Collapse

The "OFFICIAL" 2014 Ryder Cup thread

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The "OFFICIAL" 2014 Ryder Cup thread

Just to clarify, because I don't have a OGF account and can't post there, the change in handicapping has NOTHING to do with players not having or wanting to get an RCGA handicap, it is based on the fact that both captains agree that giving up 5, 6, 7, 8+ strokes in a match is not the way to go, so for THIS year we are going to try the flighting system. If it goes the way the Ottawa guys are claiming it will and it disadvantages Ottawa then it will be scraped after this year. Both sides captains do not think it will disadvantage Ottawa, but will more so let the golfing dictate the results, time will tell.
    BIG MOY GOLF...POWERED BY SNICKERS
    Member Century Club...Osprey Valley May 20, 2010...108 holes
    There is no next year...signed Leaf fan

Comment

Originally posted by golfingoalie View Post
      Just to clarify, because I don't have a OGF account and can't post there, the change in handicapping has NOTHING to do with players not having or wanting to get an RCGA handicap, it is based on the fact that both captains agree that giving up 5, 6, 7, 8+ strokes in a match is not the way to go, so for THIS year we are going to try the flighting system. If it goes the way the Ottawa guys are claiming it will and it disadvantages Ottawa then it will be scraped after this year. Both sides captains do not think it will disadvantage Ottawa, but will more so let the golfing dictate the results, time will tell.

Running an event like this is never easy!

Comment

Originally posted by P25 View Post

Running an event like this is never easy!
        well said, whatever decision is made I will support.......Gerry and Dave, got your backs!
        MEMBER OF THE 2008/2011/2014/2016TGN/OGF RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by Albatross View Post
          well said, whatever decision is made I will support.......Gerry and Dave, got your backs!
          +1...
          Epic 10.5 - Elements
          Epic 3 wood - Elements
          Mizuno JPX900 -22* Veylix Rome 988X
          King MB - Recoil Prototype
          Fourteen - 52/56/60PM -Recoil Prototype
          Lamb Allendale
          https://www.instagram.com/makerofputts/

Comment

Originally posted by golfingoalie View Post

Unfortunately, giving up strokes is part of playing a handicapped event. Sometimes you have to give up lots of strokes. I once had to give up 5 strokes in a match, shot +2 and lost 2&1. Guy had a career round. Did I question his index? No, I congratulated him o. his best round ever. I played my best, as did he. And from all my previous experiences in Belleville, all matches were close regardless of strokes, the system works. And on a side note, in my three years as captain I never once had a player approach questioning his opponent's index no matter how badly beaten or how many strokes he had to give up.

That being said, if OG can somehow manage to grab a decent lead on Sat we might have a chance. I'm pretty confident, without even knowing the teams, the singles will be rather lopsided in favour of TGN. One of our confirmed players is an 18. I can't recall TGN having anybody higher than 14/15. If I'm wrong, I apologize.

I'd like to know if anyone on TGN is confident this method will work and result in a competitive event, I'd be willing to make a small wager. Believe me, I'd like nothing more than to have OG pull it out so the excuses can stop, but I just don't see the singles playing out that way.
            Callaway X Hot Pro 8.5* w/ MCS X flex
            Callaway X2 Hot Pro 14.5* 3 Deep w/ Aldila Tour Green S flex
            Callaway X Hot 18* and 23* w/ PX 6.0
            Callaway Tour Authentic X-Prototype 5-PW w/ PX 5.5
            Callaway Jaws X Series 52/56/60 w/ stock uniflex
            Heavy Putter K3 w/ Superstroke Flatso Mid

Comment

Leftygolfer30 is an 18, they capped it at 15.. I believe they always have...

As for a wager... How about $30.. Or a GAO membership... Oh Oh wait....
              Epic 10.5 - Elements
              Epic 3 wood - Elements
              Lamb Allendale

Comment

Originally posted by pix40 View Post
                Leftygolfer30 is an 18, they capped it at 15.. I believe they always have...

As for a wager... How about $30.. Or a GAO membership... Oh Oh wait....

Oh another GAO shot...give it up already. You guys lost out on that one.
                and as I said, I stand corrected on the over 15 handicap remark.

Your whole "transparency" reasoning is a farce. You are a golfer, your are supposed to have integrity. If you don't trust your opponent's handicap, then don't play. Questioning my opponent's cap in this event has never crossed my mind and I have a losing record in it.
                Callaway X Hot Pro 8.5* w/ MCS X flex
                Callaway X2 Hot Pro 14.5* 3 Deep w/ Aldila Tour Green S flex
                Callaway X Hot 18* and 23* w/ PX 6.0
                Callaway Tour Authentic X-Prototype 5-PW w/ PX 5.5
                Callaway Jaws X Series 52/56/60 w/ stock uniflex
                Heavy Putter K3 w/ Superstroke Flatso Mid

Comment

Originally posted by Big Johnny69 View Post

Your whole "transparency" reasoning is a farce. You are a golfer, your are supposed to have integrity. If you don't trust your opponent's handicap, then don't play. Questioning my opponent's cap in this event has never crossed my mind and I have a losing record in it.
                  Geoff,
                  You're bang on with this part. "You are a golfer, your are supposed to have integrity." Not so much with this one. "If you don't trust your opponent's handicap, then don't play." When I come to play and I expect the person I'm playing against is playing with the same integrity that I am.

You know I questioned a players cap (not yours). I mentioned it to you on the first tee a couple of years ago. Your response was, something along the lines of I don't know some of these people.

You guys have had issues mounting a team over the last several years. I understand the need to recruit players. That recruitment needs the same integrity.

What I don't understand, and this is not directed at you but in general, is if this is a friendly match, and a rules of competition system is put in place, why there is resistance against it.

Someone mentioned this issue stems from 1 incident (with a "get over it"). If someone puts crap in my sandwich once, and I'm checking between my bread from now on. It took 1 incident (and really more than one have been questioned) to leave a foul taste.
                  In The Ogio
                  Driver - Titleist 910 w/Diamana 'ilima
                  Fairway Woods - Titleist 980F 3 & 5 w/Speeder
                  Hybrids - Titleist 910 H w/Diamana Kal'li
                  Irons - Wilson FG Tour V2 w/KBS Tours
                  Wedges - Wilson FG Tours w/TT DG SPinners
                  Putter - Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum
                  MEMBER OF THE 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2018 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

We now know that the handicaps will be discounted in the singles events. How is this new approach going to work in the two person team event, where players from different flights have historically played together? In the past, the handicap difference between the two teams were discounted in the alternating shot format. How much more discounting is going to occur now?
                    This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Johnny69 View Post

oddly enough My post had nothing to do with Handicaps or the history of the event or even integrity .... it was a plain ol' fashion 'cheap' shot....

see you in bellevegas..

Originally posted by mpare View Post
                      We now know that the handicaps will be discounted in the singles events. How is this new approach going to work in the two person team event, where players from different flights have historically played together? In the past, the handicap difference between the two teams were discounted in the alternating shot format. How much more discounting is going to occur now?

unfortunately mike I think everything is decided... we're just beating a dead horse now.. (from what I read on both forums)
                      Epic 10.5 - Elements
                      Epic 3 wood - Elements
                      Lamb Allendale

Comment

I'm not trying to raise Lazarus from the dead. I just want to know what will be taking place in the alternating shot format. An example would clear that up. At the moment, I have no idea how it will work.

Originally posted by pix40 View Post

unfortunately mike I think everything is decided... we're just beating a dead horse now.. (from what I read on both forums)
                        This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

I'm not trying to raise Lazarus from the dead. I just want to know what will be taking place in the alternating shot format. An example would clear that up. At the moment, I have no idea how it will work.
                          I I see your point.. I didn't know how. It worked in the first place.. Just went and played. Lol
                          Epic 10.5 - Elements
                          Epic 3 wood - Elements
                          Lamb Allendale

Comment

Mike if an A and B flight are playing a B and B flight the 2 B team will get 1 stroke, if a B & C are playing 2 C's the 2C's get 1 stroke etc., it would be our hope that we can match up as many team matches as we can evenly so again the golfing itself will dictate the result.

Comment

O.K. so in conversation with Rich we are going to ask on both Boards that you accept that the handicap decision for this year has been made and that we stop the mudslinging, debating, questioning the decision.

If an individual can't accept or get over the decision we respectfully ask that you don't participate in the event. I really hope it does not come to this for anybody but doing this will show more class than signing up and complaining about it continually.

Thanks.

Comment

And I thought the Leafs Habs threads were brutal.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X