Collapse

Westmount Country Club

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westmount Country Club

Golfing there this Sunday and would like any comments or tips from fellow tgn'rs regarding this Stanley Thompson course in KW area. Thanks for any comments or helpful tips. Good golfing to all! Rob

Re: Westmount Country Club

First, pin colors are gold (front), red (middle), blue (back)... that setup is somewhat different than many courses.

1 - Keep your tee shot and second shot down the right hand side as the fairway feeds everything left. Green is deep with a large swale in the middle, important to know your distance to the pin to have a chance at birdie.

2 - Plays longer than the yardage as the hole is uphill. Try to hit a drive to the top of the hill so you have a look at the narrow, deep green. Putts break a lot more than you'd think on this hole; have a look from a couple of different angles.

3 - Short is the preferred miss here, long is dead, as is right of the green if the pin is on that side.

4 - Toughest tee shot on the course, don't try to cut too much off and bring the left hand trees into play. Stay below the hole, the green has significant back to front slope.

5 - Another tricky tee shot, again don't try to cut off more than you can handle. The rough on the left is some of the thickest and deepest on the course. Try to give yourself a good angle to the pin for the third shot, there are lots of bunkers surrounding the green. This green also slopes heavily back to front, so stay below the hole.

6 - Short again is the preferred miss, long is toast and the back bunkers are super dead. 3 putts are very common on this hole.

7 - Driver is the play here, cut the corner or shape it around. A decent tee ball here will leave you 210ish or less into the green. Big drop off behind the green, not a good place to miss.

8 - Don't even think about hitting driver unless the pin is back right. Otherwise, hit a shot about 160 yards to leave yourself a wedge in. Tee shot to the left side leaves a better angle, right side leaves better chance of a flat lie. Green slopes front to back and right to left.

9 - Hit driver down the left side, there is a speed slot there that will kick the ball forward and leave you with a wedge in. Anything right will kick down into a nasty valley.

10 - 3-wood or hybrid off the tee here will leave you with a wedge into a green with a sneaky amount of break.

11 - Drive down the left side will leave you a shorter distance into the green. Getting on in two is a pipe dream for all but the longest hitters. Leave yourself a wedge in and you should have a good shot at birdie. Green was recently rebuilt and is fairly flat.

12 - Short flip wedge down the hill to a fairly flat green. Lots of bunkers surround, particularly short.

13 - Drive down the right will leave shorter distance, left will leave a better angle. As a lefty, I prefer the right and try to hit my second as a hard draw with a fairway wood. The birdhouse behind the green gives you an idea of where to aim.

14 - Driver or 3-wood downhill; what you see is what you get. On the approach, do **NOT** leave yourself above the hole, the green is the most severe on the course and you can putt right off the front quite easily.

15 - Big drive required here to leave yourself a short(er) iron into the raised green. One of the tougher holes on the course as the location of the green will reject any poor approaches.

16 - Cut off as much of the corner as you can, there is a ton of fairway down there that you can't see. A drive that cuts the corner can leave you with a wedge to the middle of the green, a drive that drifts left can leave you with 200 yards in.

17 - Downhill par 3 with distance that can vary greatly depending on tee blocks and pin position. Fairly straightforward although there are some quick putts.

18 - Great closing hole, uphill all the way. Hit driver and try to leave yourself with a good angle at the pin. Missing the fairway right can leave you with some tough approach shots. Green is very severe, sloping front to back and hard left to right. A back right pin is IMO, the toughest on the course.

19 - Best patio in southern Ontario. Grab a drink and a bite after the round if it is nice out.
    10 degree Cobra Fly-Z+ / Matrix White Tie 55X4
    16 degree Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 / Fujikura Speeder 865
    20 degree Ping Rapture V2 Hybrid / MR JavlinFX
    4-AW Nike Vapor Pro Combo / DG Pro

54, 58 degree Ping Glide / CFS
    Ping Anser Redwood

Srixon ZStar XV

Comment

That pretty well sums it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Section ThirtyOne View Post
        First, pin colors are gold (front), red (middle), blue (back)... that setup is somewhat different than many courses.

1 - Keep your tee shot and second shot down the right hand side as the fairway feeds everything left. Green is deep with a large swale in the middle, important to know your distance to the pin to have a chance at birdie.

2 - Plays longer than the yardage as the hole is uphill. Try to hit a drive to the top of the hill so you have a look at the narrow, deep green. Putts break a lot more than you'd think on this hole; have a look from a couple of different angles.

3 - Short is the preferred miss here, long is dead, as is right of the green if the pin is on that side.

4 - Toughest tee shot on the course, don't try to cut too much off and bring the left hand trees into play. Stay below the hole, the green has significant back to front slope.

5 - Another tricky tee shot, again don't try to cut off more than you can handle. The rough on the left is some of the thickest and deepest on the course. Try to give yourself a good angle to the pin for the third shot, there are lots of bunkers surrounding the green. This green also slopes heavily back to front, so stay below the hole.

6 - Short again is the preferred miss, long is toast and the back bunkers are super dead. 3 putts are very common on this hole.

7 - Driver is the play here, cut the corner or shape it around. A decent tee ball here will leave you 210ish or less into the green. Big drop off behind the green, not a good place to miss.

8 - Don't even think about hitting driver unless the pin is back right. Otherwise, hit a shot about 160 yards to leave yourself a wedge in. Tee shot to the left side leaves a better angle, right side leaves better chance of a flat lie. Green slopes front to back and right to left.

9 - Hit driver down the left side, there is a speed slot there that will kick the ball forward and leave you with a wedge in. Anything right will kick down into a nasty valley.

10 - 3-wood or hybrid off the tee here will leave you with a wedge into a green with a sneaky amount of break.

11 - Drive down the left side will leave you a shorter distance into the green. Getting on in two is a pipe dream for all but the longest hitters. Leave yourself a wedge in and you should have a good shot at birdie. Green was recently rebuilt and is fairly flat.

12 - Short flip wedge down the hill to a fairly flat green. Lots of bunkers surround, particularly short.

13 - Drive down the right will leave shorter distance, left will leave a better angle. As a lefty, I prefer the right and try to hit my second as a hard draw with a fairway wood. The birdhouse behind the green gives you an idea of where to aim.

14 - Driver or 3-wood downhill; what you see is what you get. On the approach, do **NOT** leave yourself above the hole, the green is the most severe on the course and you can putt right off the front quite easily.

15 - Big drive required here to leave yourself a short(er) iron into the raised green. One of the tougher holes on the course as the location of the green will reject any poor approaches.

16 - Cut off as much of the corner as you can, there is a ton of fairway down there that you can't see. A drive that cuts the corner can leave you with a wedge to the middle of the green, a drive that drifts left can leave you with 200 yards in.

17 - Downhill par 3 with distance that can vary greatly depending on tee blocks and pin position. Fairly straightforward although there are some quick putts.

18 - Great closing hole, uphill all the way. Hit driver and try to leave yourself with a good angle at the pin. Missing the fairway right can leave you with some tough approach shots. Green is very severe, sloping front to back and hard left to right. A back right pin is IMO, the toughest on the course.

19 - Best patio in southern Ontario. Grab a drink and a bite after the round if it is nice out.
        Guess you played here once?

Comment

My last visit was a couple of years ago, but I don't remember 12 green being anywhere near flat. Not even flattish. Some would call it tricked-up. Did that change?

The rest is right on, although (depending on your distance off the tee) I'm not sure I'd advise trying to curl it around the corner on 7 (or 16). Too much can go wrong unless you're an expert shaper of the ball.

4 & 8 are two of my favourite holes anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by landlord View Post
            My last visit was a couple of years ago, but I don't remember 12 green being anywhere near flat. Not even flattish. Some would call it tricked-up. Did that change?

The rest is right on, although (depending on your distance off the tee) I'm not sure I'd advise trying to curl it around the corner on 7.

4 & 8 are two of my favourite holes anywhere.
            Did a reno on 11 & 12 last fall as well as a full bunker resto.

Comment

Originally posted by tgnwoohoo View Post
              Did a reno on 11 & 12 last fall as well as a full bunker resto.
              They were fun while they lasted.

I played there 6 days a week in my early teens (the summers of 1962 and 1963 IIRC). Holes 5, 6 & 7 were in the process of being built at the time. So they are not Thompson per se but Thompson inspired. They do fit in nicely.

I seem to remember a much steeper hill (almost a cliff) on 14 as well. There may be pictures somewhere of the originals.

Comment

Originally posted by landlord View Post
                They were fun while they lasted.

I played there 6 days a week in my early teens (the summers of 1962 and 1963 IIRC). Holes 5, 6 & 7 were in the process of being built at the time. So they are not Thompson per se but Thompson inspired. They do fit in nicely.

I seem to remember a much steeper hill (almost a cliff) on 14 as well. There may be pictures somewhere of the originals.
                Those holes are Robbie Roberts, who is a ST student (kinda like Carrick today, a student of RR).

12 was a mess of a hole from the point of view of the green, no flow and tricked up (Cook redesign I think tho likely wrong). 11 wasn't that bad and completely playable.

14 is a long drop that makes the hole play considerably shorter.

Comment

The original 1, 2, and 3rd hole are where the driving range is now. You are correct in that their replacements were designed by Robbie Robinson and do tend to fit the rest of the course nicely.

11 and 12 were renovated by Thomas McBroom some years back and featured some pretty wild greens that were completely out of character with the course. 11 in particular was a bit much on what is already a difficult hole. In addition to rebuilding the greens under the direction of Doug Carrick, the area in front of the 11th green was raised up substantially. There used to be quite a valley there.
                  10 degree Cobra Fly-Z+ / Matrix White Tie 55X4
                  16 degree Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 / Fujikura Speeder 865
                  20 degree Ping Rapture V2 Hybrid / MR JavlinFX
                  4-AW Nike Vapor Pro Combo / DG Pro

54, 58 degree Ping Glide / CFS
                  Ping Anser Redwood

Srixon ZStar XV

Comment

Once you start thinking you're pretty good at golf, No. 11 comes along and says not so fast junior.

Comment

#8-if you can hit a fairly long and straight drive, GO for it!!! you'll regret not trying!!!

Comment

Was fortunate enough to play there yesterday as a guest. What a treat. I also played Cutten Fields for the first time recently and not to potty mouth CF but Westmount is just that much more of a course. Nice range. Typical private-course speed of greens (undulations, slopes), beautiful bunker sand and overall beautiful conditioning. The trees at WM are so mature and frame all the holes and while they can create issues they generally do not introduce an overly-punitive element to the game. Great food on the patio afterwards. If I lived closer and had money to burn ...
                        WITB: clubs, balls, tees, Advil and a candlestick (just in case)

Comment

Originally posted by ManFromMoffat View Post
                          Was fortunate enough to play there yesterday as a guest. What a treat. I also played Cutten Fields for the first time recently and not to potty mouth CF but Westmount is just that much more of a course. Nice range. Typical private-course speed of greens (undulations, slopes), beautiful bunker sand and overall beautiful conditioning. The trees at WM are so mature and frame all the holes and while they can create issues they generally do not introduce an overly-punitive element to the game. Great food on the patio afterwards. If I lived closer and had money to burn ...
                          When I moved to the area for work... I had to choose between Guelph and KW.... I love Guelph with my only regret being that I'm not closer to Westmount... or Holy Guacamole and City Cafe Tuna melts for that matter haha.

Summed up well... Trees are perfect and frame the course well, add a penalty, but you almost always find your ball and have a punch out. Keeps the pace of play up. The way the clubhouse and patio are situated to the course, makes for a great after round drink.

If the new highway 7 ever gets built, I'll think about it haha.

Comment

Any members of Westmount feeling charitable??

I've NEVER played Westmount and I literally live 15 min from the course. I would love to get a round in if anyone is willing to assist

(Hat in hand, etc.).

Cheers,

- Ian
                            TM Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
                            TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
                            TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
                            TM Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
                            TM My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters
                            * (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride TM Pistol
                            TM My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
                            TM Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red)
                            TM TP5 Golf Ball
                            Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
                            SkyCaddie SX550 GPS
                            Bushnell ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

Comment

Many might disagree, but I think Westmount is as fine a course as any in Ontario, and on par with St George's.
                              I play it every year on reciprocal, and I so look forward to it. Not a weak hole to be found and very, very, pretty.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X