Swingweighting Graphite shaft

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Swingweighting Graphite shaft

Originally posted by danscustomgolfshop View Post
    This is why I do all my swingweight work before the grip is installed.
    Build to a target before grip installation and then let the final swing weight fall where it may.
    Swing weight matching should be considered before installing the grip - any grip.
    I agree with Dan and would not use a heavy grip to try and satisfy a Swt #.

I determine many factors grip off (length, cpm frequency, swt) to name a few.
    Originally posted by jburns View Post
    What type of irons are they? If it's anything similar to Ping sometimes you can get the OEM "custom tuning ports" changed to add the weight you require.
    We did this on our personal i20 iron sets but its not cheap. Heads were sent to Ping WRX tour department and they did a great job.
    Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
    Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
    Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

This is where some have a complete misunderstanding of head weight feel.

If you consider all the guys building to MOI - grip weight really has very little to do with the MOI of a club. Adding extra head weight will move an MOI number fairly quickly.

Now if you consider swing weight the grip plays a big part in the final swing weight number. Because the grip is under your hands it plays a very little role in how the head feels.

This is why I do all my swingweight work before the grip is installed. If the target of a final swing weight is D2 (which is based on a 52g grip) you would target an E2 swing weight before installing the grip. By installing the grip - the head weight and shaft weigh have not changed past the 14 inch fulcrum, and the MOI number will not move regardless of grip weight. So if you now install an 82g grip the swing weight will read roughly 6 swingweight points light at near C6. If you install a 25g grip your swing weight will go up to something like a D7. But through all this the head and shaft weigh still remain a constant and the feel will still be there. By varying grip weight you have moved the total weight up or down, but the MOI has remained relatively stable.

Build to a target before grip installation and then let the final swing weight fall where it may. If you add an extraordinary amount of head weight just to accommodate a very heavy grip then the head will still feel heavy as the MOI has gone way up - just to reach an arbitrary swingweight number that many feel is needed. It is not.

Swing weight matching should be considered before installing the grip - any grip.

Dan, this is why I prefer MOI builds.

Swing weight is over rated IMO. Does the average golfer know the difference of D0 or D2.

With MOI every club feels the same, and requires the same amount of energy to swing each club. Combined with TLT, TFT you have the best of all worlds.
      JIM
      Kona Golf Sales

WIB-

What Day is it?

But Be Sure They Will Be
      TLT & TFT & Spined /Flo'd
      Single Length Irons and Hybrids

Comment

This is where some have a complete misunderstanding of head weight feel.

This is why I do all my swingweight work before the grip is installed. If the target of a final swing weight is D2 (which is based on a 52g grip) you would target an E2 swing weight before installing the grip. By installing the grip - the head weight and shaft weigh have not changed past the 14 inch fulcrum, and the MOI number will not move regardless of grip weight. So if you now install an 82g grip the swing weight will read roughly 6 swingweight points light at near C6. If you install a 25g grip your swing weight will go up to something like a D7.
        Dan - thanks so much. great read for MOI. If my target is D0-D1 is my target going to be E1 without the grip. Sorry, I realize there's charts someplace on this. Many thanks - Bill-

Comment

Originally posted by woody View Post
          Dan - thanks so much. great read for MOI. If my target is D0-D1 is my target going to be E1 without the grip. Sorry, I realize there's charts someplace on this. Many thanks - Bill-
          Yes, 10 swingweight points difference for a 52g grip, so a D1 with grip is an E1 without a grip.
          Regards
          Dan

True Length Technology TM
          Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
          True Frequency Technology TM
          - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
          - Master
          Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
          - Advanced / Professional
          Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
          - Class 'A'