Visiting a PGA Event

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visiting a PGA Event

Hey Guys,

A few friends and I are visiting the WGC Bridgestone Invitational next weekend and I was wondering if anyone might have some suggestions for how to spend our time at the tourney, as none of us have been to an event before.

Additionally is there anyone who has been to the tournament and knows anything worth checking out in Akron, Ohio? Is there any good golf shopping at the event?

Thanks!

Re: Visiting a PGA Event

Originally posted by gsheffie View Post
    Hey Guys,

A few friends and I are visiting the WGC Bridgestone Invitational next weekend and I was wondering if anyone might have some suggestions for how to spend our time at the tourney, as none of us have been to an event before.

Additionally is there anyone who has been to the tournament and knows anything worth checking out in Akron, Ohio? Is there any good golf shopping at the event?

Thanks!
    I went to the PGA Championship last year. A couple of my buddies wanted to see every hole that Tiger played so followed him around. I wasn't sure if that was a good strategy because every hold that tiger was playing was crowded before hand.

I on the other hand looked at the tee times to determine the order of players coming up. I picked a hole, and went there when "no names" were playing to get a good spot to see. Basically, I picked one hole and stood next to the tee box, another hole I stood at where I guessed the tee shot would go, another hole I picked the green and on the 17th I went and sat in the grand stand. The strategy gave me a chance to see the players I wanted to see at the right spots.

It was a lot of walking and standing around, so next time I go to an event, I'll bring a folding camp stool to sit while waiting for the players to come by the spot.

Comment

Hey Guys,

Thanks!
      Already in Ohio. Enjoy the tournament, awesome to watch these guys play. Wednesday is a lot of fun, you can easily meet some of the players and get autograph if desired. Concert from 6:00 to 8:00 Friday and Saturday. Sheryl Crow and Rascal Flatts concert Friday night. Hall of Fame (NFL) introduction and game this week-end. Golfsmith Superstore is new, should be interesting. Grove City Outlet always interesting.

Have fun should be fun (if rain goes away)
      If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

We often do a follow, then wait, follow, then wait.

Find a group early that sounds interesting. Start with them on number 1. Follow them for a few holes. Find a hole that is quieter where you can get a good viewing position and plant yourself and watch a few groups go thru. Pick up another group and follow them for a few holes. Rinse and repeat.

We'd try to work it out so we were sitting (and in a good spot) when the busier groups went thru and walked with quieter groups.

It can also be good to head out to the holes farthest from the main gate (which might not always be the clubhouse) and spend time there. Often people at Glen Abbey stay in the vicinity of the 1st and 8th greens (the tournament layout, not what we play) because they are near the main gate. Or 18th green, 16th green, 9th green, etc. which are all near the clubhouse. The 2nd and 5th greens can be quieter because they are far from the gate. The valley is mixed, some won't go into it because it means climbing out. Others love it because of the views.

If I'm at a tournament for multiple days, often the middle day I decide on a hole and plant myself there early and stay until the last group goes thru.

Comment

You might get there early and install yourself at the practice range. You can learn a lot watching these guys hitting the ball. Also, watching them hit chips is a real eye-opener as well.
          This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

If you are there on Tuesday or Wednesday pm GBRGolf, for a tour van tour. We hooked up the Shriners a few years ago and it was very interesting:

Discuss the pro tours. Tell us about your favourite pro tournament, pro golfer, promising rookies and golfers on a winning streak or golfers stuck in a rut!

Comment

I've only got experience from my times at Glen Abbey. What we would usually do is find the the marquee groups on the course follow them around for a little while then jump forward a few holes to get a good spot around a green to see approach shots. This is a little easier to do at the Canadian Open as their are fewer marquee groups. Virtually every group at this tournament could be seen as marquee.

Get an idea of the layout of the golf course so that you know where you're going once on the grounds. There is usually a program that is given out with tee times and a course map but its good to get an idea of where you are going once there.

I think what you will find is that you will go in there with some sort of plan and then just end up winging it. That seems to be what we always do. You will do a ton of walking and by the end of the day you'll just be looking for a place to sit down.

I've always wanted to make the trip down to this tournament as the field is amazing and I love Firestone. I heard this morning its the first time since 2012 that all of the top 50 in the world will be teeing up in the same event.

Comment

We were there a couple of years ago on the Thursday and it was blisteringly hot. The only relief was inside the massive air-conditioned souvenir tent. We did not walk the course much because of the heat but found an interesting pattern: #1, #10 and #17 tees and #9, #16, and #18 greens were all in close proximity to the clubhouse and air-conditioned tent. You can watch players start from bleachers at #1. We followed some groups out #17 and back down #18. The most comfortable and interesting location was setting up around the #16th green. It's a tough hole with a long second shot over a pond to a small green. Spent a lot of time just camped out there.
                The Tiger followers lined #1 from tee to green about three deep when he set out. Didn't seem worth following him because of the crowds.
                They have a very efficient off-site parking/shuttle bus system. Everything was very well run.
                We stayed in nearby Kent, Ohio and it was a sobering moment visiting the memorial at Kent State university to the students shot and killed by the National Guard during the anti-Vietnam War protest era.

Comment

Originally posted by rendogski View Post
                  Get an idea of the layout of the golf course so that you know where you're going once on the grounds. There is usually a program that is given out with tee times and a course map but its good to get an idea of where you are going once there.
                  More important is to find out which holes have certain sides of the fairways blocked off. Using Glen Abbey as an example, the fairway on number 14 is useless to try to watch from because there is no spectator room on the left side of the fairway, because of the pond, and the creek runs along the right side of the fairway. There is little space behind the tee so the only spot is really at the back of the green. Certain holes on the front side don't allow you to cross where you think it would be logical to cross. Also make note of where the crosswalks are.

Speaking of tees, it can be great to find the right tee and stand behind it. Watching them hit some of those monster drives and watching the way they shape their shots is unbelievable. Those guys ARE good!

Behind the tee blocks can also be the spot where you can get closest to them. It used to be that you could be on the right side of a tee (as 99% of the players were right handed). Mickelson and Weir changed that and now with so many strong lefties, it's not as easy to pick a side. Back of the tee blocks where they are available are the best spot to see drives. It can also be helpful when choosing a spot to sit by a green to figure out where they will be aiming for. And try to spend some time behind a green side bunker facing the flag. Always nice to watch them do their thing out of a bunker.

And try for some shade. Nothing kills the experience more than standing in hot sun for hours without any shade.

You can't take cameras Thursday to Sunday but you can take binoculars. I've got a small pair that I take with me. Also learn how the caddy bibs work. There are three coloured bibs in each group and the daily pairing sheet will have a code to say what player's caddy is wearing which colour bib. I also tried to carry a couple of scorers pencils and when I saw someone on the range, jot down what colour shirt and pants he was wearing. Helps if you are trying to identify someone.

If you want to see them hit approach shots, look for the Shotlink guys. These are volunteers who will have what looks to be a radar gun on a tripod. Shotlink positions them near the landing zones on par 4 and par 5 holes. The Shotlink guys (if they are close enough to the ropes where you can talk to them) also have the player's shirt and pants colours for the groups playing that hole.

Comment

Originally posted by rendogski View Post
                    I've always wanted to make the trip down to this tournament as the field is amazing and I love Firestone. I heard this morning its the first time since 2012 that all of the top 50 in the world will be teeing up in the same event.
                    I was fortunate to have played the course on Labour Day weekend in 1990. They were still in the process of tearing down the stands from the tournament that had been played a week or two earlier. The course ate me up.

Played Firestone on the Saturday, saw Stieb throw the no hitter on Sunday. Just an average weekend...

Comment

I like to walk the course in reverse, that way they're hitting to you, and you get to see everyone that plays
                      Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Visit driving range for sure
                        Park yourself behind a long par 4 or par 5. Cool to see these guys hit driver directly behind them. One event, Ernie almost hit me with his practice swing........yep..that's how close I was.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                        X