President Obama's Farewell Address

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: President Obama's Farewell Address

Originally posted by Bern View Post
    Dig out a giant sharpie and connect the dots for me, I just don't get your rationalizations.
    When a President brings up the race card on every shooting even when there is no racism present - when the president ALWAYS implies the cops 'acted stupidly' or accuses them of 'unconscious bias' it is the same as crying wolf.

The problem with crying wolf all the time is that there ACTUALLY ARE wolves.

He has also failed to temper black lives matters who routinely go around shouting "we want dead cops".

Comment

Originally posted by mpare View Post
      You and I heard different speeches.
      Clearly

Comment

I'm guessing someone is not reading from the same prompter.
        There's a second threat to our democracy — and this one is as old as our nation itself. After my election, there was talk of a post-racial America. And such a vision, however well-intended, was never realistic. Race remains a potent and often divisive force in our society. Now, I've lived long enough to know that race relations are better than they were 10, or 20, or 30 years ago, no matter what some folks say. (Applause.) You can see it not just in statistics, you see it in the attitudes of young Americans across the political spectrum.

But we're not where we need to be. And all of us have more work to do. (Applause.) If every economic issue is framed as a struggle between a hardworking white middle class and an undeserving minority, then workers of all shades are going to be left fighting for scraps while the wealthy withdraw further into their private enclaves. (Applause.) If we're unwilling to invest in the children of immigrants, just because they don't look like us, we will diminish the prospects of our own children — because those brown kids will represent a larger and larger share of America's workforce. (Applause.) And we have shown that our economy doesn't have to be a zero-sum game. Last year, incomes rose for all races, all age groups, for men and for women.

So if we're going to be serious about race going forward, we need to uphold laws against discrimination — in hiring, and in housing, and in education, and in the criminal justice system. (Applause.) That is what our Constitution and our highest ideals require. (Applause.)

But laws alone won't be enough. Hearts must change. It won't change overnight. Social attitudes oftentimes take generations to change. But if our democracy is to work in this increasingly diverse nation, then each one of us need to try to heed the advice of a great character in American fiction — Atticus Finch — (applause) — who said “You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view…until you climb into his skin and walk around in it.”

For blacks and other minority groups, it means tying our own very real struggles for justice to the challenges that a lot of people in this country face — not only the refugee, or the immigrant, or the rural poor, or the transgender American, but also the middle-aged white guy who, from the outside, may seem like he's got advantages, but has seen his world upended by economic and cultural and technological change. We have to pay attention, and listen. (Applause.)

For white Americans, it means acknowledging that the effects of slavery and Jim Crow didn't suddenly vanish in the '60s — (applause) — that when minority groups voice discontent, they're not just engaging in reverse racism or practicing political correctness. When they wage peaceful protest, they're not demanding special treatment but the equal treatment that our Founders promised. (Applause.)

For native-born Americans, it means reminding ourselves that the stereotypes about immigrants today were said, almost word for word, about the Irish, and Italians, and Poles — who it was said we're going to destroy the fundamental character of America. And as it turned out, America wasn't weakened by the presence of these newcomers; these newcomers embraced this nation's creed, and this nation was strengthened. (Applause.)

So regardless of the station that we occupy, we all have to try harder. We all have to start with the premise that each of our fellow citizens loves this country just as much as we do; that they value hard work and family just like we do; that their children are just as curious and hopeful and worthy of love as our own. (Applause.)

And that's not easy to do. For too many of us, it's become safer to retreat into our own bubbles, whether in our neighborhoods or on college campuses, or places of worship, or especially our social media feeds, surrounded by people who look like us and share the same political outlook and never challenge our assumptions. The rise of naked partisanship, and increasing economic and regional stratification, the splintering of our media into a channel for every taste — all this makes this great sorting seem natural, even inevitable. And increasingly, we become so secure in our bubbles that we start accepting only information, whether it's true or not, that fits our opinions, instead of basing our opinions on the evidence that is out there. (Applause.)
        In The Ogio
        Driver - Titleist 910 w/Diamana 'ilima
        Fairway Woods - Titleist 980F 3 & 5 w/Speeder
        Hybrids - Titleist 910 H w/Diamana Kal'li
        Irons - Wilson FG Tour V2 w/KBS Tours
        Wedges - Wilson FG Tours w/TT DG SPinners
        Putter - Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum
        MEMBER OF THE 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2018 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Obama has that magic ability to appear composed, and employs the power of the pause in a speech like few can. This combination helped him greatly in his pursuit of the top job, and during his tenure.

Focusing only on strengths, I would say that Trump's would be his directness and the sense that you are getting what he thinks, not what someone coached him to think/say.

It will be interesting to see how that serves Trump in the coming years.
          Still getting the hang of this game!

In the Ogio Atlas for riding or Ogio Vaporlite for carrying:

Ping G2 with HOT PINK Grafalloy Bimatrix
          Srixon W-403 AD 5 wood
          Nike 23 degree hybrid
          Ping eye2+ irons 5-PW
          Cleveland CG14 Gunmetal 52, 56
          Bronze Ping Anser 3 with Tigershark grip

Comment

Originally posted by Mule56 View Post
            Just a class act all the way. He'll be a tough act to follow. Even tougher if DT hold continues on the path he's on. Maybe his speech will be off a Twitterprompter.
            He should just tweet his speech 140 character at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by hemants View Post
              When a President brings up the race card on every shooting even when there is no racism present - when the president ALWAYS implies the cops 'acted stupidly' or accuses them of 'unconscious bias' it is the same as crying wolf.

He has also failed to temper black lives matters who routinely go around shouting "we want dead cops".
              You realize we are talking about last night's speech right not articles from right wing sensationalists sites that have been created in the last 2 years.

Comment

Of which The Daily Wire is a leader.

Originally posted by Bern View Post
                You realize we are talking about last night's speech right not articles from right wing sensationalists sites that have been created in the last 2 years.
                This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Do you believe, because Obama is black, that he has some special control or influence over the BLM movement?
                  Last edited by Benz; Jan 11, 2017, 01:52 PM. Reason: Thought better of it....

Comment

And what about Trump, who openly advocated for violence and said he would pay the legal bills for anyone who was arrested for it?
                    What's in the Taylormade TMX Stand Bag:
                    Titleist 910D2 10.5* (w/ Oban Devotion)
                    RBZ 3w 15*
                    RBZ Tour 3h 18.5*
                    Adams CB2 4-GW (KBS Tour 90)
                    CG15 52*,56*

Putters:
                    Byron Morgan DH89x
                    Byron Morgan 611x

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
                      Do you believe, because Obama is black, that he has some special control or influence over the BLM movement? If so, do you also believe that all black people know each other?
                      He certainly represents himself that way. I also know more black's as a percentage voted for him than any other President in history by a long shot.

More to the point, he is always complaining about "divisive rhetoric" so it is extremely hypocritical of him to speak divisively as he does.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanFTW View Post
                        And what about Trump, who openly advocated for violence and said he would pay the legal bills for anyone who was arrested for it?
                        He never said that!

Comment

I repeat my earlier request for a specific passage that exemplifies the "divisive rhetoric" that you're talking about, and not some spin interpretation by a sensational "news" feed. Once I have it and can read that entire comments that he made at that time, then I will be in a better position to assess whether the charge made against President Obama has any legs.

He certainly represents himself that way. I also know more black's as a percentage voted for him than any other President in history by a long shot.

More to the point, he is always complaining about "divisive rhetoric" so it is extremely hypocritical of him to speak divisively as he does.
                          This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Surely you must be joking. His rhetoric brought up the race card after EVERY shooting was basically accusing cops of racism even when there was no evidence.

He certainly represents himself that way. I also know more black's as a percentage voted for him than any other
                            President in history by a long shot.

Whaaaat does that have to do with statements or decisions he makes?! lol If we were to follow that line of thinking than the high percentage of whites that voted for a white candidate would influence him when making statements or initiating legislation. Is that what you're trying to say? Has that ever been done over the last 70 years? How terrible would that be? Interesting theory though, cause I haven't heard too many in the majority class complain much about that.

Originally posted by Benz View Post
                            Do you believe, because Obama is black, that he has some special control or influence over the BLM movement?
                            Well said. Clearly he believes that.

Look fellas/gals I love popcorn as much as anyone else here, but don't expect to have a substantive discussion with potential resolution when the principle lists statements with absolutes...ie: ALWAYS, EVERY, ALL THE TIME etc...
                            Last edited by just123123; Jan 11, 2017, 03:52 PM.
                            What's In The Bag:
                            Driver: Callaway Ai Smoke Triple Diamond 9*
                            3 Wood: Callaway Paradym 15*
                            Utility(s): Ping G410 18*
                            Irons: PXG 0311 Gen6 Dark 4-GW
                            Wedge: PXG 0311 Forged 58*
                            Putter: Scotty Detour Custom

WITB FLA:
                            Same as Above

Comment

Originally posted by mpare View Post
                              I repeat my earlier request for a specific passage that exemplifies the "divisive rhetoric" that you're talking about, and not some spin interpretation by a sensational "news" feed. Once I have it and can read that entire comments that he made at that time, then I will be in a better position to assess whether the charge made against President Obama has any legs.

The jeopardy theme is playing in my head waiting for this
                              MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Simple example. Bringing up police racism at a memorial for slain Dallas police officers is disgustingly divisive.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X