Collapse

Left(forward) hand low putting

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Left(forward) hand low putting

Did it a few years back and a bit last year and some over the winter - found line to be better but found distance control to be very sporadic.

Titleist Bags
    Ping G15 Driver 10.5
    Ping G25 3 Wood 15
    Ping G25 Hybrid 20
    Ping G25 Hybrid 23
    Ping I25 4-PW Steel
    Titleist SM4 50/54/58 Degree
    Scotty Cameron Tel3 OR
    Ping Anser (Original)
    Bushnell Z6

Comment

Originally posted by tasker View Post
      Did it a few years back and a bit last year and some over the winter - found line to be better but found distance control to be very sporadic.
      Here's my opinion on this issue.
      Most golfers are at least to some degree athletic. By that, I mean they've probably played some sort of sport in their youth or early adulthood prior to taking up golf. A big part of that athleticism is to be able to instinctively judge things like force, distance and timing.
      Just about everyone has an innate ability to judge distance without any outside influence or conscious thought. If you were in the yard with your kid, do you have to consciously think how much effort it takes to throw him/her a ball? If you were shooting baskets, do you have to consciously think about how much force is needed to reach the basket? Do you think Stephen Curry needs a calculator to be able to shoot 3-pointers?
      This is the best thought process that I was given when I first picked up the game. Your mind already knows subconsciously how much "effort" needs to be expended to roll a ball underhanded to reach the hole. If you don't get in the way, you'll get it very close with an underhanded roll almost every time. The more you practice this underhanded roll, the better you'll get. And it makes no difference if you 3' or 30' away from the hole, your body already knows how much effort needs to be expended.
      Now I know that I'm retired as an instructor so my opinion probably doesn't mean much to some members here, but that thought process worked wonders for a lot of my past students who were having all sorts of problems with distance control. Yes, they used the non-dominant hand low technique as well with varying results.
      All I'm saying is that if you're having problems with distance control, there are all sorts of different techniques and exercises that one can use. But don't give up on your own subconscious mind to resolve the problem all by itself if you just allow it to function. Clear your thoughts with the putter in your hand and just allow yourself to get it done.
      U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

Maybe rolled 10 putts over the years LHL, don't like the feeling.

Comment

Had left hand low for a couple of years. Helped me with short putts ; lost a lot of feel and eventually lag putting became a real problem. My Best putting has been with a traditional grip overall.

Comment

Totally agree - the only question/comment is the innate ability you mention is usually referenced for the "normal" patterns. For example, kids are great as you mention until you get them to use their "other" hand. Then the innate ability tends to get away. That's what it feels like for me with left hand low. no doubt if it had been my initial way of learning, I probably woudl be better with it since it then would be my "normal".

You make a good point that we all should heed in general. The earlier we start with the right "normal", the easier it is to learn and progress - we can let that innate ability shine through. My lessons in golf have always been about addressing the same issues over and over again - because I invested too much casual time in self learning, I find it extremely difficult to overcome those habits. Same thing with left hand low - takes enormous commitment to overcome a long time invested in different methods.

Originally posted by goshawk View Post
            Most golfers are at least to some degree athletic. By that, I mean they've probably played some sort of sport in their youth or early adulthood prior to taking up golf. A big part of that athleticism is to be able to instinctively judge things like force, distance and timing.
            Just about everyone has an innate ability to judge distance without any outside influence or conscious thought. If you were in the yard with your kid, do you have to consciously think how much effort it takes to throw him/her a ball? If you were shooting baskets, do you have to consciously think about how much force is needed to reach the basket? Do you think Stephen Curry needs a calculator to be able to shoot 3-pointers?
            This is the best thought process that I was given when I first picked up the game. Your mind already knows subconsciously how much "effort" needs to be expended to roll a ball underhanded to reach the hole. If you don't get in the way, you'll get it very close with an underhanded roll almost every time. The more you practice this underhanded roll, the better you'll get. And it makes no difference if you 3' or 30' away from the hole, your body already knows how much effort needs to be expended.
            Now I know that I'm retired as an instructor so my opinion probably doesn't mean much to some members here, but that thought process worked wonders for a lot of my past students who were having all sorts of problems with distance control. Yes, they used the non-dominant hand low technique as well with varying results.
            All I'm saying is that if you're having problems with distance control, there are all sorts of different techniques and exercises that one can use. But don't give up on your own subconscious mind to resolve the problem all by itself if you just allow it to function. Clear your thoughts with the putter in your hand and just allow yourself to get it done.

Titleist Bags
            Ping G15 Driver 10.5
            Ping G25 3 Wood 15
            Ping G25 Hybrid 20
            Ping G25 Hybrid 23
            Ping I25 4-PW Steel
            Scotty Cameron Tel3 OR
            Ping Anser (Original)
            Bushnell Z6

Comment

Originally posted by tasker View Post
              Totally agree - the only question/comment is the innate ability you mention is usually referenced for the "normal" patterns. For example, kids are great as you mention until you get them to use their "other" hand. Then the innate ability tends to get away. That's what it feels like for me with left hand low. no doubt if it had been my initial way of learning, I probably woudl be better with it since it then would be my "normal".

You make a good point that we all should heed in general. The earlier we start with the right "normal", the easier it is to learn and progress - we can let that innate ability shine through. My lessons in golf have always been about addressing the same issues over and over again - because I invested too much casual time in self learning, I find it extremely difficult to overcome those habits. Same thing with left hand low - takes enormous commitment to overcome a long time invested in different methods.
              I feel your frustration. For a right-handed golfer, putting left-hand-low is somewhat un-natural because the right hand has always been dominant and the controller. Switching hands is pretty close to switching sides and putting from the opposite side. It's going to feel so weird and your conscious mind is going to rebel against it.
              U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

I feel your frustration. For a right-handed golfer, putting left-hand-low is somewhat un-natural because the right hand has always been dominant and the controller. Switching hands is pretty close to switching sides and putting from the opposite side. It's going to feel so weird and your conscious mind is going to rebel against it.
                Tried that as well - and it was VERY weird. Still have a lefty PING Anser hanging around, just in case :-)

Titleist Bags
                Ping G15 Driver 10.5
                Ping G25 3 Wood 15
                Ping G25 Hybrid 20
                Ping G25 Hybrid 23
                Ping I25 4-PW Steel
                Scotty Cameron Tel3 OR
                Ping Anser (Original)
                Bushnell Z6

Comment

Interesting. Every so often, when distance control goes way out of whack, I go to a practice putting green and roll some balls underhanded to try and hone into getting that instinctive feeling back.

I do this with my right hand, as I play right, but I putt left handed, with a traditional grip. Still when I pick up the putter, I am able to visualise the motion of rolling a ball and transferring that into a natural feel putting stroke.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post
                    Interesting. Every so often, when distance control goes way out of whack, I go to a practice putting green and roll some balls underhanded to try and hone into getting that instinctive feeling back.

I do this with my right hand, as I play right, but I putt left handed, with a traditional grip. Still when I pick up the putter, I am able to visualise the motion of rolling a ball and transferring that into a natural feel putting stroke.
                    Those freakin' twin blobs between the ears are amazing, eh?
                    U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

I tried it off and on for many years, then about 3 years ago I had an absolutely brutal season putting; trouble with pushes and pulls and distance control. I switched to cross-handed in the fall and spent the whole off-season practicing with different grips until I found one that worked and I have been using it consistently since. My putting is much better now.

Play games when you practice. Try to putt a ball 8 feet, the next one 7 feet, the next one 6 feet, etc, to get your distance control. Stick with it!
                      Cobra Cart Bag
                      Cobra F8+ Aldila NV Green
                      Cobra F7 3w 5w 7w
                      Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5i-GW
                      Callaway MD3 54-S,58-C
                      Odyssey White Hot Rx #7

Comment

Those freakin' twin blobs between the ears are amazing, eh?
                        No kidding! I am a geographer and should have a better sense of direction, but I must have some dyslexia issues. I routinely get east and west directions reversed no matter how consciously I focus on this. (I am OK with north and south).

Once someone on Yonge Street north of the 401 asked for directions to Kingston. I confidently instructed them to go south to the 401 and go east by turning right onto the highway, only realizing later I sent them to Kitchener instead.

Another time I was leading a touring group of Miatas coming north out of the Finger Lakes area, looking to go west to Buffalo, but instead, despite reading clearly written road signs, I lead our group onto the ramp east to Boston. (was never asked again to lead).

Must be some kind of wiring issue

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post
                          Is anyone going to try it or is using it? I've been practicing indoors, I'm curious how distance control will be. Honestly it couldn't get much worse.
                          I moved to it about 2 years ago now and also went to a straight back and through putting path instead of the arc. Don't pull putts as much anymore, but do tend to push a few more. Distance control on long putts was an issue at first, but now not an issue.

Honestly, not sure I could go back to a traditional grip anymore, feels very strange now.

Comment

Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post
                            No kidding! I am a geographer and should have a better sense of direction, but I must have some dyslexia issues. I routinely get east and west directions reversed no matter how consciously I focus on this. (I am OK with north and south).

Once someone on Yonge Street north of the 401 asked for directions to Kingston. I confidently instructed them to go south to the 401 and go east by turning right onto the highway, only realizing later I sent them to Kitchener instead.

Another time I was leading a touring group of Miatas coming north out of the Finger Lakes area, looking to go west to Buffalo, but instead, despite reading clearly written road signs, I lead our group onto the ramp east to Boston. (was never asked again to lead).

Must be some kind of wiring issue

glad I'm not alone in this . Somehow, somewhere my East got wired into Left, and West into Right. I have to make a conscious effort in a Mall.

that said,putting lead side low is a no-go for me.
                            things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Been practising Left Hand low with a counterbalanced putter indoors and feels great.

I have used this stroke while playing golf in the past and its gotten me good results. However, the tinkerer in me keeps reverting back to conventional

Comment

Originally posted by golfunderpar18 View Post
                                I've been doing this for 20 years.
                                Same here... although I went back to conventional a couple years ago..... needless to say watching Jordan role every putt in has brought me back to left hand low and it feels so much better... especially inside 15 feet.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X