Collapse

Devils Paintbrush

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devils Paintbrush

Getting the chance to play this coming Sunday.

Any info would be great. I have heard a few things with regards to push/pull carts being not allowed.

I do know the two courses are a few KMs apart.

Re: Devils Paintbrush

Paintbrush is about 2km East of Pulpit. Has it's own little tudor style bar/clubhouse. Short range at Paintbrush, no drivers. Great course, very unique experience for Ontario. Routing is a little difficult. If you're not playing with a member get a map from the pro shop, it will help alot.

There are no pull carts allowed on either course. You need to either take a cart or carry. When you hit a ball into the greens on the paintbrush it will spin and stick like no where else. Even if you don't usually back up a ball you prolly will there.

Enjoy the day and be ready to have to take one of the provided ladders to get in and out of the pot bunker.

Comment

My favourite course. Enjoy the day. It's a ton of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by dbillz View Post
        Paintbrush is about 2km East of Pulpit. Has it's own little tudor style bar/clubhouse. Short range at Paintbrush, no drivers. Great course, very unique experience for Ontario. Routing is a little difficult. If you're not playing with a member get a map from the pro shop, it will help alot.

There are no pull carts allowed on either course. You need to either take a cart or carry. When you hit a ball into the greens on the paintbrush it will spin and stick like no where else. Even if you don't usually back up a ball you prolly will there.

Enjoy the day and be ready to have to take one of the provided ladders to get in and out of the pot bunker.
        Pull/Push carts are allowed and provided....changed 2/3 years ago. You can't bring your own but they are available at the bag drop....there are rules around them so check with your host. You can't bring them on tee boxes, certain walking paths, etc...Easier to carry for the day!

Comment

Originally posted by dbillz View Post

Would you recommend the range and restaurant at Pulpit and then heading over to the Paintbrush?

Comment

If you like fish and chips, the best I've ever had were at the Paintbrush. Their range is definitely subpar though. Good for a warmup, but that's about it.

Comment

Originally posted by P25 View Post
              If you like fish and chips, the best I've ever had were at the Paintbrush. Their range is definitely subpar though. Good for a warmup, but that's about it.
              Good to know about the range. Thanks very much.

Comment

best advice is to use an app like GOLFPAD to help you guide yourself around. Lots of blind stuff and lots of hidden trouble so if your member/host isn't similar to your game or sharp golfwise, he/she won't likely be much help.

i.e. "No, that bunker isn't in play" (until you hit it 280, which they've never done in their life)

Comment

Originally posted by sakimano View Post
                  best advice is to use an app like GOLFPAD to help you guide yourself around. Lots of blind stuff and lots of hidden trouble so if your member/host isn't similar to your game or sharp golfwise, he/she won't likely be much help.

i.e. "No, that bunker isn't in play" (until you hit it 280, which they've never done in their life)
                  Agree....it's a tough play the first time or two when you don't know where everything is.

I remember hitting into a deep, closely cut depression (who am I kidding, it was a hole) in a fairway on a par 5 on the back nine.
                  I like big putts and I cannot lie
                  You other putters can't deny
                  That when a putt goes in with an itty bitty pace
                  You're gonna fist pump in their face - Sir Putts-A-Lot

It's how well you golf fast!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cdncombatmedic View Post
                    Would you recommend the range and restaurant at Pulpit and then heading over to the Paintbrush?
                    Back when a friend was a member, we would always warm up at the Pulpit before playing the Paintbrush. He would take an hour - more of a practice session than a warmup IMO. You can certainly warm up the muscles at Paintbrush, but sometimes it's nice so hit a few drives to feel confident in your swing before the 1st tee...

Also, IIRC there is no putting green - you are to practice putting on the out-of-play areas on the enormous double green of 2 and 9. Pulpit has excellent putting, chipping and sand practice areas.

I'd eat at either place. Pulpit can go more upscale if wanted, but the food is perfectly fine at the Paintbrush and they've tried to give it more of smaller English Pub feel. I'd just choose whichever fits your plans best.

I didn't realize maps were available, but if you're somehow not playing with a member one would be useful. No signs, not always obvious where to go to find the next tee.

Some really spectacular - but more than that - "fun" holes of golf. My favourite course.
                    "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                    ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll View Post
                      Agree....it's a tough play the first time or two when you don't know where everything is.
                      No kidding...the first (and only) time I played Paintbrush I shot 90 - with 3 birdies!

Comment

As far as I know its just me and another nutter I am bringing with me. I have found a course guide on the website so I will be printing it off.

I will ask for a map at the pro shop thats for sure.

Funny thing ... have been craving fish and chips for a while.

I think I will hit the range at the Pulpit and check things out there including the larger proshop and then proceed to the Paintbrush. Have to pick up some swag while I am there.

Thanks for all the tips and pointers. Keep em coming.

I will do a little review with pictures.

Comment

There is a putting green at the top of the hill to the left of the range. I usually grab a few water balls out of my bag so I can hit a couple drives on the range. Usually good deals on merch this time of year.
                          What's in the Sunmountain 4.5?

10.5 M2 with Speeder 77 Stiff 3 wood shaft
                          TM Rescue 17*
                          TM M2 4-AW
                          TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60
                          Odyssey 2 Ball with Superstroke Fatso

Comment

Originally posted by P25 View Post
                            Paul, I still tell everyone about the great meal we had post-round at The Paintbrush, really one of the best ever, but perhaps I don't get out much!

I wonder if the ambidextrous waiter is still there - 4 HC one way, 11 HC the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdncombatmedic View Post
                              As far as I know its just me and another nutter I am bringing with me. I have found a course guide on the website so I will be printing it off.

I will ask for a map at the pro shop thats for sure.

Funny thing ... have been craving fish and chips for a while.

I think I will hit the range at the Pulpit and check things out there including the larger proshop and then proceed to the Paintbrush. Have to pick up some swag while I am there.

Thanks for all the tips and pointers. Keep em coming.

I will do a little review with pictures.
                              If you want to get a full warmup in, drop by the Pulpit. Range at the Brush will be limited to somewhere between 170-185 yards. As mentioned by someone else, there is a putting/chipping green beside the first tee.

Merchandise at the Pulpit is thinning out as they have reduced prices a few weeks ago. Keep in mind that you will only find Pulpit merch at the Pulpit

Quite a few comments about food - i will caution you that its ok, not great at both courses, just trying to set your expectations!

There is a tip sheet for the Brush available but no course map.....there are some well positioned pot bunkers that will punish you when you think you hit a perfect drive up the middle!

Its a great unique experience - enjoy it!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X