The Golf Industry - Looking for Advice

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Golf Industry - Looking for Advice

Hey folks,

Having come to realize this forum is an outstanding resource for all things golf, and with my passion for the game developing into a borderline obsession, I've been wondering (dreaming, fantasizing, whatever you want to call it)...what would it be like to work in the golf industry?

A little background. I'm teetering on 30, and I'm a UofT graduate with an Hon.BA in English Literature, who began his career at a boutique marketing agency (for whom I still work) doing SEO - which, at the time, was a small little niche in a business otherwise devoted to other things.

Well I kinda hated that, and quickly developed a good relationship with the Director of Operations at the company, who was looking for help in Production & Project Management for our big-name Retail clients. So, I've been working in that role for the last five years, but it's evolved significantly since I began. We've gone from a heavy reliance on digital print (along with traditional offset printing) to some pretty high concept work that requires extensive metal fabrication, carpentry, lighting, etc...For my role, I am at the crux of it all - working with our internal design teams as we develop concepts, our suppliers as they build out our crazy ideas, and our clients...it's a major hybrid between production/project/account management, and it's certainly been an education. There's not a lot I can say I haven't done there, and for that I'm grateful.

All that said, my mind has been drifting lately to the idea of working in the golf industry, given my passion for the game. But, I hardly know where to begin. And as much as I'd love to be a tour pro, I think that ship sailed a long time ago...and then there's the part where I kinda stink (for now...)

Kidding aside, I was wondering if anyone, especially with a similar background to my own, has any experience in the industry, and could suggest some careers/companies that may be worth looking into...specifically in the GTA...and, to that end, how are the career prospects? Is there room for growth? Is it a dead end? Am I being delusional? What could I guy with my background and experience do? Expect to make? (This obviously matters, as consider myself to be doing fairly well at the moment, and I'm not looking to take steps backwards)

More than anything I'm looking for informed opinions, to engage a dialogue, to learn a little about something I know very little about, and to develop a more educated view on the subject. Any assistance this forum may be willing to impart would be immensely appreciated

Apologies for the novel (again, english major)...but thanks for your time, if you've made it this far!

Re: The Golf Industry - Looking for Advice

Do you make a decent living at your current job? Do you think you get paid fairly for the amount of work you do?

Because from everything I've heard from those who work in the golf industry, plan on being under paid and over worked and forget about having time to golf.

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
    TM SLDR 10.5*
    TM SLDR 3W & TM V-Steel 5W
    TM Rescue 22*
    4-PW Mix of Mizuno MX-25's and TM RBZ's
    Wedges: Titleist SM 53* & 56*
    Ping Ketch
    Ball: What's on sale?

Comment

I do make a decent living yes, and while I would still make the argument that I'm underpaid for what I do (and I do have a pretty intense work-life), I still make decent coin.

Not having time to golf though...that doesn't sound terribly appealing at all

You paint a bleak picture!

Comment

Can't Play Golf Anymore.

I have a few friends in the industry and they do it for the love of the game, and certainly not for the money. There are certain perks, but IMHO it's not worth the pay cut if you are already making good money.

Comment

Originally posted by LeftyLongBombs View Post
          I do make a decent living yes, and while I would still make the argument that I'm underpaid for what I do (and I do have a pretty intense work-life), I still make decent coin.

Not having time to golf though...that doesn't sound terribly appealing at all

You paint a bleak picture!
          Think authors, artists, dancers, bball hopefuls, violinists who love their passions so much they live in bachelor apartments and eat noodles to survive.
          There are 50 million golfers. 1000 make a living at playing - better chance at investing in lotteries. Another 50,000 are scratch or better players who work at clubs, or stores or driving ranges for peanuts.

Comment

You can always try getting into Ping or Titleist which have offices within the GTA.

Comment

I'd say start your own business of some sort. The ideal time to do it is when you're young and you have lots of time and energy to pour into it. You can live with skinny paycheques if necessary, and going broke isn't that big a deal. Once you have a house, family etc., it gets much tougher to assume the risk. I started mine at 36 and it was the best career move I ever made. BTW - my company is in the digital printing industry so if you ever need anything
              We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
              Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
              Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
              Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
              Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
              Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
              Srixon Star XV
              Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Get a trade ,no money in golf

Comment

Thanks for the advice, everyone - appreciate it!

Ping & Titleist definitely occurred to me, as I did notice they both had offices in the GTA...and I do play Ping irons (which, as my first set of big boy clubs, are damned beautiful)

Anyway, no idea what they may have available, what pay might be, etc...but I would have to think they have marketing departments, which is right up my (current) alley.

Dmcdam - interesting! You should send me a PM with your company info! Always looking for new print partners.

Comment

Ping & Titleist definitely occurred to me, as I did notice they both had offices in the GTA...and I do play Ping irons (which, as my first set of big boy clubs, are damned beautiful)

Anyway, no idea what they may have available, what pay might be, etc...but I would have to think they have marketing departments, which is right up my (current) alley.

Dmcdam - interesting! You should send me a PM with your company info! Always looking for new print partners.
                    Lots of great young golfers at our club with +Caps took a run at making a living at golf... scholarships, working for club companies, one's even on one of the PGA tours (with zero income this year). All ended up taking accounting

Comment

You are in a LONG line of people trying to get into the business here, especially at the Head Office level. Unless you have years of experience and plenty of contacts, you are chasing a job many are after. You could land yourself a job working in a Pro Shop without your PGA designation, but be prepared to work long hours and make anywhere between $10 - $18 an hour, depending on your golf course experience.

I get your love of the game, but if you think working in the industry will translate into more playing time, you are sadly mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by racmbs View Post
                        You are in a LONG line of people trying to get into the business here, especially at the Head Office level. Unless you have years of experience and plenty of contacts, you are chasing a job many are after. You could land yourself a job working in a Pro Shop without your PGA designation, but be prepared to work long hours and make anywhere between $10 - $18 an hour, depending on your golf course experience.

I get your love of the game, but if you think working in the industry will translate into more playing time, you are sadly mistaken.
                        You can often tell the head pro at a course... He's the nicely dressed guy without a deep tan... he never gets to play.

Comment

Originally posted by racmbs View Post

that and we have a long offseason here in Canada where courses are closed. Even in the US I have heard the same thing.
                          MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Having been in and out of the business for over forty years I can honestly say I absolutely love it. Having said that, you'd better be prepared to drop a minimum of 30K annually to live the dream. Being old and single I can afford to do just that. After all is said and done job satisfaction is worth tons.

Good luck with your choices

Comment

Shoot us a note, we are looking to hire right now. We are growing about as fast as any company in the golf industry. We also own a company in another industry and need some SEO experience.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X