Collapse

THE JOY OF WALKING

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE JOY OF WALKING

During my round in the rain yesterday, I was reminded how much I'm enjoying walking golf courses now vs. riding...

It was actually easier to keep dry under my mounted umbrella on my ClicGear than sitting in a golf cart.

My regular golf buddy and I had somehow got the idea that riding was faster, and when you're mostly a weekend warrior, time was a key consideration...

When we decided (mostly me) to start walking for health sake in the 2016 season, we discovered our rounds were just as fast (or slow).

I discovered other joys as well, walking improved strength and flexibility in my back, legs and 53 year old hips and has helped lose 20lbs...

Another fringe benefit of walking is the ability to walk up to ALL your shots regardless of where your ball as landed - Path restrictions for carts on courses, whether wet or dry conditions is a pain, inevitably forcing you to take multiple clubs from your bag at times (somehow not taking the actual club you needed) is a factor I REALLY appreciate now with walking.

Although some courses can be a physical challenge to walk - Rebel Creek in my area is one of them (ouch), the benefits far outweigh the negatives...

So why aren't you walking? Any other recent converts??

- Ian
    TM Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
    TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
    TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
    TM Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
    TM My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters
    * (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride TM Pistol
    TM My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
    TM Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red)
    TM TP5 Golf Ball
    Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
    SkyCaddie SX550 GPS
    Bushnell ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

Re: THE JOY OF WALKING

Walking is the only way to go IMO. Walk over 130 rounds on average per year. I've got an Electrocaddy with remote and love it. Walking lets you truly enjoy the course.

Comment

I allways walked,when I became a member it was so cheap to ride I couldn't refuse.

Comment

Always been a walker and fully agree on all your points. My men's league started pushing everyone to carts last year, but I'm one of the few holdouts that still walk every round.

Comment

Despite bad OA in both big toes which makes walking painful, I enjoy and walk each week at my home course ( St Andrews Valley) but am usually hurting by about 13/14.
          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

I always walk when a course allows it. You'd be surprised how many golf balls you find just sitting in the first cut of rough just past the tee boxes that were "too far" for the 'riders' to walk over and pick up

Comment

Love walking too. Only time I ride is at Osprey when I play at least 3 rounds. Started today at 5:20pm at Royal Ashburn and finished at 8:15, played through 4 groups and enjoyed every step and the nice evening sun.
              WITB-Titleist Lightweight Stand Bag
              Driver-Titleist 910-12°
              FW-910-18°
              FW-Ping G30-21°
              Hybrid-915-27°
              Irons-Titleist 714CB-4/5,714MB-6-W
              GW-Titleist SM4-50
              SW-Titleist SM5-54
              LW-SM2-58
              Putter-SC Newport 2
              Century Club-108 holes at Osprey Valley Aug 4 2016

Comment

I try to convert everyone to the joy of walking. It's such a better way to experience the course. Quieter, more natural. With carts you're always stopping and starting and getting jolted over bumps... I hate it.

I've even paid for a cart and then just walked, more than once.

I agree with the pain of taking the wrong clubs. Drives me nuts trying to manufacture a shot with the wrong club.

Lots of people still believe walking is slower, but it's not. The only time carts are faster is when everyone has their own cart (or you are solo), and it's "scatter" conditions. The first is a pretty weird condition, and the second - well, it's not all that common for a solo player to be holding things up.

IMO club selection is generally faster too, as you get to see what your next shot looks like while you're walking to your ball. By the time you get there you usually know what you're going to do and often already have the yardage so you can just grab the club you need and get ready to hit.

Glad to hear you've made the change and are enjoying it.
                "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                ...Iggy

Comment

My preference is to walk, unless riding is mandated by the course or taking clients. Many clients prefer to ride. In hot climes I will ride as well. I have bonked in Palm Springs walking and it is no fun.

I can play nine at my course in an hour walking alone. 18 in two. Riding is about the same. We have groups that lobby for the early tee times and the responsibility is to not set a slow pace. The ones that get those early bird times all walk and are usually done in 3 to 3:15 max. For a foursome. If someone doesn't know how to time manage a cart, they can be painfully slow. My in-laws drive me bananas. They go to the next ball, person gets out, pulls club, couple of practise swings, hits, then they drive to the next persons ball. Drop hitter number one, drive to hitter number two, hitter number one hits and starts walking to cart as hitter number 2 hits. Not hard.

But walking rules. One of the reasons I picked my course to join was specifically because it is so walkable.
                  Ping G430 9*, Ping Tour Chrome 65g Reg flex
                  Ping G430 Max 3w and 5w, 75g Ping Tour Chrome Reg flex
                  Ping G430 Max 22* Hybrid 85g Ping tour Max Reg flex
                  TM P790 irons, 5-AW, DG R300U 105gm
                  Ping Glide 54/12 and 58/08 wedges
                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 33”​

Comment

I go back and forth on carrying my bag, pushing my ClicGear depending on my current health conditions and recently carting due to flexor injury due to walking too much, apparently.
                    Member of 2012, 2013, 2015 TGN Ryder Cup Team
                    Member of 2014 OG Ryder Cup Team

Comment

Walking is so much more social as well, you aren't just talking to the other person in the cart.....and when you're tired of the other person in your cart, you can just keep walking!
                      Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Best way to play

Comment

I walk approx 100 rounds per year both first thing in mornings (weekends) and later in the evening during the week. There are so many advantages that you can enjoy when walking that you cannot get if you are riding a cart. For example, this past Saturday our threesome walked within 15 feet of 4 does laying down in the fairway on no. 6 at Trillium. Truly an experience that you could not have if riding in a cart. If physically you have the ability to walk, I highly recommend it.
                          - Vessel Cart Bag
                          - Callaway Rogue ST Max LS driver
                          - Callaway UW 17° & 21°
                          - Callaway Apex TCB irons (5-AW)
                          - Callaway Full Toe 54 & 58 wedges
                          - Toulon Chicago putter

Comment

I walk 200 plus rounds a year.
                            I hate riding. If I had to ride all the time, I might give up the game. Harsh yes, but just how much I enjoy the walk.

If I ride a course in a cart, I can barely remember holes and the shots I hit. I f I walk, I seem to be able to replay the entire round in my mind. Maybe just me. But there is a connection with the ground walking you don't get with a cart

Comment

I always walk and have rarely even driven a cart, so I am totally not accustomed to them. The fee at the Cardinal RedCrest Senior's League includes a cart but I never take it...much to the surprise of staff.

However, there was once when I borrowed a partner's cart to make a run to the washroom at the clubhouse. When I got back my partner asked why his cart now had two bags on the back....neither of which were his.

Was kind of awkward going back. No one lends me their carts anymore.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X