Collapse

Scarboro tips

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scarboro tips

Playing in my first GTA Am Tour event at Scarboro this coming Monday. I've read the humble golfer's review/Tour but was hoping to get some insight from TGNers who have played the course before as I don't think I'll have an opportunity to play a practice round (unless some kind soul wants to invite me this weekend! )

I'll be in the B flight which I think is 6100 yards.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Scarboro tips

You can call the Pro Shop and ask if a practice round in the PM is possible, they may allow it because of the GTA AM Tour rolling through.

Comment

Going off my memory. I play from 1 tee back.

1. Straight away par 5. Favour right side on 2nd shot.
      2. Par 3. Below the hole is ideal. Long is not good.
      3. Shortish par 4. Uphill approach.
      4. Sig par 3. 1-2 clubs down.
      5. Long par 4 with trees and stream on left. Favour RC of fwy.
      6. Par 5 that can be reached in 2
      7. Short par 4. Better off taking a mid iron off the tee. Green is small and sloped.
      8. Blind tee shot. Condo in distance is a good line (over right side of fwy). The more you bite off on the right, the easier your next shot will be.
      9. Par 4. Middle-right side of fwy makes for easier approach.
      10. Par 5. 3 shot hole. I like going up the left side here.
      11. Short par 3.
      12. Some layup to the creek. Downhill par 4. I always go for it, leaving 100-120 in.
      13. Blind tee shot. Favour right side.
      14. Downhill par 3. 1 club down.
      15. Short par 4. Leave yourself a full shot in and stay below the hole.
      16. Short par 4. See above unless you feel like going for it.
      17. Dogleg left. Downhill par 4. I usually take hybrid off the tee to get me to the corner.
      18. Par 4 across the road. Fairly open fwy. 2nd shot is back up the hill.

Comment

You'll mostly see where not to miss on most of the holes.. #2 short left is not a bad spot, #3 up the left side off the tee, #4 long left can sometimes come back off the hill but short left is a good miss. #6 is hard to get to in 2, so up the right side, then layup to the left gives you a good look at the green. #7 bites back if you mess around - layup off the tee to the fattest part of the fairway and club up on the approach. #8 striaght up the gut and you can get lucky with a roll down the hill to the 100-150 range in. #10 everything runs right from the tee to the green.
        TM M2 D-type 9.5 Accra CS1 70
        TM Jetspeed tour 19* Accra CS1 80
        TM M2 tour 4-9 Accra ICWT 95
        Callaway X-Forged 48, 52, 58, 64 Pro Modus3 105
        Nike method MC3i

Osprey Valley Century Club
        100 holes - May 2, 2016

Comment

No go on a practice round via pro shop, but thanks for the tips, Paul, Pingnut.

Comment

Greens will be fast and true. In General DO NOT get above the hole or you may find yourself chipping back on

Additional notes in red to P25's

7. Short par 4. Better off taking a mid iron off the tee. Green is small and sloped. Green is narrow and tiered try to be on same tier as green. Resist temptation to try to drive the green.
            8. Blind tee shot. Condo in distance is a good line (over right side of fwy). The more you bite off on the right, the easier your next shot will be. If you get left you can end up in the creek
            11. Short par 3.
            12. Some layup to the creek. Downhill par 4. I always go for it, leaving 100-120 in.
            17. Dogleg left. Downhill par 4. I usually take hybrid off the tee to get me to the corner. Resist temptation to cut corner and try for the green off the tee.
            18. Par 4 across the road. Fairly open fwy. 2nd shot is back up the hill.There is more room to the left than appears from the tee.
            Canada
            Callaway Epic GBB Accra F 260 M3
            Titleist TS2 16.5*
            Taylormade Rescue 22*
            4-PW Callaway Apex CF16 Accra 90i
            52* Clevland RTX 4.0
            56* Cleveland RTX 4.0
            Scotty Circa 62 # 7 35”

Florida
            Cobra F6
            R7 15*
            Nicket Ironwood 3 Hybrid 20*
            Srixon Z565 4-G Project X LZ 5.5
            Vokey 56* 60*
            Pyramid 34 “

Comment

Enjoy - fabulous course. Concur with most points
              Originally posted by Shake99 View Post
              Greens will be fast and true. In General DO NOT get above the hole or you may find yourself chipping back on

Additional notes in red to P25's

7. Short par 4. Better off taking a mid iron off the tee. Green is small and sloped. Green is narrow and tiered try to be on same tier as green. Resist temptation to try to drive the green.
              8. Blind tee shot. Condo in distance is a good line (over right side of fwy). The more you bite off on the right, the easier your next shot will be. If you get left you can end up in the creek
              11. Short par 3.

DONT BE GREEDY ON 16!

17. Dogleg left. Downhill par 4. I usually take hybrid off the tee to get me to the corner. Resist temptation to cut corner and try for the green off the tee.
              18. Par 4 across the road. Fairly open fwy. 2nd shot is back up the hill.There is more room to the left than appears from the tee.

Comment

Normally stay below the hole unless a front pin is the best advice as the greens generally slope back to front and they can get them rolling smooth and fast.

But the weather this week doesn't look good for course prep and it'll likely be softer, slower and shaggier unless we get something a lot warmer and drier than forecast.

Comment

Originally posted by bogey5 View Post
                  Normally stay below the hole unless a front pin is the best advice as the greens generally slope back to front and they can get them rolling smooth and fast.

But the weather this week doesn't look good for course prep and it'll likely be softer, slower and shaggier unless we get something a lot warmer and drier than forecast.
                  I was thinking the same. I'm on the waitlist right now for that event.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSaxemachine View Post
                    No go on a practice round via pro shop, but thanks for the tips, Paul, Pingnut.
                    It's too bad they don't. Its a nice and Very much appreciated gesture of the host course to have practice round access. I'm not a fan of playing an event on a course I've never been to before.

I've only played here a couple of times but the comfortableness I have with this course comes from the 4 rounds I caddied one year at the Canadian PGA Tour finals.

Comment

I agree that their short par 4s should all be played as 2 shot holes. And I'm a risk taker. The risk is not worth it there though. Green sites are very well protected.

Comment

It's a great course and everyone has laid out whatever I would suggest. I'll stress below the hole... and if you tee off early #1 is dead into the sun making it tough to see anything off the tee. Enjoy the round... great course... you'd never realize you're in the middle of Scarborough.
                        Bag: PING Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Floral
                        Driver: TM SIM2 MAX @ 10.5*
                        Wood: TM SIM2 MAX @ 15*
                        Hybrids: Cobra T-Rail 25*
                        Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW
                        Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60*
                        Putter: SGC WB Northwood
                        Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Comment

Originally posted by jburns View Post
                          It's a great course and everyone has laid out whatever I would suggest. I'll stress below the hole... and if you tee off early #1 is dead into the sun making it tough to see anything off the tee. Enjoy the round... great course... you'd never realize you're in the middle of Scarborough.
                          You do once you see the Ontario housing apartments overlooking the course.

Comment

Originally posted by davepratt View Post
                            You do once you see the Ontario housing apartments overlooking the course.
                            I skulled a sand shot once on #10, and hit a cube van parked in those apartments. The ball came back and ended up on the green.

Comment

Originally posted by sauerkraut View Post
                              I skulled a sand shot once on #10, and hit a cube van parked in those apartments. The ball came back and ended up on the green.
                              Ya - only place you really feel it is on 10 green/11 tee. Otherwise, it's an oasis in the area, much like Oakdale is to its neighbourhood.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X