Shipping a club to the US?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping a club to the US?

Hey folks/nuts,

I have a club that I'm selling that I'd like to ship to the US. What's the best way to go about this? Have the buyer send me a payment first and then they pay the shipping costs when it arrives to them? Would I do this through Canada Post (ie. drop off the club at Shoppers with Canada Post facility) or do I go through either UPS, Purolator, or Fedex? And what are the costs to the buyer, typically??

Thanks all,

TMAzn

Re: Shipping a club to the US?

unless you have a FEDEX GROUND drop facility, Canada Post is the easiest.

USPS picks it up and the tracking number can be followed on the USPS web site after it hits the border.

costs are contingent on size and weight and how far it is going.

you can get a very accurate estimate online at CP, just need the zip or state it's going to
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
      unless you have a FEDEX GROUND drop facility, Canada Post is the easiest.

USPS picks it up and the tracking number can be followed on the USPS web site after it hits the border.

costs are contingent on size and weight and how far it is going.

you can get a very accurate estimate online at CP, just need the zip or state it's going to
      So in this case, I would pay the shipping costs and from there, the buyer would reimburse me in addition to the price of the club? I thought there was a way to make it so that the shipping costs are paid by the buyer...

Comment

Originally posted by TMAzng01f3R View Post
        So in this case, I would pay the shipping costs and from there, the buyer would reimburse me in addition to the price of the club? I thought there was a way to make it so that the shipping costs are paid by the buyer...
        work that out with the buyer in advance. get the $ before you ship.
        MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

I only use fedex ground..sent a single club to Texas about $18-3 days..sent
          a set of irons to Phoenix about $26-4 days..the best & cheap..

Comment

I always ship Canada Post to USA buyers.
            You can readily calculate the cost at the Canada Post website.

Don't UPS & FEDEX charge the recipient a brokerage fee at delivery ?
            That will surely piss off the buyer.
            🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
            Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
            Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
            Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
            Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
            Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
            Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Fedex is cheapest to send. No duties and brokerage fees paid by buyers based on my 20-30 times selling across the border.

I put gift and value under 100 always.

Comment

Never ever use Shoppers Canada Post. They are a franchise and markup shipping costs. Always go to the real Canada Post outlet.

Also, depending on the location one shipper may be cheaper than another. Always go to their websites and see who is cheapest. They tend to divide up the country and some will be cheaper in certain areas.
                Sun Mountain C-130
                Ping G30 Driver, G25 4 & 7 wood
                Ping G25 27*
                Ping i20 6 - Sw
                Vokey SM4 58
                Callaway Jaws 64
                Odyssey White Hot # 7
                NXT Tour S

You have never really lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.

Comment

A related question; what do you pack a club in for shipping? Do any of the moving or shipping companies sell appropriate boxes? Or is there another way to pack?

Comment

Originally posted by Davepm View Post
                    Never ever use Shoppers Canada Post. They are a franchise and markup shipping costs. Always go to the real Canada .
                    Huh? I had a nice little ebay business for awhile and the Canada Post outlet at Shoppers was no different then the "real" Canada Post location downtown. The price you can easily calculate using canada posts online calculator works great if you have a measuring tape and an accurate scale. Never did I pay more then the online estimate.

Oh and FedEx is decent too. Brokerage fees and duties are normally a Canadian issue. The Yanks don't get screwed over with these fees like we do and are normally shocked to hear what we put up with cross border shipping.

Mike
                    Whats in the bag

Driver: Titliest 905R Graphite Design YS-6+ shaft R flex
                    Fairways: Sonartec NP-99 14* and 19* Aldila shafts
                    Irons: Ping S59
                    Wedges: Titliest Vokey Chrome Tour, Wilson staff
                    Putter: Odyssey 2 ball SRT
                    Ball: Probably yours
                    Shoe: Adidas Tour 360 2.0's ( Yes the ugly blue/white/orange ones)

Comment

Originally posted by Kobegolf View Post
                      Fedex is cheapest to send. No duties and brokerage fees paid by buyers based on my 20-30 times selling across the border.

I put gift and value under 100 always.

Hmmm; I'm not a business... just sellin' one my used clubs to some guy in the US who wants it shipped to his workplace, which happens to be a bank in New Hampshire!

Would I still need to mark it as a 'gift'? Its definitely worth less than 100...

Comment

Originally posted by TMAzng01f3R View Post
                        Hmmm; I'm not a business... just sellin' one my used clubs to some guy in the US who wants it shipped to his workplace, which happens to be a bank in New Hampshire!

Would I still need to mark it as a 'gift'? Its definitely worth less than 100...
                        nope. I never have and have never had a problem.
                        MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

I'm in a similar position need to ship a driver to a business in California for shaft replacement. The company is covering the shaft, installation and shipping back to me costs.

Is Canada Post still the best option?
                          Should I get a driver size box or other?
                          Does it matter I'm shipping to a business?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobogo View Post
                            I'm in a similar position need to ship a driver to a business in California for shaft replacement. The company is covering the shaft, installation and shipping back to me costs.

Is Canada Post still the best option?
                            Should I get a driver size box or other?
                            Does it matter I'm shipping to a business?

Thanks in advance.
                            I still use Canada Post for 99% of my shipping.
                            Definitely get a proper club box, and pack it and tape it well. You should be able to get one from GT by asking or just check their dumpster.
                            Get CP FRAGILE stickers and put them on it .
                            Insure it for the replacement value.

It doesn't matter if you ship it to a business.

You should ask the company in the US to ensure they use USPS to return ship , or ensure that they are covering any brokerage fees and possible duties and taxes if they use a courier.

Make sure that the company also insures it for it's value. One issue that can arise should you be unlucky ,is you get dinged for tax and or duty on the insured value on the club's return back into Canada. It's rare but can happen. To avoid this ask the company to write " warranty replacement" along with their declaration of value . In the worst case scenario, yoh would have to apply for a refund of any tax and duty you might get dinged for. This is worst case scenario though , I have received tons of packages over the years and almost never have had to pay duty , and very rarely tax even.

Comment

Just to add, is the shaft broken or will they be throwing it away?

The reason I say this is that it is much cheaper to ship a head than a whole club, there's an automatic $ 7.50 fee tacked onto items 1 meter in length, not to mention the weight and package size charges are more than for a head only.

If you could send the head only back or if you are not able to get the shaft pulled at least cut the shaft off a foot or 2 up the shaft , it will save you some $$.
                              That leaves enough shaft for them to still pull the head. Of course ask them if it's ok and how much shaft they need to fit in their extractor.

Easier still if it's a driver that you can just remove the shaft with a tool

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X