Collapse

Backspin...On a driver???

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backspin...On a driver???

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to why my drives don't roll forward but either plug or stop right beside the ball mark. I'm losing distance cause i'm not getting any forward roll. Really frustrating, any suggestions?
    My weapons of choice
    Driver: Taylormade R7 superquad 9.5 stiff
    on back up:Titleist 905R, Fujikura 26.3 Tour platform series Stiff
    3&5 Wood: Taylormade v-steel
    on back up: Titleist 904F, Aldila NV
    Hybrid: Ping Rapture 18* Aldila Proto "By you"
    3-pw: Mizuno mp33 stiff flex steel
    56 and 60 wedges: cleveland cg10
    putter: ping redwood anser

Re: Backspin...On a driver???

can you describe the trajectory/shape of your shot?
    Simar
    Be the change you want to see in the world. -- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by denchoe
      I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to why my drives don't roll forward but either plug or stop right beside the ball mark. I'm losing distance cause i'm not getting any forward roll. Really frustrating, any suggestions?
      Wait 'til July (mid-summer), you're problems will magically be resolved!!!!
      Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

None needed. Your fairways are soft and/or you hit the ball on a high trajectory.

Do you really believe that a driver should not have backspin? Spin, with your driver, is your friend. It helps gets the ball up in the air. Without it the dew worm population is in trouble.

Comment

if you hit your driver with topspin, it would probably only go 100 yards at the most.

the problem (other than soft grounds) is too much spin. if you have a high swing speed and a high lofted club, this could cause extra spin. the type of shaft can have an impact on this as well. and last, where on the face of your driver affects spin: the higher up on the face, the less spin you'll get. if you watch slo-mo shots of pga pros, you'll see that several of them hit the ball on the very top of the face so that, at compression, a large percentage of the ball is actually above it...

Comment

What's your ball flight like?
            If your ball flight starts off low, then climbs high and your getting no-roll or back spin, it's not the weather or the fairways. Your spin rate is to high causing the ball to balloon and is very likely costing you distance.
            TM M2 D-type 9.5 Accra CS1 70
            TM Jetspeed tour 19* Accra CS1 80
            TM M2 tour 4-9 Accra ICWT 95
            Callaway X-Forged 48, 52, 58, 64 Pro Modus3 105
            Nike method MC3i

Osprey Valley Century Club
            100 holes - May 2, 2016

Comment

I've played around with my trajectory so that i could eliminate the no roll, but all with the same result. Mainly my trajectory is at a 30* angle off the tee and doesn't really deviate from that path. No ballooning, or worm burning
              My weapons of choice

Comment

I've played around with my trajectory so that i could eliminate the no roll, but all with the same result. Mainly my trajectory is at a 30* angle off the tee and doesn't really deviate from that path. No ballooning, or worm burning
                Out of curiosity, how far do you hit your drives?
                Albert

Oh yeah, sticks:
                driver - TM 510 TP
                3 wood - TaylorMade V-steel with some purple shaft
                3-pw - Mizuno MP-37
                52* - Nike SV
                56* - Cleveland 588
                putter - Yes! Emma
                home course - somewhere near London... maybe...
                website - www.akrus.ca

Comment

My only suggestion, without being able to see your swing, is to try to tee the ball just a little lower. This could help you make contact with the ball in the middle of the clubface rather than the top. It seems that you're making contact on the top third of the club, based on your 30* launch angle, and using a 9.5* driver that's really high. Contact in the middle should reduce the launch angle.
                  U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

my carry is about 280 average. i think i'm losing about 20-30 yards with out the extra roll...
                    goshawk...i've tried the lower tee and i get the ballooning. Do you think i should try hitting the ball more on my down stroke that my up stroke?
                    My weapons of choice

Comment

Originally posted by Thimble
                      if you hit your driver with topspin, it would probably only go 100 yards at the most.

the problem (other than soft grounds) is too much spin. if you have a high swing speed and a high lofted club, this could cause extra spin. the type of shaft can have an impact on this as well. and last, where on the face of your driver affects spin: the higher up on the face, the less spin you'll get. if you watch slo-mo shots of pga pros, you'll see that several of them hit the ball on the very top of the face so that, at compression, a large percentage of the ball is actually above it...
                      This is another myth that pseudo experts like Lanny Wadkins or Peter Kostis perpetuate.

Consider this. Does the ball off a 9 iron spin more or less than a ball off of a 6 iron? Silly question as the answer is obviously off the 9 as it has about 12* more loft than the 6. All other things being equal, the greater the loft of the head, the more spin the ball has.

Now, a driver club face has roll. The face is curved from top to bottom. Therefore, the loft of the driver is different at the bottom, centre and top of the club face. If at the centre the face has 10*, then it may be 8* at the bottom and 12* at the top, because of the ROLL. As more loft = more spin, the higher you hit the ball on the face, the more spin you get, and therefore the higher the launch angle will be. If you want to hit the ball low, make contact on the bottom of the face.

While Peter, Lanny and many others spread this BS, science says the opposite. I would love to have someone explain, from a science point of view, how more loft equals less spin.

Implications? (1) If you really want less spin AND a higher launch angle, and we do to maximize distance, hit a higher lofted driver off the centre of the face. PGA Tour pros who hit off the top part of the club face are mis-hitting the shot.
                      (2) Don't believe everything you hear on TV. Science occasionally contradicts perception, feeling and gossip.

Comment

my carry is about 280 average. i think i'm losing about 20-30 yards with out the extra roll...
                        goshawk...i've tried the lower tee and i get the ballooning. Do you think i should try hitting the ball more on my down stroke that my up stroke?
                        I am experiencing the same problem and, but it is only because of soft fairways. I wouldn't go trying different things to solve this problem just yet. If you are still having problems in July (which I am confident you won't), then you should make some adjustments at that time.
                        forgedblade ... LH'ed Blueprinted Set
                        Driver - ADAMS XTD Titanium 9*, XX flex
                        Fairway Wood - TITLEIST 906F2, 3-Wood
                        Hybrid - ADAMS Idea Pro Black 9031, 3/20
                        Irons - PING WRX S55, 4-Iron to PW, XX flex
                        Wedges - VOKEY WedgeWorks, CC-TVD 54, 58
                        Putter - PING WRX TR Shea H, UST Freq. Filtered
                        Bag & Cart - SM C-130 and CLICGEAR 3.0
                        Golf Ball - SRIXON Tour Z-STAR XV

Comment

I guess if you actually carry 280yds, one you have nothing to complain about. 2 buy a stiffer shaft.

Comment

you will get more spin/ballooning the lower on the face you hit the ball. you'll notice this right away by comparing the difference between hitting a 3 wood off the deck and off a T.

if you CARRY the ball 280, i'm guessing you have a very high swing speed.

i think you can go down to a 8.5 or maybe even 7.5 degree. another option might be to go with a lower launch shaft (757, Blue, NV, etc.) rather than the stock TM one, if that's what's in your r7 right now.
                            Last edited by Thimble; May 1, 2006, 08:40 PM. Reason: Automerged posts

Comment

Thanks guys i'll give it a try on the range and see if it helps any...
                              if not then a new loft ...
                              if not the a new shaft...
                              if not then a new driver...
                              then welfare...
                              My weapons of choice

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse