Collapse

SAS Championship - Doug Garwood putting routine

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAS Championship - Doug Garwood putting routine

Just watching this now on GC and he's playing great - one question for the rule guys on here. When he putts, he soles the putter in front of the ball then picks up and over behind the ball and makes his stroke.
    would this not be considered touching the line of the putt?

Re: SAS Championship - Doug Garwood putting routine

Originally posted by Bosco View Post
    Just watching this now on GC and he's playing great - one question for the rule guys on here. When he putts, he soles the putter in front of the ball then picks up and over behind the ball and makes his stroke.
    No.

A player has "addressed the ball" when he has grounded his club immediately in front of or immediately behind the ball, whether or not he has taken his stance.
    Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
    - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Originally posted by Bosco View Post
      Yes, but it is one of the permitted instances for touching the line of putt. See (ii) below.

Addressing the Ball
      A player has "addressed the ball" when he has grounded his club immediately in front of or immediately behind the ball, whether or not he has taken his stance.
      16-1. General
      a. Touching Line of Putt
      The line of putt must not be touched except:
      (i)the player may remove loose impediments, provided he does not press anything down;
      (ii)the player may place the club in front of the ball when addressing it, provided he does not press anything down;
      (iii)in measuring - Rule 18-6;
      (iv)in lifting or replacing the ball - Rule 16-1b;
      (v)in pressing down a ball-marker;
      (vi)in repairing old hole plugs or ball marks on the putting green - Rule 16-1c; and
      (vii)in removing movable obstructions - Rule 24-1.

Comment

I've always regarded that practice with suspicion since the weight of the putter can smooth a stray tuft of grass in front of the ball.
        Nick Price, in his prime, used a Fat Lady mallet with a 3" wide sole, and set his putter in front of the ball. It is within the rules,, but ...............
        things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
          I've always regarded that practice with suspicion since the weight of the putter can smooth a stray tuft of grass in front of the ball.
          Nick Price, in his prime, used a Fat Lady mallet with a 3" wide sole, and set his putter in front of the ball. It is within the rules,, but ...............
          You seem to be suggesting that he was not in compliance with the Rule? If so, I totally disagree and request that you provide evidence, not mere speculation.

I think that I saw you teeing off in front of the markers last weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by rulie View Post
            You seem to be suggesting that he was not in compliance with the Rule? If so, I totally disagree and request that you provide evidence, not mere speculation.

I think that I saw you teeing off in front of the markers last weekend.

fat chance of that.
            things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
            X