Looking for a consistent solution to this greenside shot

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for a consistent solution to this greenside shot

Originally posted by davepratt View Post
    Here's what a pro taught me. Using a sand wedge, ball well back in stance, open stance, 70% of your weight on front side, hinge the wrists and pick the club up rather than sweeping it back and having the grass interfere with the stroke. It's not easy to master and I haven't yet but when it works it's a thing of beauty.
    This was the model for a super beginner... ball back means steep angle into the ball and a serious inside out path. There aren't too many great short game players that play it back of centre on most shots.

explosion shots that come out soft and high like bunker shots are seriously wide swing arcs with open faces. its like hitting of the concrete without hitting the concrete!

Comment

Originally posted by mit006 View Post
      You can use a putting grip with a wedge (choked down), which brings the club head closer to your body, raises the heel of the club and lowers the toe. Using a putting stroke, ball behind the point where your stroke would bottom out (ie ball back in your stance), hit the ball using the toe of the club face.

Pop's the ball up and over that 3-6 feet of rough and gives you about the same roll. It's good because you can use more speed to keep the club head moving through the rough, it doesn't get caught going through the rough since only the toe is going through it, and the toe impact and putting grip deadens the energy transfer. So you can moderate the short distance without being too delicate, like you would have to be trying to do a 6 foot carry flop shot.
      That is what I do as well...
      If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

You can use a putting grip with a wedge (choked down), which brings the club head closer to your body, raises the heel of the club and lowers the toe. Using a putting stroke, ball behind the point where your stroke would bottom out (ie ball back in your stance), hit the ball using the toe of the club face.

Pop's the ball up and over that 3-6 feet of rough and gives you about the same roll. It's good because you can use more speed to keep the club head moving through the rough, it doesn't get caught going through the rough since only the toe is going through it, and the toe impact and putting grip deadens the energy transfer. So you can moderate the short distance without being too delicate, like you would have to be trying to do a 6 foot carry flop shot.
        I use the toe like this method.
        I also like using the belly wedge and intentionally scull to the hole if the rough isnt as heavy,

Comment

More or less works for me too. I would just add that you can vary the club based on how much carry and roll you need; lower lofts for less carry more roll; I use a 7 or 8 i quite a lot.

Comment

stand the wedge on its toe so it presents the least amount of surface area to the grass.
            This toe-down set-up keeps the hosel above any binding grass. No wrist hinge. putting stroke. A soft knee follow through when a little height is needed.
            things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

you guys have any youtube videos of this putting chip method? never seen this in action.

what club are you guys using to do this method? 60*?, 9i?

Comment

Originally posted by Tour50 View Post
                One of the most challenging shots I've seen lately is when you have the pin close (4-6 feet?) to the edge of the green and you're 3 to 6 feet into the rough nearest the pin.

Originally posted by dimitrib View Post
                depending on the distance you could easily use anything up to an 8i and run it on the greens.
                An 8i to a pin 4-6ft on the Green How does this work?

Comment

Originally posted by iyah View Post
                  An 8i to a pin 4-6ft on the Green How does this work?
                  8i for longer chip putts/bump & runs where I have a clean shot from the fairway. I want a low shot that carries to the green and rolls out.

Originally posted by TJames
                  check out the URL listed below
                  https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+run+golf+shot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KYH99MuaMU the chipping instruction starts at 30m
                  Last edited by dimitrib; Jul 24, 2014, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dimitrib View Post
                    8i for longer chip putts/bump & runs where I have a clean shot from the fairway. I want a low shot that carries to the green and rolls out.
                    That's not what the thread is about though.

Comment

Originally posted by P25 View Post
                      That's not what the thread is about though.
                      well options around the greens and maybe longer shots.

Comment

Originally posted by TJames View Post
                        you guys have any youtube videos of this putting chip method? never seen this in action.

what club are you guys using to do this method? 60*?, 9i?
                        Here's one for the putting style shaft more vertical. This is good with the OP's scenario where you're closer to a 50-50 split, ie 2-3 yards off and 3 yards of green to work with to the pin:

This one's a bit different where you're opening the club face to get a higher chip. Still a chip though. I don't know how people prefer to define flop shots, but I personally think of it as chips having little to know wrist hinge and pitches having wrist hinge and more velocity through the ball with the flop shot being of the latter variety. Semantics isn't the point of the OP's question, so I digress. But this is a good option if you're dealing with more air to roll in a short distance.

In both cases I'm usually dealing with a situation where the ball needs to fly more than 50% of the distance and the roll needs to be less than 50%, so I'm typically using a sand or lob wedge (or "super" lob wedge if you want to call it that, 64*).

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Pingnut View Post
                          64 degree flop
                          10 feet of height for 3 feet of grass is best, but it's a mother when you blade it ;-)

Comment

Here's one for the putting style shaft more vertical. This is good with the OP's scenario where you're closer to a 50-50 split, ie 2-3 yards off and 3 yards of green to work with to the pin:

This one's a bit different where you're opening the club face to get a higher chip. Still a chip though. I don't know how people prefer to define flop shots, but I personally think of it as chips having little to know wrist hinge and pitches having wrist hinge and more velocity through the ball with the flop shot being of the latter variety. Semantics isn't the point of the OP's question, so I digress. But this is a good option if you're dealing with more air to roll in a short distance.

In both cases I'm usually dealing with a situation where the ball needs to fly more than 50% of the distance and the roll needs to be less than 50%, so I'm typically using a sand or lob wedge (or "super" lob wedge if you want to call it that, 64*).

Good luck!
                            I getting better at my lobs that I used the soft lob for the OP question.
                            I like the toe chip for bare lies and ball above my feet from the same distance.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                            X