Collapse

Why You Should Clean Your Wedge Grooves

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why You Should Clean Your Wedge Grooves

I just wanted to share this, because I know I get laze out there and sometimes after a couple practice swings have dirt and grass stuck in the grooves. I had no idea how much difference it makes.

Cleanliness is next to Golflyness... In this installment of Fried Eggs we discuss the importance of keeping the grooves of your golf clubs clean. Laugh, Subs...

This Youtube channel is pretty jokes, but yet very informative.

Re: Why You Should Clean Your Wedge Grooves

Originally posted by Ricelude View Post
    I just wanted to share this, because I know I get laze out there and sometimes after a couple practice swings have dirt and grass stuck in the grooves. I had no idea how much difference it makes.

Cleanliness is next to Golflyness... In this installment of Fried Eggs we discuss the importance of keeping the grooves of your golf clubs clean. Laugh, Subs...

This Youtube channel is pretty jokes, but yet very informative.
    Wow - those numbers are shocking.

I would never have guessed they would be so different. Bad news for lazy people (like me).
    "Confusion" will be my epitaph
    ...Iggy

Comment

It isn't just the grooves but the entire face.

The green slime on the face of the club acts as a lubricant. Balance of probabilities is that if you are practicing your short game, without cleaning the faces, shots will start to launch higher with less spin.

I watch guys at my course practice with wedges that are caked with dirt and green slime and can't figure out why each shot is different.
      I like big putts and I cannot lie
      You other putters can't deny
      That when a putt goes in with an itty bitty pace
      You're gonna fist pump in their face - Sir Putts-A-Lot

It's how well you golf fast!!!!

Comment

Will have to dig out my "Frogger Golf BrushPro Blue retractable Dual-Bristle" and put it on the bag.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

so now you know what to do, if you want to fly it an extra 10 yds..
          things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
            forward press
            Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
            Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
            Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll View Post
              It isn't just the grooves but the entire face.

The green slime on the face of the club acts as a lubricant. Balance of probabilities is that if you are practicing your short game, without cleaning the faces, shots will start to launch higher with less spin.

I watch guys at my course practice with wedges that are caked with dirt and green slime and can't figure out why each shot is different.
              It's the same with liquid, which is especially prevalent in mornings due to dew. If you take a full practice swing, and the club face is wet, then you're going to see a lower spin rate on your ball, because the water decreases the friction the club face can deliver to the ball in that split millisecond it impacts the ball.

On mid- to long irons this could actually decrease carry, as the spin rate drops too low for it to be able to lift the ball up in the air sufficiently.

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
                Yeah, will he do a follow-up video explaining how he got 10-15 yards more on his wedges?!!
                Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post
                  Yeah, will he do a follow-up video explaining how he got 10-15 yards more on his wedges?!!
                  the secret is in the dirt.
                  he never mentions the extra yards with the dirt filled grooves.
                  things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Damn, massive difference.. Funny the other week my buddy wanted me to machine some deeper grooves for him and I asked him "why, so you can hold more dirt"
                    In the bag:
                    -TaylorMade R15 driver/ aldila nv 2kxv 65g x-stiff
                    -Cleveland Classic 3 Wood strong 14*
                    -TaylorMade Burner 2.0 5-PW irons
                    -Nike Vr 58, 54, 52 deg. wedge
                    -Custom milled putter from 303SS

Comment

Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post
                      Will have to dig out my "Frogger Golf BrushPro Blue retractable Dual-Bristle" and put it on the bag.
                      Checked it out but a bit pricey. I'll get the one from Golfworks.
                      The Maxfli Groover Brush Features a Retractable Groove Cleaning Tip

Comment

Wow.. Thanks for this. Didn't realize there was such a huge difference between clean and dirty wedges. I should probably put my brush to use from now on.

Comment

Very enlightning , thanks for posting !

Comment

Very common to see dirty clubs in people's bags, nice when the cart has a club cleaner.

Comment

Originally posted by nearace View Post
                              Very common to see dirty clubs in people's bags, nice when the cart has a club cleaner.
                              The club cleaners are always welcome, but nothing beats a handy wet towel and the metal bristle brush.
                              I've always been aprehensive with dunking my irons in some unknown club cleaner.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X