Collapse

Great Lakes Tour 2012

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Lakes Tour 2012

Are any of you nuts playing in any events this year? Looks like good competitive golf. I am a four handicap and am exited to play in a competitive environment even if i get my rear handed to me!

Re: Great Lakes Tour 2012

I'll be there for sure
    Only played one event last year but it was fun for sure and this year i'll be playing 8 of the 1 day events and maybe 2 or 3 of the two day events depending how I do.
    Be prepared to go low though as a lot of these young guys have some serious game. The first event I ever played in i shot a 70 in a practice round and then shot an 81 in the actual tournament round. If you haven't played in one of these before you might get a bit nervous. I know I did and I ended up hitting two out of bounds on the first hole.

It is a lot of fun for sure and you can really see how your game stacks up.
    In the Exotics Stand Bag

Driver: Callaway FT Tour 9.5* w/ Aldila Voodoo SVS6
    Three: Tour Edge Exotics XCG4 w/ Aldila RIP Stiff
    Hybrids: Tour Edge Exotics XCG4 19* w/ Aldila RIP Stiff
    Wilson Staff DXi 19* & 22* w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
    Irons: Titleist 695MB 4-PW
    Wedges: Tour Edge Exotics Tour Proto V1.1 52*&56*
    Putter: Tour Edge T Balance 07 33"
    Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour

Back Up Driver: Tour Edge Exotics XCG4 10.5* w/ Aldila Rip

Comment

200 bucks to play against Brian McCann and Billy Walsh - might be fun to watch them up close but that league is really for scratch or better. I do hear you though - not enough good am tournaments today - everything is a scramble as you get more 10 + hdcps involved.

Comment

Drawbias you're right 100% it is definitely for scratch or better and their is a lot of great young players out on that tour. I've played with a few and was in aw of how they hit the ball. Just imagine being in your mid 30's and hit the ball 280 off the tee only to find yourself 30+ yards behind your whole group.

If i am hitting a 7 iron into a par 4 these young kids are hitting 9 iron or wedge.

It's worth trying though and great experience.
        In the Exotics Stand Bag

Comment

i saw what these guys posted last year...low scoring for sure! i have only shot sub par once and have no shot to win...however, i have never played with anyone who shot four or five under. i cant wait to see it infront of my own eyes on the same holes im playing. i guess my four handicap will relate to fourteen in tournament play being that i have never played tournament golf. im sure i will get more used to the pressure as the season progresses. longball, maybe we should meet up before season starts and play a round.

Comment

For sure the scores can be low and the courses are not set up easy that's for sure.

Hopefully you don't get paired up with someone shooting 90 cuz' that is no fun to watch someone else struggle.
            In the Exotics Stand Bag

Comment

Originally posted by nado View Post
              i saw what these guys posted last year...low scoring for sure! i have only shot sub par once and have no shot to win...however, i have never played with anyone who shot four or five under. i cant wait to see it infront of my own eyes on the same holes im playing. i guess my four handicap will relate to fourteen in tournament play being that i have never played tournament golf. im sure i will get more used to the pressure as the season progresses. longball, maybe we should meet up before season starts and play a round.
              By this post U R already putting yourself in a bad position. Much of Golf is between the ears and if U R thinking of playing at this level, U R more than likely qualified to do so. Think like a winner or the confident golfer that U probably are. Set the bar higher and go for it ... Don't worry they are nervous too. I don't play on that tour but, have seen most of them play and they make mistakes just like you.

The Tour, administration and players will make you feel welcome and comfortable.

good luck and enjoy the game.

Comment

Originally posted by drawbias View Post
                200 bucks to play against Brian McCann
                I've played a fun round with Brian and it was a blast. A competitive round would be another matter though.
                I like big putts and I cannot lie
                You other putters can't deny
                That when a putt goes in with an itty bitty pace
                You're gonna fist pump in their face - Sir Putts-A-Lot

It's how well you golf fast!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by longball73 View Post
                  For sure the scores can be low and the courses are not set up easy that's for sure.

Hopefully you don't get paired up with someone shooting 90 cuz' that is no fun to watch someone else struggle.
                  if a player im paired with shoots 120, sure, not worth the price of admission, but would give him credit for playing in a tournament setting (following the exact rules of golf) rather than the ob ball drop where it entered......... im sure that players who have posted high numbers were do to newly found pressures. i do agree with you that it would not be enjoyable to watch, but it is the only open tour in tbe world where anyone can play (or you can put it as suoporting the future of canadian golf by donating to the winners:

Comment

On that note I have seen a few players withdraw after 9 holes on the GLT after shooting 44-50 as they have sponsors and don't want them to see the high number they will shoot.

I for one have shot really good rounds out there and some really poor ones mostly due to getting off to a bad start and not being able to turn it around but i always finish and sign my card weather it's a 70 or an 85 and yes i've shot an 85 out there before. It's not hard to do with some of the course set ups.
                    In the Exotics Stand Bag

Comment

Carried a bag years ago for a friend when it was first starting up. Some good courses and a real experience.

"The More I practice, the luckier I get" - Gary Player

910D2
                      909H 15*
                      AP2 710 3-5i
                      710mb 6-PW
                      BV 52*/4 56*/4
                      All kinds of putters

http://instagram.com/normster

Comment

if anything, a good experience for sure. i have not played anything in a competivie atmosphere (other than friendly "best ball" tournaments) for over twenty years. i will tell you this, whatever i shoot, it will be posted! Sure i would like to shoot a great number, but i wont wihdrawl if front nine is a horror show....i want if anything to gain experience to pass on to my first son (5yrs old) who is just starting out in our sport......

so, anyone other than longball and myself going to play this year?

Comment

Too bad all tournaments are during the week. It makes tough to have guys who can compete but have fulltime day jobs to make a mark.

Comment

Playing GTA Amateur Tour myself.

Comment

Originally posted by nado View Post
                              Too bad all tournaments are during the week. It makes tough to have guys who can compete but have fulltime day jobs to make a mark.
                              Members don't like giving up their courses on the weekend.
                              I like big putts and I cannot lie
                              You other putters can't deny
                              That when a putt goes in with an itty bitty pace
                              You're gonna fist pump in their face - Sir Putts-A-Lot

It's how well you golf fast!!!!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X