway X Hot
                4 Hybrid - Taylormade R15
                Irons - Taylormade 2017 P790 5-PW
                Wedge - 52 Raw Jaws/56 MD 2 tour grind
                Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

Originally posted by hammy1983 View Post
                  I didnt hear one non or even the occasional golf watcher be like "Ooo hey lets watch the kids chip putt drive contest".
                  You also knew they were going to 'Jim Nance' the chit out of it. That would keep anyone away. At least they didn't ask the kids what they were feeling when a bloody tree got taken out...

Comment

The competition is a wonderful idea and I'm sure a thrill for the kids and their families to get to go to Augusta.

Didn't need to be broadcast except, as someone else noted, to appease the Lords of Augusta. They talked about this so much in the lead up I almost forgot there a pro tournament this weekend.

Watched for a couple of minutes; turned it off when they talked about a 14YO kid's home course. When I was 14 my 'home course' was wherever I could get to on the bus.

Comment

I think the intentions all around were great, but I think they missed the mark and I don't see how it is going to grow the game.

In addition to the drive/chip/put championship, they should have selected a group of kids through lottery from all the entrants and have them play Augusta's par 3 course and have their family or even a past/present tour pro caddy for them. This way they can include the kids who just play the game for the pure fun of it.

They also could of had some tour presence to greet the kids and do a clinic etc. rather than just the random spotlights/additions of the tour pros that happened to be there practising for the Masters.

Comment

Originally posted by brmack View Post
                        I think the intentions all around were great, but I think they missed the mark and I don't see how it is going to grow the game.

In addition to the drive/chip/put championship, they should have selected a group of kids through lottery from all the entrants and have them play Augusta's par 3 course and have their family or even a past/present tour pro caddy for them. This way they can include the kids who just play the game for the pure fun of it.

They also could of had some tour presence to greet the kids and do a clinic etc. rather than just the random spotlights/additions of the tour pros that happened to be there practising for the Masters.
                        No chance any of them unless they win won something bigger are going to set foot on the grounds to play any part of it.

Can't force any of the Pro's to do anything, its an invite only event. That being said, their main focus if your playing in the masters, should be the Masters.

Having the kids on grounds with their parents is a great start. Maybe give the winners some Practice round tix as well.

Comment

Originally posted by hackpro View Post
                          No chance any of them unless they win won something bigger are going to set foot on the grounds to play any part of it.

Can't force any of the Pro's to do anything, its an invite only event. That being said, their main focus if your playing in the masters, should be the Masters.

Having the kids on grounds with their parents is a great start. Maybe give the winners some Practice round tix as well.
                          i think I heard that every kid got 3 practice round tix. good effort for first year event.

Pros probably didn't even know about it til they showed up at the course or saw it on tv.

As for growing the game? don't know but probably can't hurt.

if as I believe there is too much emphasis on sticking to your process vs having fun making shots in golf instruction, who's fault is that? Parents? students? instructors? colleges? Pga tortoise tour?

And is it any different than coaching/instruction in other sports?

Comment

Originally posted by brmack View Post

I gotta agree with you..I think
                            growing the game will happen with lowering the cost of playing this game..gr.
                            fees,equipment,lessons are just too high..most of these kids at Augusta were
                            from wealthy or well off families(not their fault)..I also think a round on the
                            par 3 course would have been nice..

Comment

My Grandson which is enamored with Golf anyway, was riveted by this
                              (He is 4)

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X