/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Hard plastic travel case vs soft "firm" shell ?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hard plastic travel case vs soft "firm" shell ?

I doubt they will refuse your clubs in a soft case, it is more likely they are just covering their azz in the event of damage. The key with soft cases I find is to buy a quality soft case. The super cheap ones, you might as well just cover the bag with saran wrap.

Personally, I would never consider a hard case as they are bulky, heavy and awkward to handle. Good quality soft cases will have some structure to them and roll just fine through the airport.
    10 degree Cobra Fly-Z+ / Matrix White Tie 55X4
    16 degree Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 / Fujikura Speeder 865
    20 degree Ping Rapture V2 Hybrid / MR JavlinFX
    4-AW Nike Vapor Pro Combo / DG Pro

54, 58 degree Ping Glide / CFS
    Ping Anser Redwood

Srixon ZStar XV

Comment

there are many posts on this topic already. I've chimed in many times. Suggest searching here for more details. similar responses to what's posted here though.

Hard cases, although can be difficult to store or fit in rentals, are the only case I'd use to protect my gear when traveling. Airlines will not cover any damage unless they are in a hard case. Love my SKB.

Comment

Have you ever considered a hybrid case/bag ? They're about the same cost as a hard case but actually become your bag once you reach your destination. They are hard-sided by virtue of their hard shell 'lining' and clip on hard shell top.

I never travel any other way now ! Check them out before you decide on other options to cover that base too - very convenient to transport as well.

Comment

If you've traveled like have and seen what the grounds crew do to luggage, the only way to go and NOT be concerned about damage is a hard shell case. What's the main point... to protect the contents, the only way to best assure that is a hard shell, no Russian roulette and no fighting with the airline about damage... just my two cents on the subject.

I rented an SKB case from www.golfcaserentals.ca
          it was simple and easy.

Have a great trip to Myrtle Beach

Comment

Bagboy Hybrid works great has pocket for shoes. Mine has made multiple trips to Mexico Caribbean and Chile with no problem when you arrive take the top off and that's your bag as well.
            Canada
            Callaway Epic GBB Accra F 260 M3
            Titleist TS2 16.5*
            Taylormade Rescue 22*
            4-PW Callaway Apex CF16 Accra 90i
            52* Clevland RTX 4.0
            56* Cleveland RTX 4.0
            Scotty Circa 62 # 7 35”

Florida
            Cobra F6
            R7 15*
            Nicket Ironwood 3 Hybrid 20*
            Srixon Z565 4-G Project X LZ 5.5
            Vokey 56* 60*
            Pyramid 34 “

Comment

I gone with the same Ping collapsible soft case and Club Glove Stiff Arm for 10 years. Never had any issues.
              Attached Files
              Member of Cedar Brae GC

Comment

There is a reason why all the pro's use soft cases. Hard cases are way too restrictive as you cant fit them in most vehicles and the chances of your clubs getting ruined is rare with soft shells. Before you say yeah but pro's get free clubs... true but they also use their clubs with the current specs to make a living and have nightmares about replacing their whole bag in a rush as no two clubs are even the same.
                Driver - Taylormade SIM MAX 9.0 Diamana S
                3W - Taylormade M4
                5 wood - Callaway X Hot
                4 Hybrid - Taylormade R15
                Irons - Taylormade 2017 P790 5-PW
                Wedge - 52 Raw Jaws/56 MD 2 tour grind
                Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

Originally posted by hammy1983 View Post
                  There is a reason why all the pro's use soft cases. Hard cases are way too restrictive as you cant fit them in most vehicles and the chances of your clubs getting ruined is rare with soft shells. Before you say yeah but pro's get free clubs... true but they also use their clubs with the current specs to make a living and have nightmares about replacing their whole bag in a rush as no two clubs are even the same.
                  Ask Matt Goggin what he thinks

Get the latest golf, now. Follow along as we publish live pga news coverage of your favorite tour player and their performance each week.

or Lee Janzen

The airlines managed to drag Lee Janzen's golf bag behind the luggage tram and destroyed his whole set. The 60* wedge ended up at 22* loft and 30* lie. For more Pics and chatter click here to go to article on GolfWRX   By Brian Wacker, PGATOUR.COM A lost or delayed bag is one thing. […]

and yes, they don't pay for them. They can also go to the tour van and get a replacement set very quickly. Us not so much.
                  MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

The Sun Mountain Glide series + stiff arm best way to go. Can push/pull a 50lb golf bag through the airport with two fingers. IMO, a travel bag without the weight support legs is pointless (I've had one before).

Hard case just too cumbersome. Never had problems with damage. My woods heads can be removed and packed in regular luggage (or even carry on) for further safety but I haven't even bothered with that.

Comment

I have a hard case. After only a few trips it looks as if its been to war and back.
                      I can only imagine the abuse it takes in cargo.
                      It is always a concern about rental cars ect since it wont fit in any car.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post

Get the latest golf, now. Follow along as we publish live pga news coverage of your favorite tour player and their performance each week.

or Lee Janzen

The airlines managed to drag Lee Janzen's golf bag behind the luggage tram and destroyed his whole set. The 60* wedge ended up at 22* loft and 30* lie. For more Pics and chatter click here to go to article on GolfWRX   By Brian Wacker, PGATOUR.COM A lost or delayed bag is one thing. […]

and yes, they don't pay for them. They can also go to the tour van and get a replacement set very quickly. Us not so much.
                        Ask the millions of people who traveled using soft cases without incident what they think.
                        10 degree Cobra Fly-Z+ / Matrix White Tie 55X4
                        16 degree Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 / Fujikura Speeder 865
                        20 degree Ping Rapture V2 Hybrid / MR JavlinFX
                        4-AW Nike Vapor Pro Combo / DG Pro

54, 58 degree Ping Glide / CFS
                        Ping Anser Redwood

Srixon ZStar XV

Comment

Originally posted by Section ThirtyOne View Post
                          Ask the millions of people who traveled using soft cases without incident what they think.
                          I'd agree the chances are small, but given the way airlines handle luggage, the amount my clubs are worth and what the airlines will compensate me for if they damage them, I am going hardcase all day long.

Comment

or Lee Janzen

Both still using soft cases. I agree they are not as safe but with hard cases your almost 100% going to have a problem with transportation to and from the airport. Soft case, small risk of damage.
                            I have done player transportation at the Canadian open 5 times and I have not seen 1 player use a hard case. When I asked a few times... It was clear its not easy to transport.

I'd agree the chances are small, but given the way airlines handle luggage, the amount my clubs are worth and what the airlines will compensate me for if they damage them, I am going hardcase all day long.
                            I agree... if you have a way and the means... I would for sure. driving a van or a pick up to and from the airport is amazing. Unfortunately even then you better be certain on the vehicle on the other end.
                            Driver - Taylormade SIM MAX 9.0 Diamana S
                            3W - Taylormade M4
                            5 wood - Callaway X Hot
                            4 Hybrid - Taylormade R15
                            Irons - Taylormade 2017 P790 5-PW
                            Wedge - 52 Raw Jaws/56 MD 2 tour grind
                            Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

Both still using soft cases. I agree they are not as safe but with hard cases your almost 100% going to have a problem with transportation to and from the airport. Soft case, small risk of damage.
                              I have done player transportation at the Canadian open 5 times and I have not seen 1 player use a hard case. When I asked a few times... It was clear its not easy to transport.

I agree... if you have a way and the means... I would for sure. driving a van or a pick up to and from the airport is amazing. Unfortunately even then you better be certain on the vehicle on the other end.
                              There's the answer then. They're both still using soft cases.

A few years ago I took my clubs out to Vancouver with the family and we rented a minivan. Unfortunately there were no minivans left at the airport when we arrived. The rental company nicely upgraded us to a Jag. Even the soft case took up a lot of room in that.
                              "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                              ...Iggy

Comment

and both still get their clubs for free and have a tour van at their beck and call.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X