Collapse

Grip installs

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grip installs

Anybody but golftown do grip installations? $2.50 for grips purchased there (didn't) or $5 for purchased elsewhere (did) seems like a rip off. Just wondering if anyone knows of a reputable place that does it.

Re: Grip installs

Originally posted by WOV08 View Post
    Anybody but golftown do grip installations? $2.50 for grips purchased there (didn't) or $5 for purchased elsewhere (did) seems like a rip off. Just wondering if anyone knows of a reputable place that does it.
    Ask in the pro shop at the golf course that you play at.
    Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

know question this comes up on TGN every few month. A few comments:
      1. it's Spring and it's the worst time to get new grips as prices are high. Wait for the winter purchase/install deal they have every year
      2. do it yourself. Many have limited resources at home but still do their own. I need to set up a new space since my move but having a table/vice, an exacto, double sided tape, and solvent is all you need. For those who do it simpler get an air compressor. Don't need much space. I bought one at Canadian Tire a few years ago for $40 or $50. Pays for itself after one install.
      3. lots of local places do it in the GTA.... Modern Golf, Kona Golf, etc..... Will it be any cheaper? Maybe but not much.

Comment

Pick up some double sided tape and grip solvent (or paint thinner or the like). Come over to my place and I'll do them for you. Because you're in Mississauga. It's the neighbourly thing to do. After a couple you'll take over.

Comment

You can get double sided tape and solvent pretty cheap on Amazon.ca
          TM M2 D-type 9.5 Accra CS1 70
          TM Jetspeed tour 19* Accra CS1 80
          TM M2 tour 4-9 Accra ICWT 95
          Callaway X-Forged 48, 52, 58, 64 Pro Modus3 105
          Nike method MC3i

Osprey Valley Century Club
          100 holes - May 2, 2016

Comment

Bought a kit at golftown comes with solvent & tape , a brace for a vice that you don't really need for $17.95 pretty simple install

Comment

Air compressor is really easy to blow them on.

Comment

Thanks for all of the suggestions and offers (too kind). A friend has offered to do them for me (he has done his own for years). Again, thanks everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by nearace View Post
                  Air compressor is really easy to blow them on.
                  funny, I've never had any success doing this. Watched the videos. No luck.
                  MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post
                    funny, I've never had any success doing this. Watched the videos. No luck.
                    All you have to is to get it going. Apply a little solvent on the inside of the grip and get it going on the first 1/8 of the shaft.

Grip Blowing Instructions
                    To install a grip:
                    Dip mouth of grip in soapy water or mineral spirits to a depth
                    of 1/4 to 1/2 ". Start mouth of grip onto shaft in usual way, put blowgun nozzle
                    tip into vent hole of grip, hold grip near the mouth, apply burst of air while guiding
                    the grip mouth onto shaft. The grip will slide on.
                    It takes a little practice to learn how long the burst of air should be.
                    Air goes down inside of shaft, tries to escape out of the grip, grip expands and
                    will slide on. Remove the air gun from the vent hole while holding the grip fully
                    down the shaft.
                    To align a grip, apply a short burst of air while rotating grip to desired
                    alignment. Start it right and you can skip alignment!

Comment

Originally posted by Tintin View Post
                      All you have to is to get it going. Apply a little solvent on the inside of the grip and get it going on the first 1/8 of the shaft.

Grip Blowing Instructions
                      To install a grip:
                      Dip mouth of grip in soapy water or mineral spirits to a depth
                      of 1/4 to 1/2 ". Start mouth of grip onto shaft in usual way, put blowgun nozzle
                      tip into vent hole of grip, hold grip near the mouth, apply burst of air while guiding
                      the grip mouth onto shaft. The grip will slide on.
                      It takes a little practice to learn how long the burst of air should be.
                      Air goes down inside of shaft, tries to escape out of the grip, grip expands and
                      will slide on. Remove the air gun from the vent hole while holding the grip fully
                      down the shaft.
                      To align a grip, apply a short burst of air while rotating grip to desired
                      alignment. Start it right and you can skip alignment!
                      trust me, I've tried, more than once as I had grips to save.

Comment

trust me, I've tried, more than once as I had grips to save.
                        Different story when grip tape was used but can still be done.

What kind of tip do you use? You need to use 5 and 6 below

Comment

I used the needle to put mine on

Comment

yep, that's what I have and usually have grip tape.

Comment

yep, that's what I have and usually have grip tape.
                              Grip tape? Hopefully not double sided. Not needed. It's probably why you can't get them to slide down the shaft. If you want to use tape to build it up a bit use masking tape. Set your PSI at 90.
                              That will work for sure.Take a look at this video. No tape
                              Last edited by Tintin; May 24, 2017, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X