Collapse

Student Co-op (University) placement sought

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student Co-op (University) placement sought

My son is a student at University of Waterloo in the Advanced Physics (Co-op) program. He's completed 3 Semesters of class program and is now starting a Semester of Co-op. He is seeking a position, preferably with a Physics/Sciences/Maths slant but other options may be suitable for this first Co-op segment. The Semester runs Jan-Apr and then he returns to Waterloo for another Semester in class.

We are located in Durham Region.

Re: Student Co-op (University) placement sought

I'll bump this again just in case.

The next work term in the Co-op program runs from Sept. -April. It is a mandatory part of the course and should be related to his field of study which is Advanced Physics.

The boy is brilliant but also very shy. Would be a huge confidence boost for him to find something sooner versus later.

Comment

I also went to Waterloo in the Coop program for Math but ended up finding jobs in finance/accounting.

Has he been actively looking for jobs Jobmine (if that still exists?) and speaking with his councillor frequently?

He should most definitely look into workshops to help his confidence, they offer them at the career centre for various different things such as interviewing and networking etc.

I would also recommend he look for jobs outside of his direct field but may have related topics (finance for math, engineering for physics etc.) as my friend went through the exact same program he did and found outside of research/teaching positions there was not much he could do within his direct field.
      Driver: Fubuki Z 60 x5ct S-Flex 10 Degree Taylormade SLDR.
      Woods: Fubuki Z 65 x5ct S-Flex 16.5 Degree Taylormade SLDR 3 Wood.
      Hybrids: Fujikura Speeder 82H S-Flex 19 Degree Taylormade SLDR 3 Hybrid.
      Irons: True Temper DG S300 Titleist AP2 712 4-9 Irons.
      Wedges: True Temper DG S300 Titleist AP2 712 PW, Titleist Vokey SM5 50 Degree F Grind GW, 56 Degree F Grind SW and 60 Degree M Grind LW.
      Putter: Odyssey Versa 2 Ball. Super Stroke "The Claw" Grip.

Member of Station Creek Golf Club

Comment

Wouldn't the Perimeter Institute be basically right up his alley?

Comment

Originally posted by hackpro View Post
          Wouldn't the Perimeter Institute be basically right up his alley?
          Might be a bit of a stretch for a second year student.

I came out of the same program, and the chance of a STEM specific first term job isn't good. Fortunately, any job can generate a work term paper. I sold running shoes and mine was on the science behind the materials in athletic shoes. You have to be ready to look for the science hook in any job, and propose something to your counselor. They're pretty flexible. In later terms I worked on my profs and got a couple of lab placements. Great options if you can live on what they can afford to pay (or convince someone that the ROI on the experience is worth a bit more support).

Marty - wish your kid luck and tell him to hang in there. A physics degree can open up all sorts of unexpected opportunities.
          Last edited by Sidespin; Jul 15, 2014, 03:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Yes Jobmine is still there and he's using it.

I think one of the challenges in the area is that with the state of BlackBerry right now there are a lot less opportunities for the students.

Comment

BB was definitely a big employer for UW grads but I hope he wasn't banking on that one given their state since 2008...

His field is a bit more specialized but networking is key. Its very nice that he has a father who cares enough to post and ask for him but he's really got to get out there and talk to people if he hasn't done so already. Yes, the coop system is structured and there's no getting around it, but you can still make yourself visible to people in the industry and maybe get a chance to apply. Sad to say it's a numbers game, but the good thing is you only need one person to say yes. You just can't give up.

If I saw a kid reaching out to me cold with decent smarts and hunger, I'd give him some time and see if he's worth helping out. Even informative coffee meetings will give him ideas about his future career. Good luck, it's tough out there, just gotta believe you're better than everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellowg View Post
                I also went to Waterloo in the Coop program for Math but ended up finding jobs in finance/accounting.

Has he been actively looking for jobs Jobmine (if that still exists?) and speaking with his councillor frequently?

He should most definitely look into workshops to help his confidence, they offer them at the career centre for various different things such as interviewing and networking etc.

I would also recommend he look for jobs outside of his direct field but may have related topics (finance for math, engineering for physics etc.) as my friend went through the exact same program he did and found outside of research/teaching positions there was not much he could do within his direct field.
                Agree with looking outside the direct field, particularly where some type of trading is being done. "Quants" are always in demand and I'm guessing not necessarily easy to find. My understanding is lots come from math, engineering and physics -- as straight business types don't have the required strong math backgrounds.
                WITB: clubs, balls, tees, Advil and a candlestick (just in case)

Comment

Originally posted by ManFromMoffat View Post
                  as straight business types don't have the required strong math backgrounds.
                  As a guy in finance with a business undergrad, this is very true and should be explored.

Comment

Originally posted by cantcountstrokes View Post
                    As a guy in finance with a business undergrad, this is very true and should be explored.
                    agreed. reach out to the big banks through the UoW career management office. our quant group is full of rocket scientists. i don't understand what they do, but appreciate that they do it
                    What's in the Sunmountain 4.5?

10.5 M2 with Speeder 77 Stiff 3 wood shaft
                    TM Rescue 17*
                    TM M2 4-AW
                    TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60
                    Odyssey 2 Ball with Superstroke Fatso

Comment

Half the investment bankers I know are engineers
                      Driver: Fubuki Z 60 x5ct S-Flex 10 Degree Taylormade SLDR.
                      Woods: Fubuki Z 65 x5ct S-Flex 16.5 Degree Taylormade SLDR 3 Wood.
                      Hybrids: Fujikura Speeder 82H S-Flex 19 Degree Taylormade SLDR 3 Hybrid.
                      Irons: True Temper DG S300 Titleist AP2 712 4-9 Irons.
                      Wedges: True Temper DG S300 Titleist AP2 712 PW, Titleist Vokey SM5 50 Degree F Grind GW, 56 Degree F Grind SW and 60 Degree M Grind LW.
                      Putter: Odyssey Versa 2 Ball. Super Stroke "The Claw" Grip.

Member of Station Creek Golf Club

Comment

Thanks for the ideas guys. He did end up with a placement with Aecom as an assistant Bridge Inspector. Pretty happy about it too. Lots of Physics application even if it's not exactly Physics-centric.

Comment

Was looking for a Science Postgraduate student in chemistry. But just filled it, and the student is from Waterloo University.

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Canuck View Post
                            Thanks for the ideas guys. He did end up with a placement with Aecom as an assistant Bridge Inspector. Pretty happy about it too. Lots of Physics application even if it's not exactly Physics-centric.
                            Good to hear, I graduated from this program as well and it does sound like it changed a lot since then.

My recollections included all of your job applications (I think we could apply to up to 25 if you wished) happened while on campus and there were always more jobs than students so no need to search outside of what the Co Op program provided.

I also remember there were very few pure math and physics jobs. Most were computer related and for those in math in business tended to be in accounting firms. The reason for that is Canada is not an R&D country, that works is amost all in the US.

My 2 cents is if your son wants to do pure physics work he should look to do a Masters in the US, which means ensuring he is graduating near the top of his class. Then look at Ph.D and/or use the contacts in the US to look into pure physics roles in R&D in the US.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                            X