Collapse

Anyone golf at Varedero Golf club?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone golf at Varedero Golf club?

This is kind of from another post, im heading to cuba mid December and staying at Melia Las Americas,all inclusive with golf with my son, does anyone have any experience with the Varedero Golf Club? Any info would be great!!
    LEFTY
    Driver Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815
    3 Wood Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815
    3 Hybrid Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815
    Irons Callaway RAZR X MB 4-9
    Callaway Mack Daddy 48*50* 54* 60*
    Taylormade Spider Mallet
    Balls Titleist ProV1
    Shoes Footjoy Hyperflex
    BIBLE- BEN HOGANS 5 LESSONS(in bag at all times)

Re: Anyone golf at Varedero Golf club?

Originally posted by Tommyboy View Post
    This is kind of from another post, im heading to cuba mid December and staying at Melia Las Americas,all inclusive with golf with my son, does anyone have any experience with the Varedero Golf Club? Any info would be great!!
    Was just there in October. Course was in great shape, but they were preparing for their annual tourney. The resort itself was Ok, nowhere near as good as the top resorts in the DR or Jamaica, but it did the trick. If your a good negotiator you can get a break on the ridiculous 30cuc per person per round cart fees at the course. Anything specific you'd like to know?

Comment

On my to do list! There have been a number of threads which may be of interest or assistance for Varadero and the golf club there:

http://www.torontogolfnuts.com/showt...light=Varadero

I usually grab a few quidebooks from the library for suggestions on points of interest, such as a day trip to Havana.

Let us know how it went!

_______
      NQRfPT

Comment

I heard it was good. Didn't get a chance to go though, mornings were usually cloudy........ from what I rem :P
        What's in the Bag

-Driver: Ping i15 - 8 degrees. Grafalloy Bi-Matrix shaft, 80 grams.

-Woods: Adams Speedline Fast 12. x-stiff. 3 and 5

-Irons: Ping S57 3-PW. KBS x-stiff shafts

-Wedges: Nike VR Pro 52, Taylormade ATV 60

-Putter: Scotty Circa 62#2

-Balls: ProV1x and Nike 20XI-S

Comment

Originally posted by Left behind View Post
          Was just there in October. Course was in great shape, but they were preparing for their annual tourney. The resort itself was Ok, nowhere near as good as the top resorts in the DR or Jamaica, but it did the trick. If your a good negotiator you can get a break on the ridiculous 30cuc per person per round cart fees at the course. Anything specific you'd like to know?
          Just wondering what layout is like, what it would compare to in the Toronto/ Burlington area, practice range etc?
          LEFTY
          Taylormade Spider Mallet
          Balls Titleist ProV1
          Shoes Footjoy Hyperflex

Comment

I don't remember a range, but it has been a number of years since I played there. Doesn't really compare to courses around here as the ocean is visible on a number of holes. Fun course, greens were slow when I played.

Comment

Just wondering what layout is like, what it would compare to in the Toronto/ Burlington area, practice range etc?
              The range is between the 1st and 10th tee box, It's not included in the green fee. But you can get on for a "tip" to the club attendant. Doesn't really compare to anything I've played in the GTA. It reminds me of myrtle beach a little with the grass type and use of water hazards. Speaking of hazzards. The sand there is full of rocks. some the size of golf balls, some just small enough to gouge your favorite wedge.

Comment

We went on a guys trip 4-5 years ago. One thing we learned quickly if its busy is Tee times don't mean anything. You tip the guy out front of the Club House who is basically the starter $5 and you will be on your way. The course itself we enjoyed. Relatively flat but your away from the cold and playing golf.

Comment

Course is nothing spectacular but there are some great ocean views, and views of Capone's old place which is kind of cool, las americas is the better of the two melia resorts and it's pretty nice--stock up on balls, tees etc cuz they're not cheap if you need to get them there. If I had to compare it to a course I've played in the GTA I'd compare it to Westview? shortish but entertaining enough to play the heck out of for a week, had a great time there with my old man, hope you have a great trip.

Comment

Your definition of shortish and mine must be vastly different. I recall that from the back tees it played over 6,800 yards, and when the wind was blowing, which it often did, some of the holes played very long. Maybe the answer lies in the fact that I don't hit the ball very long.

Originally posted by Beach Comber View Post
                    Course is nothing spectacular but there are some great ocean views, and views of Capone's old place which is kind of cool, las americas is the better of the two melia resorts and it's pretty nice--stock up on balls, tees etc cuz they're not cheap if you need to get them there. If I had to compare it to a course I've played in the GTA I'd compare it to Westview? shortish but entertaining enough to play the heck out of for a week, had a great time there with my old man, hope you have a great trip.
                    This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Just returned from my trip to Cuba. Golfed all 7 days there and I have to say I loved it. The resort was a pleasant surprise as I didn't expect much from mixed reviews of Cuba. Melia Las Americas was fantastic. Food was great, resort was clean, huge and has an amazing layout. The course.....WIND WIND WIND!!!lol...its player friendly forsure, but the wind can kill you quickly. Some great ocean views, a few tough holes to keep you interested, some greens were fuzzy and some were fast, but lets be honest, im not there for consistent greens. It was by far the best golf holiday ive had, 7 days of golf beach drinks and great food for under $1100!!!! I would recommend this to anyone looking for a relaxing holiday right on the beach and right on a golf course!!
                      LEFTY
                      Taylormade Spider Mallet
                      Balls Titleist ProV1
                      Shoes Footjoy Hyperflex

Comment

Bring on the photos please.
                        Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Just returned from my trip to Cuba. Golfed all 7 days there and I have to say I loved it. The resort was a pleasant surprise as I didn't expect much from mixed reviews of Cuba. Melia Las Americas was fantastic. Food was great, resort was clean, huge and has an amazing layout. The course.....WIND WIND WIND!!!lol...its player friendly forsure, but the wind can kill you quickly. Some great ocean views, a few tough holes to keep you interested, some greens were fuzzy and some were fast, but lets be honest, im not there for consistent greens. It was by far the best golf holiday ive had, 7 days of golf beach drinks and great food for under $1100!!!! I would recommend this to anyone looking for a relaxing holiday right on the beach and right on a golf course!!

can i ask where you book the trip from? and how much did you end up paying for the cart for 7 days?

thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by boysom View Post
                            can i ask where you book the trip from? and how much did you end up paying for the cart for 7 days?

thanks!
                            I booked through redtag vacations, I paid 33 pesos for cart,couple days didn't have to tho,just grabbed clubs loaded them on the cart and went along my way. I think I paid 4 times!!
                            LEFTY
                            Taylormade Spider Mallet
                            Balls Titleist ProV1
                            Shoes Footjoy Hyperflex

Comment

Ive tried posting pics, I cant make it happen, any tips?lol
                              LEFTY
                              Taylormade Spider Mallet
                              Balls Titleist ProV1
                              Shoes Footjoy Hyperflex

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X