Collapse

Tournament Feedback/Suggestions Input

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tournament Feedback/Suggestions Input

Guys, I am on an amateur tournament committee and I thought what better place than here to ask about tournaments and feedback from the wealth of knowledge that is right here on TGN. The tournament is the Kawartha Invitational and is a flighted 3 day tournament that takes place on August long weekend. I am looking for ways to improve the tournament.

So here goes:

What makes you want to enter a tournament?

What makes you want to come back to a tournament?

What do you value in a tournament?

What do you expect for your entry fee?

Please, don't hold back here, think of any tournaments that you have went in and why you liked them, what was happing there that you liked, as well think about what you didn't like and why you didn't like it, so we can avoid doing those things as well.

Thanks everyone.

Re: Tournament Feedback/Suggestions Input

I play tournaments because I love golf and competition in golf, it improves my game and I find it enjoyable

Very important to be grouped with players who understand golf etiquette and understand they are playing in a tournament. eg. play by the rules, don't make sounds or movements when somebody is playing their ball, etc

Having various different ways to win prizes

A good meal on Saturday

Side games for $

Fair cost, normal green fees rate plus some headroom to pay for the tournament
    Cheers,
    Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by willylax View Post
      Guys, I am on an amateur tournament committee and I thought what better place than here to ask about tournaments and feedback from the wealth of knowledge that is right here on TGN. The tournament is the Kawartha Invitational and is a flighted 3 day tournament that takes place on August long weekend. I am looking for ways to improve the tournament.

So here goes:

What makes you want to enter a tournament?

What makes you want to come back to a tournament?

What do you value in a tournament?

What do you expect for your entry fee?

Please, don't hold back here, think of any tournaments that you have went in and why you liked them, what was happing there that you liked, as well think about what you didn't like and why you didn't like it, so we can avoid doing those things as well.

Thanks everyone.
      The venue
      Treatment and value
      The competition
      course to be in the best shape it can be
      Food and drinks
      Great prize table and not just golf related items

Comment

That's fantastic! I'll be giving this some thought and will share via post/pm

I'm looking forward to the tournament and already I've had 5 people that have never played it express interest in participating.

Comment

Scrutinize handicaps.

Comment

1)
            Make it clear to all concerned whether the tournament is competitive or casual, or a mixture. Maybe you can segregate the 'serious' golfers by the flighting.
            2)
            Give the beginners ample information about what is required/expected/appreciated in terms of their participation, especially etiquette that may affect other players.
            If you have a single who is also a beginner, make sure that you pair him/her with a more experienced player who doesn't mind helping that person throughout the event. Beginners have enough to think about without being paired with a low-capper trying to focus on his game, otherwise it can be a bad day for all concerned.
            3)
            Give everyone an equal chance to win most of the prizes, especially the premium ones. That is, don't ask everyone for an entry fee if part of it subsidizes the cost of high-end prizes for low-gross scoring. That's just not fair to the people who have absolutely no chance of winning them.
            Create separate optional prize pools for the competitive players, e.g. long drive, skins, low gross, etc..
            4)
            Be careful about net scoring based on unsupported handicaps (and, sometimes, even the supported ones) and the prizes that are associated with net scoring. There's nothing that can sour the mood quite like seeing a sandbagger claim a bunch of prizes after he claims to have 'had a really good day'. It it's blatant, people may sense that the fix is in and then you may have a hard time getting them to come back the next year.
            5)
            Respect requests by players to be paired together. The tournament may be an annual outing and the only time the players get out as a group, so it can add to their experience.
            6)
            If it's a charity event, avoid gift bags. People often want to see their donations go toward the cause rather than the baubles that come in a gift bag.
            7)
            Avoid providing any free alcohol, including wine with dinner. Free booze can often just lead to abuse by a few that can ruin things for many.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteWalker View Post
              Scrutinize handicaps.
              We have a handicap committee that does that already. It is very tightly watched for sure.

Comment

If you allow people to take carts in the tournament then pair them with others taking a cart in the flight. One of my pet peeves in the GTA AM Tour, when I found myself walking and getting paired with someone in a cart it throws off the rhythm and pace of those walking, they feel rushed even though they are not playing slower.
                "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott

Comment

I'd like to see maybe a 1 day event for beginners like myself in the 25 to 30 handicap range who would like to try a tournament like this but have never played a tourney before. A casual tournament with rules but where there are small prizes and we can get our feet wet. Then hopefully that drives increased participation the next year in the actual tourney

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                  X