Collapse

Rate the proshop

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rate the proshop

You know, once you go in and pay, and get onto the first tee, the experience you just had in the proshop probably doesn't matter. But, I'm seeing a trend in the GTA. A "we really don't give a sh*t if you play here or not kind of attitude". I'm not saying proshops are rude and nasty (well, some are), but there just doesn't seem to be a welcoming attitude that you’re the reason they have a business (or a job).

Guelph Lakes was the complete opposite. The proshop was genuinely happy to have us there and the starter chatted us up too, but at another course (gonna keep them nameless), I got the door shut in my face. Literally....

Was first one there at 6:15 and as I’m getting the crap out of my trunk, I saw the staffer zoom in, obviously late. I took my time so as to give him time and not ride his azz. Was about 15 paces behind as he unlocks the door (no good morning, no nothing), he goes in, looks me in the eye and then locks the door from inside, preventing me from coming in. Wow.

I'm sure most will agree that worst proshops in the west end are at Burlington Springs and Lionhead (hand-down). And the best are probably Crosswinds and Copetown Woods. Not sure it all matters, but I think it helps with the over all experience and your likelihood of returning. Yes, no?
    – Greg

Re: Rate the proshop

What time was your tee time at? Public of course as I'm not to sure any private would be open that early. Personally, if I don't get my time to get in gear to start the day and make sure everything is in order, I hate when people show up.

We open an hour before the first tee time to let this happen, but if a member comes up at 6:30 am wanting to hit balls, they aren't greeted as well as if they came an hour later...

I can be a knob at work at times, but am quite good at my job, and members actually like that I don't kiss their behinds all the time and am straight with them.

Comment

Love the people at Crosswinds. I have not yet met anyone that is rude at Crosswinds.

Played a round of golf with a few ground crew members and they were hilarious and giving the starter/marshal the gears.
      Difference between Regular, Stiff, X-Stiff is the amount of alcohol content. Enjoy responsibly.

Mizuno SWING DNA Speed [85] Tempo [4] ToeDown [4] KickAngle [4] Release [8]

Comment

My top of the list experiences would be Copetown Woods, Crosswinds and Piper's Heath.

Personal bottom of the list would be Burlington Springs, but I will still play there!
        Still getting the hang of this game!

In the Ogio Atlas for riding or Ogio Vaporlite for carrying:

Ping G2 with HOT PINK Grafalloy Bimatrix
        Srixon W-403 AD 5 wood
        Nike 23 degree hybrid
        Ping eye2+ irons 5-PW
        Cleveland CG14 Gunmetal 52, 56
        Bronze Ping Anser 3 with Tigershark grip

Comment

Ran a shop for a few years. We always tried to say hello to everyone who walked through. Paying for golf is the worst part of the day and it was our job in the shop to make it quick and painless. Sure, people get rubbed the wrong way, but making small talk and even little things like getting the scorecard ready for them or instead of handing them a cart key we would walk out with them and do a visual check of the cart for them.

I find too many places wait for you to engage them at the counter.... they should be welcoming you into their home. After all, you're dropping a months worth of allowance to play!
          What's in my bag?

Driver: Titleist 910- ProforceV2
          Irons: Titleist CB
          Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled - 50, 54, 58
          Putter: Scotty

~ 90% of putts left short of the hole won't go in ~

Comment

life is a twoway street..if the customer is rude and abrasive,his welcome
            will not be warm and fuzzy..there is a time to 'fire' the customer

Comment

Proshop and staff at King's Riding are the best I've encountered at Clublink to date.

Comment

It's been my experience --- tho granted, I noticed it more in my late 20s and 30s and not so much anymore --- that a lot of young pro shop guys think they are pretty important and have some sort of status because they work at a golf course.

I'm assuming many were good at golf and were kind of cocky --- and this didn't translate into good customer service.

The best story I have is from when I used to work part time at Grandview (the resort) in their astronomy dept.

I signed up to play in the staff tournament --- held across the road at the O'Meara course.

On the day of the tournament I showed up and went to check in. Not on the list I was told. Inquiring as to what can be done as I had definitely signed up --- I was bluntly told nothing.

The guy was a complete **** --- rude, dismissive and could barely be bothered to speak to me.

I reminded the guy that we were both _ staff_ and left. I drove across the road, told the HR woman that somehow I had been left off the list (she apologized and assumed it was her fault as she was the organizer). She was going to slot me in but I declined and related the story of the idiot fellow staff person to her and how I now had no desire to play in the tournament.

Oddly enough, the next summer while playing a round, a golf pro shop guy caught up with me and I let him join me. I told him my story --- ends up it was him. He was rather uncomfortable. Lol.

Another time I got a hole in one @ O'Meara. After the round I inquired at the pro shop if the gave a plaque or trophy for it.

Pro shop guy: "Are you a member?"

Me: "No I'm not a member --- you _know_ that!" (Said somewhat sarcastically)

Pro shop guy: "We only do that for members."

I gave the guy a wtf look and walked away. Just tell me you don't so it for staff --- don't look down your nose at me because I'm not a member or course employee and just a peon resort employee.

Comment

Pro shop staff at the Country Club was the worse in my experience. I was a member there for one year and every time I checked in, the staff were rude and talked down to us. This was the year CL took over and I suppose there was some resentment but unnecessary.
                  These kids need to know the members and guests pay their salary. They are the front line of their organization and it reflects on the organization. It's too bad.
                  Driver -Titleist 913 Diamana D+ 72 x5ct S shaft
                  Metal woods - 13* Titleist 980F Strong 3
                  Hybrid - 19 * and 21*Titleist 585H
                  Irons - Titleist AP2 712 5-PW
                  SW - 56* Titleist Vokey Spin Mill
                  GW - 52* Titleist Vokey Spin Mill
                  Cleveland 588 60* Lob wedge
                  Putter _ Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5
                  Bag- Titleist
                  Ball - Pro-V1x or Bridgestone B330 RX

NOTHING GREAT WAS EVER ACHIEVED WITHOUT ENTHUSIASM

Comment

best pro shop and bag drop- Sandestin resort- tunes rocking and the staff was fantastic!!!
                    " the only shots you can be dead sure of are those you've had already."

WHATS IN THE BAG

Ping I20 9.5 stiff
                    Sonartec 2.5 3/5 woods
                    Mcgregor hybrids 3,4,5
                    Ping i20
                    MacGregor response
                    Snickers tour bag
                    Pro V1

Comment

Originally posted by northernpro View Post
                      clearly/thankfully you are not associated with customers in your place of work

Comment

Originally posted by northernpro View Post
                        Well I've never been rude or abrasive to any golf shop staff prior to a round, yet there have been times I've been made to feel as though I should have been "fired" as a customer.

Sorry, but until such time as the customer becomes rude and abrasive, it's on the staff to be appreciative of the fact that person could have spent their money at another course, or for that matter, doing something entirely different from golf, but instead is spending it at your place of business.

I'm sorry but your post has a little more than a bit of an entitlement mentality. Just because you have a golf course there doesn't mean people will come and put up with whatever.

Comment

Fwiw, I think the staff at Manitou and at The Rock have been fantastic every time I've been there this year.

Granted, whomever looks after the washrooms at The Rock should be fired because the men's has been disgustingly dirty the five or six times I've been there this year whether it has been 8:00 am or 5:00 pm. Haven't been there in a few weeks --- perhaps they've gotten on to this since my last game there when I mentioned it.

Comment

Yesterday after playing 9 at a particular 9 hole course on Taunton rd east of Oshawa we inquired about how much to play another 9 holes. At this time it was 5:55pm and the man in the hit told us no there are no more tee times. We politely told him that there is no one on the first two holes and that we would finish by 7:45 most likely. He said no again and that they don't have tee times that late. At this point we were a little PO'd because 3 days prior we had a tee time at 6:12 with no troubles, and even a group at 6:20 behind us. Anyway that left a sour taste in my mouth and they will not get my business in the future. I can't understand why they wouldn't want our money.

Not really a pro shop experience but similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluefan75 View Post
                              Well I've never been rude or abrasive to any golf shop staff prior to a round, yet there have been times I've been made to feel as though I should have been "fired" as a customer.

Sorry, but until such time as the customer becomes rude and abrasive, it's on the staff to be appreciative of the fact that person could have spent their money at another course, or for that matter, doing something entirely different from golf, but instead is spending it at your place of business.

I'm sorry but your post has a little more than a bit of an entitlement mentality. Just because you have a golf course there doesn't mean people will come and put up with whatever.
                              Isn't your 2nd paragraph exactly what he's saying? Once a customer becomes rude and abrasive, and they do, it can turn into a two way street.

I think northernpro's comment is being read the wrong way. I think that there are times in a pro shop where the staff has no choice but to push back on a rude customer such as:
                              - Those that are late when the tee sheet is full and can't understand why the course shouldn't "fit them in next".
                              - Those that refuse to agree to a single being joined up with them when they booked 4 but only showed up as two.
                              - Those that stand there and argue for a full raincheque because pace of play was "too slow" for them.
                              - Those that got kicked off the course for slow play, intoxication, abuse, etc
                              There are others but I've seen all of these this year as I was standing in line, trying to pay for my green fee. Pro shops aren't big operations, they don't necessarily have a manager that can come out and take the person aside, and with everyone sharing the same queue, both in the pro shop and on the course, at some point you have to get things moving again.

People are welcome to take their business elsewhere and the courses can adjust how they treat customers accordingly.

You can't the customer is always right analogy because it doesn't hold true as soon as you get on the course - you are not entitled to play as slow as you wish, abuse other golfers, etc.

I agree some pro shop people could be nicer, but I also think there are a lot of idiots out there who don't respect the staff or the sport, and sometimes need to be reminded that playing on a particular course is not a right.
                              Ping tour-s 52 and 56, KBS
                              Odyssey #9 or Rife Mr Beasley depending on the day.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X