Bryson DeChambeau - side saddle

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bryson DeChambeau - side saddle

Originally posted by racmbs View Post
    I wonder if this could be deemed illegal, when viewing how he sets up? To me in the video it appears that he's using his right foot as an alignment aid when setting up and through the stroke. Or maybe I'm just over analyzing this and being a head case myself.

Bottom line...I think it looks bizarre, but if it works, go nuts.
    that's the first thing that came in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by smc66 View Post
      Who is KJ? I know Sam Snead converted to sidesaddle putting late in his career, after he developed the yips putting conventionally.
      KJ Choi

Also upon further reading Tim Clark also experimented with it. (and of course Snead used it for a while)

Dave Pelz was quoted in one article last year saying thinks it's a very efficient style that we could see more of going forward.
      Last edited by Weirfan; Dec 7, 2016, 09:18 AM.
      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

If it makes him putt better than I'm all for it.

It's not how but how many right?

Comment

I suspect the advantages of the sidesaddle stance, and its stereoscopic vision(both eyes forward),has some advantages over the eye-dominant parallel stance.
          things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
            I suspect the advantages of the sidesaddle stance, and its stereoscopic vision(both eyes forward),has some advantages over the eye-dominant parallel stance.
            He used it today in the Templeton and from what I read drained two long birdie putts

Found the videos, believe the first birdie was his first putt on the first hole
            Last edited by Weirfan; Dec 8, 2016, 06:44 PM.
            "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by racmbs View Post
              I wonder if this could be deemed illegal, when viewing how he sets up? To me in the video it appears that he's using his right foot as an alignment aid when setting up and through the stroke. Or maybe I'm just over analyzing this and being a head case myself.

Bottom line...I think it looks bizarre, but if it works, go nuts.
              I'm not clear on the breach of rule here? isn't using your feet as alignment aid standard almost every golf shot?

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
                Kinda like a hitter in Baseball I guess?
                Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Putting facing the hole, like you would if you were rolling the ball with your hand, makes a lot of sense. Much more natural than the way most of us putt.

The WSJ had an article on this a few years ago, but the article can only be viewed by subscribers now.

Here's a more recent (and very good) article from golf.com that viewable by all.
                  Get the latest golf, now. Follow along as we publish live pga news coverage of your favorite tour player and their performance each week.
                  Last edited by multimut; Dec 9, 2016, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                    He used it today in the Templeton and from what I read drained two long birdie putts

Found the videos, believe the first birdie was his first putt on the first hole
                    http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf...saddle-stroke/
                    shades of Sam and Bernhart. Ive not seen this till now.
                    things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post
                      Kinda like a hitter in Baseball I guess?
                      yes. Baseball is unique in that your stance is parallel, or slightly open, but both eyes are forward to gauge the ball flight which is a 3D instance]. You wouldn't be able to do it using just your dominant eye.
                      Bryson's approach is even more unique in that he stands tall(unlike Snead)
                      The combination of height, plus eyes forward, let him triangulate the distance(ergo speed) much better.
                      things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

I watched him putt the last couple days and it looks quite unnatural to me. I bet he's just tinkering and will switch back to some style more conventional.

Comment

Originally posted by newy View Post
                          I watched him putt the last couple days and it looks quite unnatural to me. I bet he's just tinkering and will switch back to some style more conventional.
                          I think we might see him go to a longer putter like Langer's before he abandons the idea.
                          Presently the low hand on top is pulling the shaft down the line, but with a longer putter like Langer's the upper hand becomes the active hinge point and the lower becomes the beam.
                          things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Patrice Dionne has the best explanation of what I think is the next step for Bryson.

Simple way to improve putting. The Face on / side saddle putting technique with the GP will help your game.http://www.Face-on-Putting.com You will be able ...
                            things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

USGA tells Bryson DeChambeau his putter is non-conforming

Comment

They let them make balls that go forever and then they have the nerve to ban something like this. It's ridiculous!!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X