X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do Any TGNers play SL Irons ???

Originally posted by Smittyman View Post
    +1
    I think the Cobra SL's will fail and the fact that they are using the 'off the rack' model will be one of the reasons.
    I have nothing to do with Cobra Company, so this is not a promotion, or anything, but in the MOI thread, it was mentioned that Cobra offers a pretty wide range of options to customize their irons, IIANM which usually i am, lol
    BUT, the question on SL adoption, or failure is still a wide open question, and the up-to-date results and reviews are very "mixed", to say the least.

Comment

I can see SL catching on with the following demographics:

1) Beginners - learning SL as a beginner likely would make the game much easier. However how many new players are willing to drop that much coin on a new set of irons. The F6 One Length needs to be a touch cheaper IMO

2) Elderly and or those with health problems - I've played with some phenomenal elderly golfers however they all hated using their wedges and short irons because they could barely get into the address position. But they sure were wizards with the long sticks. Not having to bend over as much could be a huge selling point for some elderly golfers.

I personally am only 30yrs old but have not the best back due to previous sports and work injuries. However I for one would never came SL given the sheer fact I tried TLT

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
        ...elderly golfers however they all hated using their wedges and short irons because they could barely get into the address position...
        U takin to me
        EXACTLY and another great post, Jasonp !
        But, and IMHO, if any extension to lengthen the shafts also results in heavier clubs to swing, it's a no-go for old people.
        So it looks like a "mission impossible" type of thing, no ?
        Cheers !

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
          U takin to me
          But, and IMHO, if any extension to lengthen the shafts also results in heavier clubs to swing, it's a no-go for old people.
          Cheers !
          The Malby KE4 fit the bill. They come standard with 2 x4 grams weight that can be removed. Top that with a lighter graphite shaft and you have a winner. Or you could just buy a SL component wedge head(they are lighter than your standard heads( 274g vs 289g)

Kali Xronia very old

Comment

U takin to me
            Cheers !
            Yah but SL head designs are created to account for this. So all clubs in a real SL set like the Cobras or Wishon Pinhawk etc will be the exact same SW and feel.

In traditional irons the iron heads get heavier as you progress to shorter clubs.

In SL all iron heads are the same weight

If you just extended a regular wedge it would "feel" heavier but there are ways to adjust for that. This is a drawback persay to a TLT retro build but easily fixable. (Go lighter shafts)

Comment

I posted over in the MOI thread I think but James Pickard (Youtube PGA instructor) and Peter Finch (Youtube PGA instructor) have both made the move to single length for 2017. Neither are elderly or beginners... just people looking for the most consistent ball striking they can find.
              Bag: PING Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Floral
              Driver: TM SIM2 MAX @ 10.5*
              Wood: TM SIM2 MAX @ 15*
              Hybrids: TM SIM2 22*
              Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW
              Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60*
              Putter: SGC WB Northwood
              Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Comment

Originally posted by jburns View Post
                I posted over in the MOI thread I think but James Pickard (Youtube PGA instructor) and Peter Finch (Youtube PGA instructor) have both made the move to single length for 2017. Neither are elderly or beginners... just people looking for the most consistent ball striking they can find.
                Peter has an hour long recent vid on his practice session, and yes, he's using Cobra SL irons (for now, as he put it), but his wedges are Callaway, but don't know what length ?

Comment

Originally posted by Tintin View Post
                  The Malby KE4 fit the bill.
                  Hey Tintin Thanks so much for this bit, appreciated !
                  But, based on my own experimentation with a light driver head, while it's easy to swing, MOI of the head is lower, and of-center hits, even by a tiny bit are really punished. So changing the club head weight can be a tricky business, no ?

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
                  Yah but SL head designs are created to account for this. So all clubs in a real SL set like the Cobras or Wishon Pinhawk etc will be the exact same SW and feel.
                  Hey Jasonp thanks for this clarification. But just to clarify my post also, i was really referring (heavier wedges when extended) to non-SL technologies.

Comment

But, based on my own experimentation with a light driver head, while it's easy to swing, MOI of the head is lower, and of-center hits, even by a tiny bit are really punished. So changing the club head weight can be a tricky business, no ?
                    Light driver head maybe. In your experiment it could have also been the total MOI of the club that was the problem. However in most standard iron heads the swingweight of the wedges is usually higher than the rest of the set. You hardly ever hear people complain about their 8 or 9 iron.

Take a look at the weight of the 8 and 9 iron. I don't think it'd be tricky business in all honesty.

Comment

Ya I have built many sets with the KE4 - some sets with less than 1" total range of length (so close to SL) and other sets to my traditional TLT (near 3" total range of length). It's biggest advantage is you can simply build with no screw weights in the short irons - keeping the heads light - allowing added length, and you can keep the long irons from getting too long by using the 14g weights, bringing the head weight up - allowing shorter long irons to be built.

All KE4's have high playability so can work well for the less skilled as well as seasoned players. This design makes it very easy to control 'off standard lengths' as you also have the ability to add more weight in the form of tip weights if required.
                      Regards
                      Dan

True Length Technology TM
                      Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
                      True Frequency Technology TM
                      - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
                      - Master
                      Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
                      - Advanced / Professional
                      Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
                      - Class 'A'

Comment

I have nothing to do with Cobra Company, so this is not a promotion, or anything, but in the MOI thread, it was mentioned that Cobra offers a pretty wide range of options to customize their irons, IIANM which usually i am, lol
                        BUT, the question on SL adoption, or failure is still a wide open question, and the up-to-date results and reviews are very "mixed", to say the least.
                        Hey Serge, hope you had a great Christmas and New Year.

Thanks for pointing this out as I wasn't aware that Cobra was offering these options. Originally, I think, it was just a standard LLL offering. Checking their website, however, the first option for ordering is 'Stock Set". Even when you choose 'Custom Set', changing lie doesn't appear on the list, you have to go to 'More Custom Options' to find it. So while the options are available, Cobra isn't exactly promoting them, at least not on the website, can't say what their dealers are doing.

I guess my point is that the notion of a stock set of SL is doomed to fail. You are tall and lean, I'm short and stocky (no pun intended) so we certainly wouldn't want to use the same length and lie and neither of us would likely fit the 'stock' set. In a set of PING black dots, for example, you might find a couple of clubs that you hit OK and I might as well but they won't likely be the same clubs. In a SL set if one club is wrong then, in theory, they are all wrong so correct fitting is even more important. But I can't see Cobra really pushing the customization angle, like all of the big OEM's they are not in the custom build business. My guess is that these clubs quietly disappear from their product line in a year or two. But I'm usually wrong.

As to the success or failure of SL as a whole, not just Cobra's offering, I suspect it will remain a niche market where custom builds using Wishon and other heads will be more popular than offerings from large OEM's. It is not really clear to me what the target market for SL is but it surely isn't very big.

All the best for 2017!

Comment

Originally posted by Smittyman View Post
                          H. So while the options are available, Cobra isn't exactly promoting them, at least not on the website, can't say what their dealers are doing.

!
                          No mention of swingweight if you go shorter or longer. Cobras don't have a swingweight port like Ping. Wondering if this will be looked after in the future.

Comment

No mention of swingweight if you go shorter or longer. Cobras don't have a swingweight port like Ping. Wondering if this will be looked after in the future.
                            That's one of the reasons I thought Ping could do a single length set so easily!

Similar to a Wishon design with same head weight and lie angle. You could build a set of G irons using the CTP to dial in the head weight and then go into the G max for the high COR heads.

Ping lets you do almost anything... I think I could even order something similar to my TLT specs and get all the swing weights bang on.
                            Bag: PING Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Floral
                            Driver: TM SIM2 MAX @ 10.5*
                            Wood: TM SIM2 MAX @ 15*
                            Hybrids: TM SIM2 22*
                            Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW
                            Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60*
                            Putter: SGC WB Northwood
                            Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Comment

I noticed that as well; I just assumed it wasn't an option.

Comment

Originally posted by jburns View Post
                                That's one of the reasons I thought Ping could do a single length set so easily!

Similar to a Wishon design with same head weight and lie angle. You could build a set of G irons using the CTP to dial in the head weight and then go into the G max for the high COR heads.

Ping lets you do almost anything... I think I could even order something similar to my TLT specs and get all the swing weights bang on.
                                Don't know how much weight the Pings allow you to move around, but to get a wedge to a 6 iron weight you are talking up to 30 grams. Taking that much weight out of a head or adding a great deal of weight, really messes with the CG.
                                it's just really not easy to take a standard set of irons and make them into single length.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X