Collapse

Muskoka area private golf clubs

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muskoka area private golf clubs

Does anyone have any insight on Muskoka Lakes Golf and Country Club as well as Port Carling Golf and Country Club?

I know MLGCC is a classic Stanley Thompson course while Port Carling is a Tom McBroom designed course. The amenities look newer at Port Carling while MLGCC seems to offer other activities besides golf.

I haven't had a chance to play either course, but, have had a chance to walk a few of the holes.

Re: Muskoka area private golf clubs

Haven't played Muskoka Lakes but have had the opportunity to play Port Carling numerous times over the past few years. I find Port Carling to be a special experience every time. I believe Men's Day is Friday Morning and looks to be very well attended by the membership. There isn't a full range but a very large netted hitting area. Pace of play seems to be great as I've actually never had to wait to hit a shot. I don't know the exact number, but I believe annual dues are fairly high.

If I owned a cottage close to Port Carling and $$ wasn't an issue, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Comment

PC over ML 8 days a week for the course. I didn't actually know it was a Thomson. I will charitably say that it wouldn't be one of the finer examples of his work...

ML is more than a golf club though, as you say. Depends what you're looking for.
      What's in the Sunmountain 4.5?

10.5 M2 with Speeder 77 Stiff 3 wood shaft
      TM Rescue 17*
      TM M2 4-AW
      TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60
      Odyssey 2 Ball with Superstroke Fatso

Comment

Originally posted by ace in the hazard View Post
        PC over ML 8 days a week for the course. I didn't actually know it was a Thomson. I will charitably say that it wouldn't be one of the finer examples of his work...

ML is more than a golf club though, as you say. Depends what you're looking for.
        Can't really compare the two. MLGCC is an amazing Family club that offers sailing, tennis, golf etc etc along with kids programs and a great social program and is accessible by boat. Its one of the few clubs in Canada with a waiting list (about 4 years).
        The course is about 6000 yards with 6 par 3s.
        Port Carling is all about the golf and its amazing. The facilities are second to none from dining to golf. Much longer /more difficult golf course thats always in great shape. Great active membership but not accessible by boat.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses, your insights are much appreciated.

To summarize, Port Carling is the choice for Golf and Dining. Muskoka Lakes would be the choice for a family club with a variety of activities.

I guess I need to figure out exactly what I'm looking for now and for years to come. I can see myself enjoying Muskoka Lakes right now, while the kids are young and appreciating Port Carling more when the kids are grown up!

Then again, if the wait list is 4 years, the kids would be all grown up??

Comment

Originally posted by MizunoEd View Post
            Thanks for all the responses, your insights are much appreciated.

To summarize, Port Carling is the choice for Golf and Dining. Muskoka Lakes would be the choice for a family club with a variety of activities.

I guess I need to figure out exactly what I'm looking for now and for years to come. I can see myself enjoying Muskoka Lakes right now, while the kids are young and appreciating Port Carling more when the kids are grown up!

Then again, if the wait list is 4 years, the kids would be all grown up??
            Give them a call. Pretty sure wait list is approx 4 yrs. MLGCC is a great family club. Minor upgrades to golf course in near future with possible entire rebuild by Doug Carrick as there is a road going right through the middle of the course. Boat access is great.

Comment

I have a friend is a Member at SMGCC .. played there once. Well groomed, nice layout. Might be worth a look.
              Cheers.
              NSST golf
              Never the same swing twice!!

Comment

have you heard of ovynbird??or Beaumaris Golf Club

Comment

Originally posted by muskokaERIC View Post
                  have you heard of ovynbird??or Beaumaris Golf Club
                  Would love to join Oviinbyrd, but, not personal friends with Mr Schwartz! Beaumaris is getting a bit far.

Comment

Originally posted by Nosechug View Post
                    I have a friend is a Member at SMGCC .. played there once. Well groomed, nice layout. Might be worth a look.
                    Cheers.
                    SMGCC looks like a good option too. Wasn't on my radar.

Comment

Originally posted by Lob wedge View Post
                      Give them a call. Pretty sure wait list is approx 4 yrs. MLGCC is a great family club. Minor upgrades to golf course in near future with possible entire rebuild by Doug Carrick as there is a road going right through the middle of the course. Boat access is great.
                      Not sure how I feel about an entire rebuild. It'll be a shame to lose another Stanley Thompson course.

Comment

Originally posted by MizunoEd View Post
                        Would love to join Oviinbyrd, but, not personal friends with Mr Schwartz! Beaumaris is getting a bit far.
                        You could get into Oviinbird. Just takes a cheque. Very cool place.

Comment

Originally posted by Lob wedge View Post
                          You could get into Oviinbird. Just takes a cheque. Very cool place.
                          Money talks

Comment

I'm not 100% sure, but aren't you required to have property on/near the three Muskoka Lakes in order to join MLGC? I usually stay at the resort just two properties over from ML and the owner is a member at both clubs and that is something he mentioned to me. As discussed, ML is a nice, short and fairly straight forward course, while PC is more of the high end, golfers club that is much more difficult. Can't go wrong with either one if money is not a concern.
                            Proud member of the Prune Juice Army.

Comment

Port Carling is great. If it's really a membership for golf, join Port Carling.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X