Collapse

New bike advice

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New bike advice

So looking for some opinions from some folks here as I know cycling is a big hit. Wanting to buy my first real bike in an attempt to get out and do something. Looking for an entry level type mountain bike and have red reviews about Specialized, Trek etc.
    Going to be mostly used for riding around pavement wise and some light trails. Any suggestions?
    Driver: yup..5 of those
    3 Wood: 'bout 4
    Hybrid: few..couple of tour issue
    Irons: Too many but AP2 for now
    Wedges: Lots
    Putter: A016836

Re: New bike advice

Look on kijiji for something used. I picked up 2 specialized bikes in the past couple of years at great prices in mint condition
    MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

If you have a local bike shop with a good reputation I'd start there. All bike companies have good offerings to fit your intended use, so often it comes down to supporting local business and good service.

You probably want something with no suspension in the rear (hard tail) and possibly a short travel front shock. Or, if the trails you're riding are pretty smooth, then a rigid fork instead.

All the big bike companies have offerings that will suit your intended use. The big boys are generally Trek, Specialized, and Giant. Giant has a nifty little bike selector on their website that may be helpful http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ca/bike-finder/, but no website will help you more than a knowledgeable sales person at a local shop.

Have an idea of a budget in mind before you start shopping, and have some money left over for things like helmet, gloves, lights, water bottle, pump, etc.
      We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
      Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
      Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
      Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
      Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
      Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
      Srixon Star XV
      Ogio Grom bag

Comment

If you are looking at riding mostly on pavement with some light trails, may i suggest a cyclocross bike. Mountain bikes are overbuilt for pavement. A cyclocross bike can be bought for $1000.

Comment

Originally posted by laps View Post
          If you are looking at riding mostly on pavement with some light trails, may i suggest a cyclocross bike. Mountain bikes are overbuilt for pavement. A cyclocross bike can be bought for $1000.
          He asked for entry level and you suggest a $1,000 bike.

I haven't bought a MB in many years but isn't a thousand bucks a little steep for an entry level mountain bike?

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
          TM SLDR 10.5*
          TM SLDR 3W & TM V-Steel 5W
          TM Rescue 22*
          4-PW Mix of Mizuno MX-25's and TM RBZ's
          Wedges: Titleist SM 53* & 56*
          Ping Ketch
          Ball: What's on sale?

Comment

Originally posted by Leftygolfer30 View Post

I haven't bought a MB in many years but isn't a thousand bucks a little steep for an entry level mountain bike?
            Entry level is $1000 for quality. For that price you will get a bike that will last 10 years if properly maintained.

Comment

Maybe $1000 for everything rather then $1k for just the bike. We are assuming new purchase at a bike shop vs. Canadian Tire. Some of the basic models from Giant, Specialized and Trek start in the $500-$600 range, so after other gear, taxes out the door is likely $1k.

Comment

Originally posted by hackpro View Post
                Maybe $1000 for everything rather then $1k for just the bike. We are assuming new purchase at a bike shop vs. Canadian Tire. Some of the basic models from Giant, Specialized and Trek start in the $500-$600 range, so after other gear, taxes out the door is likely $1k.
                WOW.

I had no idea. I mean I'm aware that high end bikes are VERY expensive but had no idea an entry level bike would run that high.

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
                TM SLDR 10.5*
                TM SLDR 3W & TM V-Steel 5W
                TM Rescue 22*
                4-PW Mix of Mizuno MX-25's and TM RBZ's
                Wedges: Titleist SM 53* & 56*
                Ping Ketch
                Ball: What's on sale?

Comment

WOW.

I had no idea. I mean I'm aware that high end bikes are VERY expensive but had no idea an entry level bike would run that high.
                  I paid $175 and $225 for my 2 specialized hard rocks in excellent condition. $1000 for an entry level MTB to ride around the city is looney tunes
                  MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

WOW.

All depends on what you want. Good timing now as the 2012's are pretty well discounted as the '13s are in stock.

Can also check out here in the spring as the fall show has passed

The Toronto Bicycle Show and E-Bike Expo is the best place to see the newest trends in cycling from the top manufacturers.

You can find nice deals on some used bikes, but as always, buyer beware. Had a friend who bought a bike from a kid who basically beat the crap out of it, but looked ok otherwise.

Comment

I picked up a 2011 Norco bush pilot last year brand new for $500 even. 5 year parts and labour warranty which includes free tune ups. Didn't get to ride it as much as I would have liked but it had what I wanted. Disc breaks (ended up putting hydros on), rapid fire shifters and fork lockout. Fork lockout I would definitely suggest to anyone buying a new bike. Great feature for when you are on the road. I'm also looking into getting a second set of rims and tires since majority of the riding around here is pavement or light wooden trails. Basically for 100$ a year for 5 years my bike is guaranteed. You'll likely spend 300/400$ at sportchek or CT on a junker that will fall apart quickly. My previous bike was a KHS fxt trail which lasted 10 years. That one was $700.
                      Rip it and Sip it

Comment

WOW.

The saving grace is that for that price you get good quality. There is a trickle - down effect in bike development, so the $1000 bike today is equal to the $2000 bike of five years ago. With mountain bikes prices increase with suspension quality and durability. i have a $3000 mountain bike, but I do some serious off-roading with rocks and trees, and i weigh 220 pounds. If I stuck to groomed trails, I would ditch the rear suspension and get a lighter frame and save $1500 on my bike.

Suspensions are heavy and unnecessary on groomed trails and pavement. A cyclocross bike offers the comfort of a road bike with slightly wider knobby tires to provide grip in dirt. These bikes are light. In Quebec and Europe cyclocross racing is very popular. They compete on terrain similar to where you would have cross country running races. You can get last years model for $700. Price goes up for this year's model, lighter weight and disk brakes.

Comment

We bought some bikes last year for basic riding around the neighbourhood, and based on many suggestions, we bought Marin hybrid bikes. The hybrid bikes give you a comfortable riding position. I'm far from a bike expert, but it's worked out well for us. My wife has a bad back, and she has no problem riding the bike. We paid $3-400 for each one when on sale, and I'm sure they're better than any Crappy Tire special.
                          Ping G425 Max 9*, Accra TZ6 55 M3
                          TM Sim 2 Ti 13.5*, Accra TZ6 65 M3
                          TM Sim 2 Max 18*, Accra TZ6 65 M3
                          Ping G425 3h, Tensei Orange R
                          TM P790 5-GW, Modus 105 R
                          Cleveland CBX 56*, wedge flex
                          Cleveland CBX Zipcore 60*, wedge flex
                          LAB Mezz, Accra
                          Current hcp ~ 14

Comment

Consider a hybrid that will be ok for the road and trails. They are great.
                            Be prepared to spend anywhere from $700 to $1000 for a decent entry level bike. As with anything, spend a little more for quality, and you save in the long run.

Comment

Depending on if you need the brand name or not and plan on riding on pavement you should be good with a 200 - 300 range bike from Canadian Tire.

If you plan on doing any trail riding like kelso or hardwood hills type trails then stay away from the lower end bikes. Your body and investment will thank you. The lower end bikes tend to be heavy and have lower quality components. The more expensive you get with the bike the lighter the bike gets and the better quality components you get and it will make a difference with your riding experience

I personally have a Trek hardtail bike which has been significantly upgraded. I ride around with the kids but also hit up the trails for some crazy rides. I like the feel of a hardtail and the bumps i feel along the way. Full suspensions are very nice but very expensive as well. All personal tastes

I have spent more on bike upgrades in the last few years than I have on golf gear and I love golf gear. I've bought new brakes, front shocks, seats, cranks, pedals, etc to match my riding style and notice a difference on the trails.

the main things you have to ask your self is how you realistically seeing your self ride the bike and how often.

Used bikes are a good option if your looking for something higher end.

A few good sites to check out are but be warned it's as addicting as golf

Check out PinkBike.com for the latest in cycling and mountain biking news, freeride videos, photos, events and more. Submit your own biking pictures and videos online. Buy the latest biking DVDs and videos. Check race results.

A forum community dedicated to Mountain Bike owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about bike parts, components, deals, performance, modifications, classifieds, trails, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!

We're Oakville's premier bike shop: high-end bicycles, leisure bicycles, parts, tools, accessories, clothing, and top notch service.

good luck

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X