No announcement yet.
Collapse

My honest Modern Golf Fitting Review...

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My honest Modern Golf Fitting Review...

Guys,

With the thread having calmed down a little I feel that this is the best time for us to chime in.

Some really interesting points have been shared and we welcome that. We like any other company are not perfect, however we do try to be. If we make mistakes we endevour to rectify them in a timely fashion. The OP has very fairly stated that he was not 100% satisfied with the result of his fitting. Our guys are trained to the highest level that i have came across in the industry, engage them about club fitting and club building and you will learn things you have never heard before. We hold our standards exceptionaly high and when we fall below these standards we only have ourselves to blame.

A club fitting at Modern Golf should not be confused with a demo day, it is an opportunity for a trained professional to guide you towards the club/clubs that will help you improve your game, that is our single goal. I would say however that if there is a head or shaft that particularly interests you make that known to your club fitter, i always encourage the golfers i work with not to leave the fitting session with any unanswered questions. If the golfer and the club fitter are completely honest and frank throught the fitting the end result will leave both parties satisfied.

At Modern Golf we always strive to get better, to offer more knowledge, to provide the latest club heads and shafts from around the world. We do all of this so we can offer the golfers in the GTA the best clubfitting experience possible.

MG

Comment

Good to see both sides of the reviews and the way MG has dealt with it. I know MG is a sponsor on this site, is there any special offers for TGN members looking for fitting?

Comment

Hm was interested in getting golf fitting, but I guess I guess it's important to see the service experience.

I 100% support OP. If I do get fit, If I feel something isn't right, or I'm not getting the right experience, I will not speak up. That's because if I'm spending >$500, I believe I have a right to expect 100% from them. If I feel differently, I'll just think that's how they run the business or how the fitting works.

PLUS I'm assuming they'll have my clubs, I don't wanna come wrong way, and piss them off....

Comment

Originally posted by tkko View Post
          I 100% support OP. If I do get fit, If I feel something isn't right, or I'm not getting the right experience, I will not speak up. That's because if I'm spending >$500, I believe I have a right to expect 100% from them. If I feel differently, I'll just think that's how they run the business or how the fitting works.
          Yes, you have the right to expect 100% from them; but if you don't get 100% and don't let them know, how will they know that you weren't 100% satisfied? You don't have to tell the fitter face-to-face if you don't want to, you can call later and speak to their customer service, and they will do anything to make sure that they rectify any complaint or concern you have.

It's the same with any service that you pay for - if you ain't happy, and don't let the service provider know, how do you expect the service provider to improve?

PLUS I'm assuming they'll have my clubs, I don't wanna come wrong way, and piss them off....
          Based on MG's response above and my personal experience, their reputation is way too important for them to mess with your clubs. They would have a lot more to lose on this than the harm they could do to you or your clubs.

In general, if you want to get fitted, go and visit or call the different places that are recommended on these boards, and decide for yourself who you trust to work on your clubs. You may choose to go with any of MG, Ping, The GolfLab, GT, etc. or any of the independent fitters/builders.

But I don't think you should make insinuations about a business that you don't have any personal experience with.
          Last edited by TEn71; Jun 13, 2014, 02:06 PM.

Comment

I 100% support OP. If I do get fit, If I feel something isn't right, or I'm not getting the right experience, I will not speak up.
            This is ridiculous; they are club fitters, not mind readers.

Big thumbs up for MG on how they handled this; of course no business is going to please 100% of their customers all the time, but their customer service in the very rare case when someone isn't totally happy is beyond reproach. I've heard of people who have had issues with their fittings, but I've NEVER heard of someone who has gone back to explain these issues and wasn't totally taken care of.

Comment

Originally posted by TEn71 View Post
              Yes, you have the right to expect 100% from them; but if you don't get 100% and don't let them know, how will they know that you weren't 100% satisfied? You don't have to tell the fitter face-to-face if you don't want to, you can call later and speak to their customer service, and they will do anything to make sure that they rectify any complaint or concern you have.

It's the same with any service that you pay for - if you ain't happy, and don't let the service provider know, how do you expect the service provider to improve?

Based on MG's response above and my personal experience, their reputation is way too important for them to mess with your clubs. They would have a lot more to lose on this than the harm they could do to you or your clubs.

In general, if you want to get fitted, go and visit or call the different places that are recommended on these boards, and decide for yourself who you trust to work on your clubs. You may choose to go with any of MG, Ping, The GolfLab, GT, etc. or any of the independent fitters/builders.

But I don't think you should make insinuations about a business that you don't have any personal experience with.
              The issue is that, as a person who has never been fitted, I wouldn't know if they're not providing 100%. i.e. if they give me only two irons to try and compare, although part of me would think it's weird, the other part of me would think it's the way fitting must be and asking questions just uselessly prolongs the process. All I know is at the end of the day, fitting isn't a lesson, so it's extremely hard to define what is a good fitting and what isn't...

Comment

The issue is that, as a person who has never been fitted, I wouldn't know if they're not providing 100%. i.e. if they give me only two irons to try and compare, although part of me would think it's weird, the other part of me would think it's the way fitting must be and asking questions just uselessly prolongs the process. All I know is at the end of the day, fitting isn't a lesson, so it's extremely hard to define what is a good fitting and what isn't...
                There is a number of fitting reviews on this forum where the person who has been fitted is very happy with the fitting. If you search the forum for the above mentioned fitting locations, you should be able to find reviews of good fittings and commonalities of what makes the fittings good.

In my own experience, I would say that a good fitting includes many/most of the below (even probably forgetting something):
                1. Analysis of your current equipment for benchmarking
                2. Asks about your golf game, your strengths and weaknesses, and where you would like to see improvements (length, ball flight, dispersion, etc.)
                3. Asks about your budget
                4. Lets you hit your existing clubs and analyses your setup, swing, etc.
                5. Based on 2, 3 & 4 proposes a set of club heads and shafts that you hit, and narrows it down to the best combination for you
                6. Has the ability to adjust lie/loft during the fitting to find the optimal adjustments for you
                7. Asks & lets you hit other club(s) that you would like to try (without it becoming a demo day)
                8. You receive detailed specification + quote for new clubs (or heads/shafts) that they & you think can improve your game - but it is up to you to order them or not
                9. You receive suggestions for alternative options if the above is outside your budget
                10. Bonus: You have learnt something new about your swing during the fitting process
                11. Bonus: They suggest a ball/ball type you should play based upon your swing characteristics.
                This is "just" the fitting process; an accurate build based on the detailed specifications is as important as the fitting process.

Comment

Originally posted by mcarrejola View Post
                  I have to agree with this. It is a business...they should not tell someone you are'nt good enough to be fit, we can't help you, etc. In the end no one is twisting anyone's arm to go for a fitting.

All that being said, the fitter should allow the person spending $450 every opportunity to get their money's worth. If you aren't satisfied after a $450 fitting, you should be allowed to publicly voice the reasons why. People here come on the forums and consistently rip on GT's prices and service...sponsor or not..i don't see why MG should be any different.
                  We all know you don't like the place. Many people have had great experiences there. My Son just spent 90 mins hitting drivers only to find that he still had (from a previous MG fitting) the best combination. They have turned lots of people away after a fitting without new clubs as their current equipment was best for them. I think thats admirable. I have never had anything short of fantastic experiences there and have sent probably 20 people there that have agreed with me.
                  OP, if you really knew your stuff you would know that "made for" shafts are very different from those of a custom fitter. You are also getting a hand built club and as you must know , the small details will benefit the better player (like you) more than the higher hdcp. When they call/email just tell them you were'nt thrilled and would like to try some more clubs/putters. I'm sure they would be more than happy to have you back. They are amazing.
                  Last edited by Lob wedge; Jun 17, 2014, 02:42 PM.

Comment

There is a number of fitting reviews on this forum where the person who has been fitted is very happy with the fitting. If you search the forum for the above mentioned fitting locations, you should be able to find reviews of good fittings and commonalities of what makes the fittings good.

In my own experience, I would say that a good fitting includes many/most of the below (even probably forgetting something):
                    2. Asks about your golf game, your strengths and weaknesses, and where you would like to see improvements (length, ball flight, dispersion, etc.)
                    5. Based on 2, 3 & 4 proposes a set of club heads and shafts that you hit, and narrows it down to the best combination for you
                    6. Has the ability to adjust lie/loft during the fitting to find the optimal adjustments for you
                    7. Asks & lets you hit other club(s) that you would like to try (without it becoming a demo day)
                    8. You receive detailed specification + quote for new clubs (or heads/shafts) that they & you think can improve your game - but it is up to you to order them or not
                    9. You receive suggestions for alternative options if the above is outside your budget
                    10. Bonus: You have learned something new about your swing during the fitting process
                    11. Bonus: They suggest a ball/ball type you should play based upon your swing characteristics.

This is "just" the fitting process; an accurate build based on the detailed specifications is as important as the fitting process.

good summation of the process and its potential to assist you in realizing the best fit for you.
                    things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

• Re: My honest Modern Golf Fitting Review...

Originally posted by Lob wedge View Post
                      We all know you don't like the place. Many people have had great experiences there. My Son just spent 90 mins hitting drivers only to find that he still had (from a previous MG fitting) the best combination. They have turned lots of people away after a fitting without new clubs as their current equipment was best for them. I think thats admirable. I have never had anything short of fantastic experiences there and have sent probably 20 people there that have agreed with me.
                      OP, if you really knew your stuff you would know that "made for" shafts are very different from those of a custom fitter. You are also getting a hand built club and as you must know , the small details will benefit the better player (like you) more than the higher hdcp. When they call/email just tell them you were'nt thrilled and would like to try some more clubs/putters. I'm sure they would be more than happy to have you back. They are amazing.

I believe I do know my stuff and I know that Taylormade upgraded shafts are the real deal with their own paint job. If I really wanted to get the build by Modern and get it pure'd it would cost me $65. I would still be saving approximately $400 and have the quality build and same shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer9 View Post
                        I believe I do know my stuff and I know that Taylormade upgraded shafts are the real deal with their own paint job. If I really wanted to get the build by Modern and get it pure'd it would cost me $65. I would still be saving approximately $400 and have the quality build and same shaft.
                        Did you go back? Let us know if and when you do.

Comment

10. Bonus: You have learnt something new about your swing during the fitting process

Great list, I would add 2 comments:

12. Budget (Upsell): Make a recommendation on would another $200 would provide the golfer by way of performance - usually driver or putter.
                          I learned this years ago, from a high school teacher. He asked the question. He said you have met my budget, now recommend an upgrade worth $200, so I said your driver. First game out he was behind us playing, and by the time we reached the 6th hole he had already hit a personal best long drive.

From our experience, the specifications (tolerance) of the club build is super critical, more so than the actual club fitting. It's what I call the 'Delta Variance' You can still score if the fitting is slightly off, but clubs out-of-spec build to low quality levels is better gamed in the garden to be used as tomato stakes

Few truly understand the above. The build is not sexy as they are not involved with it. The golfer is swayed by technical fitting gizmos, and many acquire a new set without ever knowing the build #'s of each club.
                          Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
                          Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
                          Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Originally posted by P25 View Post
                            Did you go back? Let us know if and when you do.

I haven't yet, but will definitely post about my experience after 100%.

Comment

Story hit the head on the pretty girl at the front desk. Wall of shafts, techs behind the glass. I went for a putter fitting. My 2 Scotty's weren't working so bit the bullet and got fitted. Great experience, tried 6 different putters. No Cameron's though. Took an hour on the track master, great detail and precision. All said, putter fitting was $100, bought a custom fitted Taylor made centre shafted putter, $300. I would say do your homework. As for the putter, it is in the basement. Found a scotty that works for me. Go with gut, all technology and wow factor doesn't add up to much!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Golfz2fast View Post
                                Story hit the head on the pretty girl at the front desk. Wall of shafts, techs behind the glass. I went for a putter fitting. My 2 Scotty's weren't working so bit the bullet and got fitted. Great experience, tried 6 different putters. No Cameron's though. Took an hour on the track master, great detail and precision. All said, putter fitting was $100, bought a custom fitted Taylor made center shafted putter, $300. I would say do your homework. As for the putter, it is in the basement. Found a scotty that works for me. Go with gut, all technology and wow factor doesn't add up to much!!!
                                some player can't be helped, that is not meant as a slight but an honest fact.
                                the fact is that you got great service and had no complaints about how you were fitted for the TM putter.

the other fact is you wasted time and money on the first 2 Cameron and went and bought another solely on gut.
                                Perhaps knowing a bit more about your stroke as a result of the fitting allowed you to make a better buying choice?

considering how much money you spent on 3 SC, the price of the fitting was a bargoon.
                                things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X