Collapse

Hunters Point closing

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunters Point closing

My buddy had a "membership" there and just got the email saying sold for houses...another one bites the dust.
    What's in the Sunmountain 4.5?

10.5 M2 with Speeder 77 Stiff 3 wood shaft
    TM Rescue 17*
    TM M2 4-AW
    TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60
    Odyssey 2 Ball with Superstroke Fatso

Re: Hunters Point closing

Anybody that bought a home on the property expecting to have a home course close at hand must be very upset
    I would expect this would impact their values if they paid a premium to overlook the golf course
    I am sure there is some fine print to protect the developer....

Comment

Yup - I was a member there the last 2 summers but had already decided to go elsewhere... here's the paragraph of note in the email to the membership..

"Therefore, I have the unenviable task of informing you that Hunters Pointe Golf Course will be closed permanently to make way for future development of the lands without a golf course on the property."

Comment

Originally posted by ace in the hazard View Post
        My buddy had a "membership" there and just got the email saying sold for houses...another one bites the dust.
        I don't think we can blame this one on a shrinking of the game. Between having to drastically alter the course for the highway and the horrible management of the pace, I'm surprised it lasted this long. I only played there a few times; while I liked the front 9 and pseudo-links feel, I wasn't going back there again after another 5+ hour experience.

Back in 2009/2010 there were a collection of voices expressing concern over the economy's effect on golf and the forth-coming demise of the game unless we make vast alterations. These ideas included building 12 hole courses, making the cup bigger, and changing equipment rules to make the game easier. I disagree. Well managed courses that price themselves appropriately and deliver good service will survive. Those that don't, won't. It's Darwinian evolution within the golf industry. Crappy, badly run courses go. We are left with well-managed, lean, customer focused courses that learn and adapt. I think the golf industry will be better placed eventually.
        In the bag:
        R15 12° PXV 6.0
        SLDR 15° ATX Blue S
        Adams Pro 18° ATX, Idea Pro A12 20° NV S
        Titleist AP2 4-PW Project X 6.0
        Vokey SM5 54, 58
        Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

I would think high house/land prices were as much to blame as any shrinking of the game. I never played Hunters so can't comment on service levels etc.

TM Rescue 17*
          TM M2 4-AW
          TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60

Comment

Wow, I just signed up for the Ontario Matchplay qualifier there. Is it open for this season and then closing or is the development starting immediately?

Comment

Originally posted by jimfastcar View Post
              Anybody that bought a home on the property expecting to have a home course close at hand must be very upset
              I would expect this would impact their values if they paid a premium to overlook the golf course
              I am sure there is some fine print to protect the developer....
              The builder was charging huge premiums as recently as this past year to overlook the 11th hole - like over $100K

Comment

Originally posted by Pete12345 View Post
                Wow, I just signed up for the Ontario Matchplay qualifier there. Is it open for this season and then closing or is the development starting immediately?
                Sounds like its not opening for the season - their Facebook page is gone too.

Comment

RIP Hunters Point, that sucks. I love links golf and this was some of the best links style golf around prior to the re routing. It was a treat to go there and play. Awesome greens. I hated the 18th but looked forward to somehow playing the hole decent the next time. I looked forward to playing it every season and hopefully more than once.

High housing prices..... low play..... when a "private" club is constantly selling tee times on GolfNow, well the writing is kind of on the wall. How sad.

I was miffed at the re routing, swore I would never go back after that. But it still hurts to see another one fall by the wayside.....

Comment

The email said they would be returning some fees and unused account balances so I would assume immediately but can't say for sure.

TM Rescue 17*
                    TM M2 4-AW
                    TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60

Comment

Originally posted by NiagaraGolfGirl View Post
                      Sounds like its not opening for the season - their Facebook page is gone too.
                      My apologies, it was Heron Point I signed up for, not Hunters Point. Still very sad to see another course go.

Comment

Got my only hole in one at this course.
                        Too bad its closing.
                        Always enjoyed playing it.

Comment

Fudge! I really like that course. I was under the impression of their plan was always to develop into housing but this seems all of a sudden. Glad I got out last year for my last one of the year.
                          I send pictures ~ through the mail ~ of buried treasures ~ and Humpback whales ~to famous people ~ I do not know ~ I sign "Sincerely, ~ Matthias Doe" ~ I await ~ their response...

Comment

One of HP's owners Sandy Billyard is part of the new ownership group at Port Colborne country club - from their website...

The Port Colborne Country Club
                            is now under “NEW” ownership.

The new ownership group consists of Mr. Allan Billyard, his brother
                            Mr. Sandy Billyard and Mr. Nick Durbano. Each of these gentlemen
                            have been staples in the Niagara Golf Community for many years and
                            plan to restore this beautiful facility to it’s former glory.

Comment

Looking at the home page of their web site there is no indication that they are closing . They even thank the members for the 2016 season and See you in the spring. I see the memberships at Port Colborne have increased substantially and in my opinion based on other courses here in Niagara aren't worth it. I imagine their green fees won't be that attractive either.
                              If they do close Hunter's Pointe , we will be losing a great links style golf course.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X