No announcement yet.
Collapse

ap2 9 iron same distance as rbladez pw?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ap2 9 iron same distance as rbladez pw?

Had a chance to hit an ap2 today. The turf interaction was so amazing..perfect divot every time.

But yardage was same as my 45 degree rocketbladez pw.

Both observations make sense?

In a weird way I think I could be more accurate with the ap2.

Re: ap2 9 iron same distance as rbladez pw?

Don't worry about iron distance, it's a function of the club's loft.

The important issue when Hitting irons is control and accuracy.
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
      Don't worry about iron distance, it's a function of the club's loft.

The important issue when Hitting irons is control and accuracy.
      Entirely agree!
      Of course the novices will take great pride in hitting a PW while you hit a 9 as a testimony to their ego.
      I always found the RBZ's and some callaway models to be tricked up with longer shafts and lower lofts in their clubs to fit the manufacturers claims of being longer
      The trees are full of the longer hitters

Comment

Originally posted by hemants View Post
        Had a chance to hit an ap2 today. The turf interaction was so amazing..perfect divot every time.

Manufacturers especially TM are starting to play with loft now with their irons. Look up the lofts of the specific club. For this reason it's also important to look at ball flight and dispersion

Comment

Originally posted by hemants View Post

While I agree with the others in this post that TMAG, Callaway, Cobra and the rest juice up the lofts on their GI irons, there is a reason for that. If they didn't the irons simply wouldn't go anywhere due to an excess amount of spin. Spin does wonders for helping the ball fly straighter and holding a green, but isn't so hot for helping you gain some distance. I'm going to chime in on the opposite here and argue that maybe it was the spin that was causing you to hit it shorter.

I was once in the camp that the more spin the better for an iron. However, after doing hours of testing for my new irons, I've found that for me anyway, spin on an iron works very much like the spin rate on a driver. They go hand in hand. If you hit the ball low, you need high spin, high ball, low spin, and they will effectively work with one another to give you optimal results. And to many of you, this may not come as a surprise, but it was kind of a eureka moment for me. For myself, if I can launch a 6i at 21-22*, when it should be closer to something like 18-19*, I can afford to have a lower spin rate of around 4200, as opposed to something up around 5000-5300. This was confirmed on a simulator "play test" where I was hitting into a firm green at 180 (6i distance) out with no wind at some random course programmed into the sim. I was able to consistently carry the lower spinning shaft (PX LZ 6.0) to 170-174 and have it stop between 175 and 180 on the green. Conversely, the higher spinning shaft, the Dynamic Gold AMT, I was approximately 1/2 a club shorter with virtually no run out. Both of these shafts were the top 2 picks based on the Mizuno shaft optimizer for me (PX LZ 6.0 #1 and AMT s300 #2) to illustrate I didn't just pick 2 random shafts.

So, to come back to your observation, chances are the stock shaft (AMT s300) in the 716 AP2, or even the Dynamic Gold if it was an Ap2 714 is spinning too much for you and causing that loss of yardage.

Comment

The met likely reason is the loft. It's very possible they have the same or similar lofts. Different manufacturers use different lofts for the same clubs some times. Also, there are times when the actual loft is incorrect straight from the manufacturers.
            Titleist 915 D2
            Titleist 915 F
            Wishon 929 F
            Wishon 775 Hybrid
            PING i5 Irons
            PING Tour S Rustique 52*
            PING Anser 56*
            PING Glide ES 60*
            MannKrafted Rattler XL
            MannKrafted Midwave
            SGC 902 Custom

Comment