Collapse

Dentonia

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dentonia

I'm fairly new to the east end (well not that new, 4 years now) and finally got around to playing a round at Dentonia yesterday as it's 10 minutes from my house. All in all I had a great time, course was in great condition and it wasn't too busy. I'll be back.

Some tid bits...

- I showed up just after 10:00 and walked on as a single and finished my round in just under 2 hours.
    - I caught up with the foursome ahead around the 5th hole or so, played through and then ended up playing through two more groups by the time I reached the turn. Open course after that.
    - One thing I chuckled at was seeing one of the maintenance guys give me a thumbs up from his lawnmower after spotted me fixing my ball mark. It got me to thinking that many of the newer beginner golfers must not always fix their marks or repair their divots (based on his reaction).
    - The mats are awful to hit off of, thankfully their are only a few. Crazy though that there is a mat on that 185 yard hole. I ended up jamming a little tee into it at a seem - ended up knocking a chocked up hybrid to the back fringe with a little hop of the cart path
    - I'm an average golfer just looking to get a quick round in and practice my short game. Ended up shooting 72, took a few silly doubles that I really shouldn't have. Going to try to break 70 next time!

- One thing that I found frustrating was trying to figure out my yardages. Their were a few holes listed over 100 yards that couldn't have been more than 70. It makes for trying to hone in your distances really difficult. In fact their were some shots that I struck well only to find myself 20 yards long. I'd be tempted to bring a range finder, but would that look a little pretentious on such a beginner course? Especially when bogey golf is about my level of skill?

All in all it was enjoyable and due to proximity a perfect place for a quick short game outing.

Re: Dentonia

great course to get your wedges going. had the junior golf membership for the city when i was 18, around 6 years ago now and played this course almost 4 times a week. if bringing it means youll find your yardages and will cause you to hit more consistent and thus improve your game do so! thats why youre there to play golf and get better who cares what it looks like on that course. mind you anything 120 in i usually wont look at the yardage and just go by eye sight but if your flying greens thats strokes to be saved! playing there this weekend
    Taylormade m4 hzrdus x
    Taylormade m4 15*
    Cobra forged tec black
    Milled grind 52* 56*
    Pm grind 60*
    ping g2 anser

Comment

I played it 4x at the start of this season with my newbie golfing coworkers. After using my laser rangefinder there, most of those yardages on the scorecard are wacked.

Comment

I also live in the neighborhood (Vic Park & Kingston Rd) and usually play there like 20 times a year (only played there once this year though).

The course is amazing when you're not waiting for 10 minutes on every hole, as you said you played as a single in 2 hrs which is my kind of golf.

Be sure to PM me if you're looking for a playing partner at that course.

Comment

I lived on pharmacy Ave, must of played a couple hundred rounds there ,I got my user name from there,Soooo close to an ace many times at dent.

Comment

Originally posted by nearace View Post
            I lived on pharmacy Ave, must of played a couple hundred rounds there ,I got my user name from there,Soooo close to an ace many times at dent.
            My only 2 have come there.

#4 & #8

Comment

Mats? That's too bad! Used to play there with my kids when they were young and before that when I was a kid. We made a great 4some! We had a lot of fun, but that was over 10 years ago and I only remember one hole that had a mat for a tee and that was a tee that was right against the fence on Vic Park.

Comment

A lot of people have a soft spot for Dentonia. It might be the most beloved of the city courses, which generally aren't "beloved"; the deficiencies of city courses aren't a bother when you're playing a cheap, fast round on a course that doesn't pretend to be anything other than a fun couple of hours. It used to be the first course I played every year, just to get myself a quick round and some short game work. I haven't played it in two years but really should get back to that tradition.

Comment

Only ever seen 1 HIO there (30 years ago): my buddy who barely plays!

I'm still waiting!!
                  Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

With the yardages, keep in mind the posted numbers are from the very back of the tee boxes. The actual placement of the blocks tend to be 10-15 yards up sometimes, and on #6 there could be a 20-30 yard difference if the blocks are moved way up.

Comment

Originally posted by iamonline View Post
                      With the yardages, keep in mind the posted numbers are from the very back of the tee boxes. The actual placement of the blocks tend to be 10-15 yards up sometimes, and on #6 there could be a 20-30 yard difference if the blocks are moved way up.
                      I was always told that the yardages are taken from the sign post for each hole at Dentonia.

It makes sense.

Comment

Lived at Warden/Lawrence back in the mid 60's and took the Warden bus to Warden subway then to V.P. station.
                        Played many rounds, never had an ace but always a good time.

Comment

Played it only once and enjoyed. Too far away now for a par 3 course. I have Bunker Hill nearby now which is a great test of mid/short game golf.

That said what I do recall is that there are a lot of elevation changes at Dentonia and while a hole may say 180 yards, it might be downhill enough to play about 150 or even less. Flat yardage versus elevation change is one of those things that keeps the game interesting and challenging. Dentonia delivers on that count.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                          X