Lost Courses

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lost Courses

Originally posted by caddishack View Post
    Ironically enough I also lived on the 10th hole of Glen Shields in my first house. We backed onto the open area that has now become the 407. I used to walk my dog through there and you could still see the routing of the holes. My dad belonged to Glen Shields back in the 70's and I caddied for him quite a bit. Loved that course... I eventually got to play it after it went public, just before its demise.

Where I live now (the old Richmond hill country club) when I walk the dog in the wild area behind the Mill Pond you still see the old pavement cart paths and you used to be able to see what was an elevated green. Now it has pretty much all overgrown with trees and brush. I found a ball in there about 13 years ago....I think it was a titelist...pretty brown too

I think Willowdale was pretty bleak course from what I had heard, but I wonder if it was the same course as it is not really in Willowdale
    Willowdale was a good change of pace for us when we were kids because it wasn't along the Wilson bus line and required someone to drive us there until we got our licences. But that also meant it wasn't too busy on weekday mornings in the summer.

My memories
    • lovely cottage like wood framed pro shop with decent stock. Also had sleeves of Star Flite golf balls and big bags of tees for 25 cents
    • First hole hidden green at bottom of hill, you'd have to walk to the path right before it to see where your ball ended up. What a thrill when it was sitting on the green.
    • Some nondescript holes bordering Glen Shields, but the 8th was a beauty par four with narrow green sided by a small creek. Big thrill to hit in two.
    • Number 11 longest par four I played as a kid, even longer than HV 17 at about 445 yards.
    • Greens were usually a bit fuzzier than the municipal courses but all in all, was always nice making the trip and having putting contests until we got picked up again.

Comment

I also lived in the then new subidivision (summer 1980) backing onto what had been Glen Shields. Could track some of the fairways through the park.

Across the street was the Dufferin Drive-In (east side of Dufferin) and going north up Dufferin was a (sort of) ski area called The Honey Pot.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
        I also lived in the then new subidivision (summer 1980) backing onto what had been Glen Shields. Could track some of the fairways through the park.

Across the street was the Dufferin Drive-In (east side of Dufferin) and going north up Dufferin was a (sort of) ski area called The Honey Pot.
        the honey pot is now holes 3457 of eagles nest
        Don't Drink & DRive...Don't Even Putt

Comment

Originally posted by jefflin View Post
          If we're also including driving ranges I remember a couple by their location but do not by their names.

1. East side of Kennedy, just south of Dension. It was run down and the balls chewed up but it was cheap.

2. West side of Midland north of McNicoll. I believe a Rona now occupies the spot.

3. 14th ave between McCowan and Markham Rd. This just closed late last year and I believe a Markham community centre will be opening.

4. In Mississauga on Dundas just east of Dixie road.
          Fortunately for Jason, he and his wife also own a range somewhere in Barrie as well so selling that property was good for them. After the improvements/expansion that he did, it was a shame to see it go. He had plans to put in a "real" putting green (the carpeted concrete pad just didn't cut it), but never got it done.
          U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

If anybody knows more about Cliffside please post. There's an aerial photo of it hanging in Duckworth's Fish N' Chips on Kingston Road and it looks like it must have been epic. All houses and strip malls now.

Comment

Have been to Duckworth's numerous times. Perhaps the best fish and chips in the eastern part of Toronto.

Next time I will have to check the pictures, I never noticed the picture of the course.

Comment

Originally posted by gr8glfr View Post
                There was Woodbine Golf course on Woodbine Ave just north of Steeles. Approximate location is now the business development where Greenfield Golf is located.
                There was an 18 and a 9 there. We played the 9 for about $7.

Comment

Originally posted by beeker View Post
                  Forgot about this one, but I thought it was called Windmills? I remember it as an Executive 18-hole course, which I played a fair bit and a 9-hole regulation course that I never played.
                  The 9 was a full length track. It was very good. My fondest memory was when my playing partner took a leak on the fence that marked south boundary of the course. We discovered that day that it was an electrified cattle fence.

Comment

Originally posted by caddishack View Post
                    There used to be a course called Forest Hills if memory serves at Bathurst and Antibes (north of finch)
                    You are correct. I lived around there between 1965 and 1973. I remember the clubhouse burning down... and them tearing it up for condos.

My first "golf" memory was having a golf ball smash through our living room window.

Comment

Great post.

Has anyone mentioned the Don Mills Golf Centre on Woodbine. It's basically where Greenfield Golf is...

They had a trailer for a "clubhouse" with a bunch of vending machines.

Fun times. Makes me feel old though...

Comment

Originally posted by Bellyhungry View Post
                        There was also a range at St Clair and Midland in Scarborough.
                        I remember this place. I bought a set of Wilson Staff FG-17 blades there in the early 1980s.

Comment

See post 10. I got the name wrong but the location was correct.

Originally posted by drduffer View Post
                          Great post.

Has anyone mentioned the Don Mills Golf Centre on Woodbine. It's basically where Greenfield Golf is...

Comment

Originally posted by drduffer View Post
                            Great post.Has anyone mentioned the Don Mills Golf Centre on Woodbine. It's basically where Greenfield Golf is...
                            Remember it well, was learning the game back then and went there to practice on the range.
                            Also bought my very first set of golf clubs out of that trailer, up till then I only borrowed clubs.
                            They were TNT, by Torkos and Torkos, the Torkos Brothers, out on Curity Ave Scarborough, still there today.
                            Back then I believe these were Canadian made, inexpensive copies of some of the major brands.
                            Worked well for me back then which would have been late 70's, sure does make one feel real old.
                            Last edited by 4underthru9; Sep 16, 2015, 05:43 PM.
                            Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Originally posted by CairnsRock View Post
                              I think you are correct, the Windmills.

Also, the IBM course in Markham was purchased from Nelson Davies who built it for his own private use. Now a the nine hole Markham Greens course. Given to the town of Markham by IBM. Was operated by Angus Glen, but I that may have changed.
                              Got around to playing Markham Green. Refused to for years as the original IBM was one of my favourite tracks. It started with two par 5's and finished with two par 5's and in between had lots of water as it wound through the Rouge Valley. Used to see lots of herons, otters and in the fall the salmon spawning up river. Was always maintained to top standards. Also had a small 9 hole par 3 course. Great practice facilities, baseball diamond, volleyball, lawn bowling, tennis courts, archery (!) and a daycare facility so IBM'ers could drop of their kids while golfing. From my count there are 5 holes left 'as is' from the original course. Angus Glen had the contract to manage Markham Green but the City of Markham has put it up for tender.

Comment

Albion Hills just north of Gleneagle on Hwy 50. Claim to fame at time was island green which can still be seen today from the hywy

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X