No announcement yet.
Collapse

Donald Ross is a genius and masochist.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donald Ross is a genius and masochist.

Played Pinehurst Number 2 on Monday. What a track!!!!

I'm amazed at how tough it is to hold those greens, I hit about 8 greens in reg and held 2. Played from the 2005 Tournament tees, the 2014 tees are way back from that. It was playing 6,800 in cool windy weather.

I did not appreciate how tough and how fast those down grain putts are. The greens were redone with 'Masters Bermuda' a few years ago that is really hard to hold.

Glad to tick that course off of the bucket list.

Re: Donald Ross is a genius and masochist.

Originally posted by Bern View Post

I'm amazed at how tough it is to hold those greens, I hit about 8 greens in reg and held 2. Played from the 2005 Tournament tees, the 2014 tees are way back from that. It was playing 6,800 in cool windy weather.

I did not appreciate how tough and how fast those down grain putts are. The greens were redone with 'Masters Bermuda' a few years ago that is really hard to hold.

Outside of The Old Course, Pinehurst No. 2 is my favourite course anywhere. I love the look, I love the simple strategy, I love the greens and surrounds, how firm it plays....just everything all around.

Glad you got to cross it off the bucket list. I can't wait to go back.

Donald Ross is also one of my absolute all time favourite architects.

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post

I heard you can take a lesson prior to the round to learn how to better deal with the greens, is that true?

Did you get a caddy or are they mandatory?
      Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
      Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
      Ping G400 7W 20.5* or 3H 19*
      Ping G400 4H - 22*
      Ping G400 5 - UW
      Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
      Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
      Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
      Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

Good going. Pinehurst is like a golf mecca.

Comment

Good stuff Bern. I just played Torrey Pines two weeks ago and I never stop being amazed at how fast and tricky greens on high end courses can be.
          A few years ago I played Redstone in Houston 1 week after the pros were there and a 4 foot putt often went 5 feet past the hole with a gentle stroke on level greens.
          Enjoy crossing em off the old bucket list.
          golf is pure escapism ...

Comment

Pinehurst #2 is one of my favourite courses. I love the fact that it is susceptible to so many different types of approach shots.
            This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post
              I heard you can take a lesson prior to the round to learn how to better deal with the greens, is that true?

Did you get a caddy or are they mandatory?
              I did take a caddy, but they are not mandatory. It was an amazing experience and well worth taking one.

I didn't hear about the lesson option, though they do have an excellent teaching facility.
              Last edited by Bern; Jan 21, 2015, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
              X