Grip Cleaning - the 'Secret' Method

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Grip Cleaning - the 'Secret' Method

Originally posted by PingGolfer View Post
    Would the nylon brush be something like this ?
    What I use to compliment the 'Secret' Method
    It bristles are even worn and bent to hicely surround the grip
    Last edited by TourIQ; Mar 24, 2013, 11:43 PM.
    Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
    Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
    Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

I'm going to go find the oldest warn out grip at a good will to test it out I think! This is so cool!

Comment

Cleaned and totally rejuvenated my grips today with this method. Awesome. $7 investment for the tire cleaner and brush saved me a ton of dough. Thanks!

PING G425 MAX 9*
        PING G410 3W , 3H
        KYOEI KK CB 4-PW
        KYOEI KK PROTO WEDGES 52, 56
        MIURA 1957 KGRIND 60
        KYOEI BLADE PUTTER BLACK DLC
        ​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by cleveland cal View Post
          Cleaned and totally rejuvenated my grips today with this method. Awesome. $7 investment for the tire cleaner and brush saved me a ton of dough. Thanks!
          At this rate no need for an annual grip sale.

Comment

Actually all you need to do is rinse with warm water then take an old toothbrush and use baking soda on the grip it really doeas a great job, then rinse it and pat it dry with paper towels this works great. Also use this for cleaning the face of clubs works great. Try it

Comment

Thx for the detail steps^^

Comment

I've changed grips before tourney's and have had sooooo much bad luck...turned out I wasn't removing the grip solvent from the grips and the new grips were like oil slicks.... i scored badly and barely hit greens at all....but they were winn grips and found the same problem in the rain... i found If I drenched them in baby powder and talc and absorbed the oils they returned to normal quickly...

Comment

Thanks! Picked up a bottle yesterday and was able to bring back a set of Cleveland Clubs with GP Tour Velvet grips back to life. Quite a few were hard and slippery before the treatment. Now they feel new again!
                  Difference between Regular, Stiff, X-Stiff is the amount of alcohol content. Enjoy responsibly.

Mizuno SWING DNA Speed [85] Tempo [4] ToeDown [4] KickAngle [4] Release [8]

Comment

• Grip Cleaning - the 'Secret' Method

^^^ WINN grips are only decent for a putter. Rebuilt a complete set from the tour dept for a CANtour player and he provided the 3 color WINN grips at my insistance over my suggestion to use Lamkin not WINN. He went with WINN since the 3 colors matched his rugby team back home. Seen him a year later and he said those WINN grips were terrible. Ya no kidding. My new driver had a stock WINN grip and I could feel the head twisting. Before the next game I rebuilt it with a Lamkin and no more twisting.
                    Originally posted by yumisatomi View Post
                    Thx for the detail steps^^
                    Your welcome. I hope you didn't short change yourself while performing step 12.

Comment

Originally posted by TourIQ View Post
                      ^^^ WINN grips are only decent for a putter. Rebuilt a complete set from the tour dept for a CANtour player and he provided the 3 color WINN grips at my insistance over my suggestion to use Lamkin not WINN. He went with WINN since the 3 colors matched his rugby team back home. Seen him a year later and he said those WINN grips were terrible. Ya no kidding. My new driver had a stock WINN grip and I could feel the head twisting. Before the next game I rebuilt it with a Lamkin and no more twisting.
                      Your welcome. I hope you didn't short change yourself while performing step 12.
                      Funny reading that...I bought a Titleist driver on Kijiji...great shape and the grip was changed to a Winn black/red color by the owner to match the headcover. I thought it was nice!
                      Went home, washed under water and a little scrub. The Winn grip felt slimmy on first contact with water. Off to the shed and cut it out. Jsut terrible and I don't think the 'Secret' can even make Winn grips good enough.
                      All LH :

Driver : TM SLDR430 10.5° Fuji Atmos Red
                      4-wood : Tour Edge Lift-Off AnyLie 16.5°
                      3-PW : Nike Victory Red II ProCombo
                      Wedges : Nike VRII 52-degree / 58-degree
                      Putter : Odyssey White Ice #9

Comment

Originally posted by Pengyo View Post
                        The Winn grip felt slimmy on first contact with water. Off to the shed and cut it out. Just terrible and I don't think the 'Secret' can even make Winn grips good enough.
                        I tend to agree, I should have made a notation that terrible WINN grips are excluded from the 'Secret' Method.

Comment

Cleaning by wiping paint thinner or rubbing alcohol is the only solution to Winns slick surface.

Comment

My initial results :

First off, it is still a lot of work but the result is on par or better than my rare occasion but extreme method by gentle sanding down with fine paper and washing with detergent. Hey, SECRET is much less work than sanding the damn grips !!

I like that smell of 'new' rubber after it's done...almost like new grip except for a regular Pingman putter grip I had to do 3 times before it felt newer.

I'll see how many rounds will the 'new' fell last. I dig the initial results.

I am pretty liberal with the Simoniz and I have 4 full sets in the basement that can use some TLC so the Simoniz may not last me that long LOL
                            Last edited by Pengyo; Jul 17, 2012, 11:57 PM.
                            All LH :

Driver : TM SLDR430 10.5° Fuji Atmos Red
                            4-wood : Tour Edge Lift-Off AnyLie 16.5°
                            3-PW : Nike Victory Red II ProCombo
                            Wedges : Nike VRII 52-degree / 58-degree
                            Putter : Odyssey White Ice #9

Comment

Does this work on Golf Pride New Decade Grips?

Comment

^ yes, like said previously just rinse them throughly
                                Driver - Taylormade SIM MAX 9.0 Diamana S
                                3W - Taylormade M4
                                5 wood - Callaway X Hot
                                4 Hybrid - Taylormade R15
                                Irons - Taylormade 2017 P790 5-PW
                                Wedge - 52 Raw Jaws/56 MD 2 tour grind
                                Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard