Collapse

What my TLT set looks like...

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What my TLT set looks like...

Got lots of messages as a result of some TLT talk in other threads so I wanted to post a few lines and try and show you the size differences in my set.

I used a TLT for awhile many years ago and I really liked how they played. I went into the full on TGN Club Ho mode for a number of years and never wanted to invest the money in the retrofits so I hadn't been back to TLT... until now.

Since my first set I've always kept in touch with Dan and he's been a true pro and a gentlemen when it comes to helping me with clubs. Beyond doing work anytime I had questions I could call or email and he would always respond and give me the answers for the questions I had.

What brought me back to TLT was all the reading I have been doing on Sterling Irons, single length clubs, and a desire for greater consistency. I liked my set-up and deep down I knew the constant swapping of clubs wasn't helping me. But before diving into single length full on I decided I would get back into TLT again.

After almost two months of chatting with Dan I decided I would make the jump not two weeks before leaving on my golf trip. I wasn't hitting my 5-6 iron very well anyway so I said #%#%$ IT and lets give it a go.

Using Dan's model we got into a set with shorter lengths between clubs and that constant same TLT athletic set-up at address every time. My 5 iron became a whole inch shorter and my wedges became longer. Weights and lie angles were adjusted so everything fit nicely into the TLT model. I left my hybrid, wood, and driver alone as I hit them pretty good and I like the distance I get from them

I've posted a picture of my set 5-LW so you can see the heights. The LW was the only one I left alone from the irons and wedges cause it's mainly greenside bunkers and chips for that club.

To cap off the drastic changes I went with oversized grips on everything. I like them, like the feel, and I needed new grips anyway so again... I said @#$@ it and let's make everything totally new!

I had time to get in a little golf before I left so I hit mens league to test everything out. Right away I could tell I liked setting up with the shorter long irons. My first test came on hole #1 and being 170 yards out from the green. I pulled my 6 iron and proceeded to hit the best 6 iron I've struck all year... flew high with a baby fade and stuck the green.

Even with the shorter lengths there was no loss of distance and only an increase in consistency.

The theme followed through the rest of the 9 holes when I left with a 40 that included a lost ball (damn driver) and 2 x 3 putts. In Arizona I was easily 10 strokes less a round compared to my time there two years ago (clubs and lessons helping for sure).

So if you're interested in more consistent golf and you really like your clubs I would highly recommend Dan (Dan's custom golf) for a consultation. I was able to keep my Ping sponsorship intact and really improve my game for a minor investment.

Bag: PING Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Floral
    Driver: TM SIM2 MAX @ 10.5*
    Wood: TM SIM2 MAX @ 15*
    Hybrids: TM SIM2 22*
    Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW
    Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60*
    Putter: SGC WB Northwood
    Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Re: What my TLT set looks like...

how are the swing weights and feel with just standard ping heads?

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor59 View Post
      how are the swing weights and feel with just standard ping heads?
      The swing weight was pretty light to start with (C8) I believe they were but Dan adjusted them to be at the D0 range. The ones that got trimmed the most have a bunch of weight but it's deep in the cavity and can't be seen at address.

Comment

Jeff, do you think you'll still be interested in the Sterlings if they ever come out in LH? This is literally the only thing keeping me from having my G25's retrofitted to TLT.
        Last edited by Left behind; Oct 4, 2016, 10:23 PM.

Comment

what did he use for the weight? lead tape?

Comment

Originally posted by Left behind View Post
            Jeff, do you think you'll still be interested in the Sterlings if they ever come out in LH? This is literally the only thing keeping me from having my G25's retrofitted to TLT.
            I'm still interested in them but so far with the way these are playing I wouldn't be inclined to switch. This TLT fit is kind of like the best of both worlds. Not single length but also not conventional lengths. It's also just a little closer together and set to keep me in the same set-up.

Comment

what did he use for the weight? lead tape?
              Sorry for the flash picture in the dark garage... it's this stuff.

Comment

and did he have to do any grinding on the higher lofted irons due to the head weight? or was the PW at DO and then he worked his way back up your irons from there? Looks like tungsten to me, great spot to hide them in there.

Comment

Another TLT user! I got my clubs (712 AP2's and MD2 Wedges) retrofitted to TLT in August with Dan. I have to be honest I hated the clubs at first but I have grown to really really really like them and now I cannot go back to a regular set, I tried a regular set and it just felt "wrong"and I was back to my old miss with my short irons and wedges...pulling it left of target. I did not notice that big of a difference with long irons for me but everything below an 8 iron I saw a huge increase in accuracy and full shots with my 52 and 56 wedge are so confident that I know I can get them inside of 5 feet almost everytime and I can even hit a full 60 wedge now! The biggest adjustment for me was that my swingweights really went up, Dan said they are somewhere around a E1 now. Fatigue really played into effect when I first got the clubs but now 2 months later swinging them is effortless and buttery smooth. When I line my clubs up it seems that all my clubs from 60-8 iron are almost the same length so it really adds consistency inside of 150 yards. Ball striking has definitely improved and spin has also, I used to have trouble getting ball stopping spin but since going to dan I hold greens and even spin back, I often spin wedges back a couple feet now!

My tip would be that if you do decide to go with Dan's TLT system, stick with it. It is not an immediate bandage to your golf game, it will take time and work to get the clubs working for you but man...once they do you cannot go back. Looking forward to contacting Dan to build some wedges probably next year because I feel my MD2 wedges are getting pretty worn. For reference, currently a 8.0 handicap, when I when to Dan I was a 9.0, the weeks following the retrofitted clubs I went up to a 9.5, then things started to drop when I got used to them, shooting my best round ever. Now sitting at my best ever, 8.0, and should be dropping lower now too with the next score I enter and a large part of that can be attributed to my new found confidence inside of 150 yards using Dan's TLT clubs, give me a 100 yard shot and a birdie is now a very very realistic outcome.

TL;DR Dan is a genius.
                  "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott

Comment

Originally posted by jburns View Post
                    The swing weight was pretty light to start with (C8) I believe they were but Dan adjusted them to be at the D0 range. .
                    The last 2 sets of Pings I worked on also had similar swingweights , C7 C8 range.
                    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

I think that i can safely summarize from this thread that TLT irons are far superior to the present day "conventional" irons sold in the stores. But if i may ask the quick question: is TLT also that superior to SL irons ?
                      Thanks and cheers ?

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                      The last 2 sets of Pings I worked on also had similar swingweights , C7 C8 range.
                      is that before your work or the result of?
                      thanks.

Comment

and did he have to do any grinding on the higher lofted irons due to the head weight? or was the PW at DO and then he worked his way back up your irons from there? Looks like tungsten to me, great spot to hide them in there.
                        Nothing was removed at all. Not sure what the weighting is but they all feel great. I may go and have the 58 done as well because I like the 54 longer. I've started hitting a few thin shots with the 58 and I think it's because I'm adjusting to the longer wedges.

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
                          I think that i can safely summarize from this thread that TLT irons are far superior to the present day "conventional" irons sold in the stores. But if i may ask the quick question: is TLT also that superior to SL irons ?
                          Thanks and cheers ?

thanks.
                          I think that's just their stock weight from Ping. Lighter head weights... faster swing speed... more distance.

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post

thanks.
                            That's they way they were before.

My personal set of Pings are all closer to D0
                            "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Awesome Jeff!

I'll post a pic of my stuff later today. I used a set built by Dan 2 years ago....then retrofitted my own set of I25s this year.
                              Titleist 915 D2
                              Titleist 915 F
                              Wishon 929 F
                              Wishon 775 Hybrid
                              PING i5 Irons
                              PING Tour S Rustique 52*
                              PING Anser 56*
                              PING Glide ES 60*
                              MannKrafted Rattler XL
                              MannKrafted Midwave
                              SGC 902 Custom

Comment