Collapse

Hunters Pointe Welland?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunters Pointe Welland?

Anyone else hear that this course has closed down. I heard this week that it was sold for housing development. Sad news if true, one of my favorite golf courses.
    Bridgestone J715 10.5
    Adams Tight Lies Titanium 13.5
    Adams Super LS 17d.
    Mizuno JPX-850 forged 4-PW
    Scratch 8620 53d.
    Callaway X-forged 58d.
    Odyssey White Hot Tour #2
    Srixon Q-star tour

Re: Hunters Pointe Welland?

Chat about your favourite, best and worse Toronto golf courses. Share experiences or ask questions about Golf Courses and Country Clubs in the GTA, Ontario, Canada, or top golf travel destinations.

Comment

Don't know how I missed the thread on this, thanks for posting. Any members future plans?
      Bridgestone J715 10.5
      Adams Super LS 17d.
      Scratch 8620 53d.
      Callaway X-forged 58d.
      Srixon Q-star tour

Comment

I phoned Jack Baird from Welland yesterday to let him know about Hunters Point's sale. We talked briefly on the phone and then he said he had to go and pick up his wife Lynn. He wrote me again this morning.

The closing of Hunters Point, as written in the article below, and the pending closure of Glen Abbey tells a big story in the golf world. Golf today is not what we knew it in past years. Today the game has been turned into a corporate venture which escalates the cost of membership ( play ) , equipment cost and just to much effort to play and enjoy 18 holes ( 6 hours? ). Young people ( mainly well off monetarily ones ) have the means to indulge in the sport but to the average “Joe” it is a big commitment and certainly not worth the effort and their time. Personally, I would just like to be able to swing at a golf ball on a driving range and to direct each shot in a manner of what I intended. That would give me more pleasure than any golf course. Jack

Jack was a very good Junior player in his youth and played out of Lookout Point G & CC. He did compete Regionally and in Provincial Tournaments. In the early 80's he took and passed courses in Golf Club Building from Dynacraft and was a "Certified Class A Club Builder" recognized by the Professional Club Builders Society. He's worked on Hickory shaft clubs, steel shaft persimmon woods and metal head clubs, Graphite shaft clubs...I learned steel shaft persimmon wood 4R's from Jack.

Something to think about - Blair
        " One Day At A Time"

Comment

There was an article in the Welland Tribune yesterday, outlining the Billyards difficulty in making Hunters a viable operation, and the purchase of Port Colborne golf club.

The article indicated that Hunters had 550 members, which I find highly unlikely in this day and age. At least in the Niagara area. I'm only guessing, but I'd be surprised if they had 200 members.

Still wondering where they'll go though. Maybe with the plans for Port Colborne, they'll head there.
          Bridgestone J715 10.5
          Adams Super LS 17d.
          Scratch 8620 53d.
          Callaway X-forged 58d.
          Srixon Q-star tour

Comment

I found that number rather high as well, I think most of the members were the prestige memberships where they paid I believe $299.00 and then $30.00 per round. I left there a few years ago as they jacked up the price of full memberships and I was told that most members were prestige members. It sucks that we are losing a great links style course . There are still lots of great golf courses in Niagara so I hope these courses benefit in some way so that we don't lose any more.

Comment

Originally posted by 73monte View Post
              There was an article in the Welland Tribune yesterday, outlining the Billyards difficulty in making Hunters a viable operation, and the purchase of Port Colborne golf club.

The article indicated that Hunters had 550 members, which I find highly unlikely in this day and age. At least in the Niagara area. I'm only guessing, but I'd be surprised if they had 200 members.

Still wondering where they'll go though. Maybe with the plans for Port Colborne, they'll head there.
              I send pictures ~ through the mail ~ of buried treasures ~ and Humpback whales ~to famous people ~ I do not know ~ I sign "Sincerely, ~ Matthias Doe" ~ I await ~ their response...

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
              X