Collapse

Grip Cleaning - the 'Secret' Method

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Grip Cleaning - the 'Secret' Method

Just grabbed the white simoniz tire cleaner with bleche white from Bolton Canadian Tire, It was on clearance ( red tag). Same product number for 4.99$

Comment

Originally posted by Agolf14 View Post
      Just grabbed the white simoniz tire cleaner with bleche white from Bolton Canadian Tire, It was on clearance ( red tag). Same product number for 4.99$
      Cost per year about 50 cents.
      Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
      Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
      Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Thanks for the tip.
        Just cleaned my Lamkin grips. They look and feel like new!

Comment

Originally posted by davevandyk View Post
          What a great trick to use, really brought my grips back to life, unbelievable to see how good it 'freshened my NDMC's up.

Has anyone tried the method on Scotty Cameron custom shop grips? I have a belly grip and wanted to know if its been done before attempting.

thanks!

p.s. I am the only one that finished and started looking around the house for other 'rubber' things I could try this on??!

My scotty cord gets it all the time. She smiles at me when I am done and rewards me with non slick grips.
          Driver - Taylormade SIM MAX 9.0 Diamana S
          3W - Taylormade M4
          5 wood - Callaway X Hot
          4 Hybrid - Taylormade R15
          Irons - Taylormade 2017 P790 5-PW
          Wedge - 52 Raw Jaws/56 MD 2 tour grind
          Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

Tried the Simoniz today. Grips look like brand new. However, I note that it leaves a waxy film on the grips and the bucket I used, even though I used sparingly. Hard to get off. So they are clean, but not tacky. Would have to wash with soap and water I think to get the film off.
            Any others have this problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Playthru View Post
              Tried the Simoniz today. Grips look like brand new. However, I note that it leaves a waxy film on the grips and the bucket I used, even though I used sparingly. Hard to get off. So they are clean, but not tacky. Would have to wash with soap and water I think to get the film off.
              That was exactly the issue I had and why I stick to soap and water now.

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
              TM SLDR 10.5*
              TM SLDR 3W & TM V-Steel 5W
              TM Rescue 22*
              4-PW Mix of Mizuno MX-25's and TM RBZ's
              Wedges: Titleist SM 53* & 56*
              Ping Ketch
              Ball: What's on sale?

Comment

Originally posted by Playthru View Post
                try rinsing the grips off with extremely hot water and drying them off agressively with a towel. My tacki macs dont have this film you speak of.
                Driver - Taylormade SIM MAX 9.0 Diamana S
                3W - Taylormade M4
                5 wood - Callaway X Hot
                4 Hybrid - Taylormade R15
                Irons - Taylormade 2017 P790 5-PW
                Wedge - 52 Raw Jaws/56 MD 2 tour grind
                Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

I found my grips to be way more tacky after doing this.

Comment

First time I did it, I had the same issue, but only on a couple of clubs.
                    During the post-treatment rinse, I gave them a bit of a scrub with one of those dishwasher brush things and that seemed to do the trick.

I also used a sink (as opposed to a bucket), so the water was always 'fresh'

Comment

• Re: Grip Cleaning - the 'Secret' Method

I too use the sink with hot running water, so water is always clean then towel dry.

Comment

Running hot water and scrub with a stiff brush got them to dry tacky.
                        Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

This really works well!. I did a 20 year old victory grip, and it took three times but it's back to being tacky!

Comment

Would the nylon brush be something like this ?

Comment

That would likely work really well.
                              I typically have used one of those dishwasher brush things you use to get into the bottom of glasses/pots... kinda like this

Comment

• Grip Cleaning - the 'Secret' Method

Originally posted by Bradley View Post
                                This really works well!. I did a 20 year old victory grip, and it took three times but it's back to being tacky!
                                I did a 15 year old dried out dirty black Scotty Cameron grip off a TeI3 puter.
                                I washed it 10X and then I thought its cord grip was now close to new.
                                That one was the hardest grip to restore but it worked.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X